What's new

Epson Powerlite Home 10 (1 Viewer)

Wendy C

Auditioning
Hubby & I are getting ready for our first HT. I'm the techie in the family and the decision is up to me. I've been lurking for several weeks and doing lots of research. First of all, "Thanks guys!" for all the great info.

I've pondered the X1 et al, I thought about the LT240(K) and many other options... I think my head's gonna explode! I need help! My local HT store is recommending the new Epson Powerlite Home 10. Has anyone heard anything about this puppy? Is this an SVGA?

Our planned HT space is our livingroom, roughly 12x22ft and we expect to have some ambient lighting. Proposed 16:9 screen size is 96" wide. Hubby's lookin' forward to lotsa hockey games, I watch movies.

As it's our first time, I prefer to keep costs really low. We figure after 2-3 years, we'd upgrade. Please advise.

Many thanks,
Wendy

ChadLB

Screenwriter
You can go to my link and then see a comparison of the X1/Z1 and panny 200/300. The epson is not on there since it is newer....Remember the X1 is not 16:9 Native so you will have bars top/bottom of screen in that mode. Very nice projector for the price. I demoed one a week ago. Still on the fence X1/Z1/Panny 200 or Espon Home 10...not sure yet. Do some reading over at projectorcentral.com and here and other places.

Wendy C

Auditioning
Thanks, Chad. I demo'd the X1 recently and although I was initially very impressed with the overall quality, I did see some rainbows and it made me slightly nauseous! And I would like the 16:9.

Specs on the Home 10 look pretty decent and Epson est price around $1299, which seems great for 16:9. I haven't found anything on Projectorcentral other than Epson's press release. Kinda surprised there doesn't appear to be any buzz about the Home 10. Hoping someone on HT forum can provide more info.

Wendy

Scott.T

Agent
Has anyone heard anything about this puppy? Is this an SVGA?
Yeah, thats my review in the post above. A couple of weeks on and I am still extremely happy! My wife, who didn't really want me to buy it admitted the other day "It's cooler than I thought it would be" that put a smile on my face. (I knew that would happen, she didn't want me to get the DVD player, or new sound system either, but now she loves them, and buys as many DVDs as I do.)

It is not SVGA, it is WVGA (854x480) which is better for widescreen viewing, but if you are going to watch alot of 4:3 you might be better off with an SVGA projector.

Wendy C

Auditioning
I'm hoping to demo the Home 10 this week. And after reading Scott's review I'm going to watch out for the screen door effect. We're going for a 106" diagonal 16:9 screen but we do have some good depth in the room which will hopefully compensate for the screen size. Also, I will have the PJ & screen fully installed for me (I'm not that much of a techie!) so presumably the installer will also adjust pic quality.

Chad, it seems the Z1 is closest in price and specs to the Home 10, right? I guess I figure the Home 10 is 'newer' and the Z1 is more likely to be 'upgraded' so I might as well go for the newest. But mostly I'm considering the Home 10 cause the guy at the store is really big on it. Plus it's slightly higher lumens. Our livingroom is similar to Scott's room. One entire wall is floor to ceiling windows, one wall has two higher narrow windows, the back of the livingroom leads into an open kitchen and the last wall leads partially to a foyer and stairs. It's not quite as light drenched as Scott's (esp since I'm in Vancouver and it's rainy/grey 3 seasons of the year :angry:) but it's still pretty bright at times and there's no way of totally darkening the room.

The sales guy said a native 16:9 machine at this price is a real breakthrough. He's also really pushing 16:9 format. He sez HDTV is mandatory in 2 yrs so there's sense getting 4:3 and that's why 4:3 format machines are so cheap. Don't know if he's just spinning me a line. But I felt comfortable with him and so far feel like I can trust him.

Assuming the demo experience is good, and no one here has any serious warnings to share (?!?), I think I'm going with the Epson.

Thanks,
W

Wendy C

Auditioning
Just wanted everyone to know I've set to demo the Home 10. It was scheduled to be available at my retailer last week but the shipment is late. I'm now expecting to check it out mid/late next week. Will definitely post impressions once I've had a chance to 'kick the tires'!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks