Epson PowerLite Home 10 or InFocus X1?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ramon O. Valera, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I have decided to go with FP instead of a RPTV. Now our budget is very limited. Which of the following would you recommend? Epson PowerLite Home 10 or InFocus X1? Both are under 1000 right now and within our budget. Someone else here recommended the Panny L300U(I think that's the one) but it is about 400-500 dollars more. Is it that much better?

Thanks!
    Ramon

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Have you considered the Sanyo Z1 or Matinee 1HD....What do you want out of it....the Epson is LCD and 16:9 native while the X1 is DLP and 4:3 native.

3. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

We will mostly use it for Movies and XBox games. Which do you recommend?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ramon the guy I bought my 1HD from just got the Epson in and according to him its got about the same colours and possibly better blacks but its very close. The kicker is though its lower resolution and slightly more expensive then the 1HD or Z1 so IMO I'd get the 1HD if you can.

5. Scott.T

Scott.T Agent

I bought the home 10. The Z1 was out of my price range, and I was bothered by rainbows on the X1 (make sure you get a decent demo!) I am really happy with the epson!

6. _Alan Preston_

I just bought the Home 10 on Saturday. I love it, picture is awesome, screendoor is really not a problem, unless you are actively looking for it. I am using a screen which is 120" on the diagonal, and sitting only about 3 meters back.

I only compared it with other LCD PJs though, as rainbows really bothered me, so I decided not to look at budget DLP PJs.

7. Emanuel

Emanuel Extra

How do you like the Home 10? I'm currently using an NEC VT540 for the past 2 years and I recently moved. My throw distance has been more than halved so the Epson and the Hitachi Home 1 were the only 2 projectors in my price range that'll give me a large image that I'm used to in a relatively short throw distance. Only reason I was considering the Hitachi was that it has a V & H lens shift that can be adjusted. I've used epson projectors in education, but went with the NEC at home at the time due to lower noise levels compared to the older Epsons. Is the Home 10 pretty quiet in Theater Black mode? How is the adjustability of it? I'm looking for something that can be tweaked pretty well... Any info is greatly appreciated.

8. Emanuel

Emanuel Extra

I'll have to take a look at some DLP's. I was looking at NEC's. My concern was for the rainbow effect since I heard it was so prevelant in the older DLP's. Only bad thing about LCD's though are dead pixels, and pixels that eventually burn out. I had several on my first 3 NEC's before I got one that was acceptable.

9. Emanuel

Emanuel Extra

Hi Everyone:

I ended up purchasing the Home 10 too. I've placed a new thread out with a review on it. Screenshots have been requested so hopefully they will be available for all to see.