What's new

Epson LS 10500 versus Epson 6050UB (1 Viewer)

Donjmar

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Marshall
I am building my own Home Theater, Not very experienced in equipment I should buy. I am looking at an Epson LS10500, Technology is a few years old, or should I buy an Epson 6050UB? Both of them are around the same price. Sales person told me that the laser projector is the best one for the money, since it used to sell for $8000, please advise me which way I should go.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd probably either go for Epson's newly announced (LS12000) flagship laser PJ at ~$5K or maybe just go for the 5050UB whenever there's the next, recurring sale/instant-rebate (for ~$2.5K final price) and just enjoy that while you wait for something better (that will actually last you more than just a few years... and then be pleasantly surprised if the 5050UB actually lasts you much longer)...

There's probably not nearly enough diff between the 5050UB, 6050UB and LS10500 me thinks. Just save the $ for something else -- there's always something else -- or the next PJ upgrade instead...

_Man_

Donjmar

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Marshall
Thank you, however waiting is not an option, I’m building home theater now, going to buy laser, if the picture is about the same, much longer bulb life!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thank you, however waiting is not an option, I’m building home theater now, going to buy laser, if the picture is about the same, much longer bulb life!
I've owned the 6050 for about 18 months. It's a great projector and you will not be disappointed should you go that route. I too have been eyeing the newly announced LS12000 as an eventual replacement but am somewhat disappointed by the lack of true dynamic tone mapping from Epson at this point. I've said before that if I do buy another projector it will definitely be laser based. I think I still feel the same but it is worth considering that the replacement cost of the 5050/6050 lamp is only slightly north of $100.00 and it is rated for 3000 hours. The lamp vs laser equation makes more sense with JVC models, whose lamp replacements cost many times more. Finally, unless [like me] you feel a black case is more aesthetically appropriate for your room, I'd probably just look for a 5050 as @ManW_TheUncool suggested.

Donjmar

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Marshall
Thank you, I was going to buy the 5050 but because of the white color I was gonna buy the 6050, but this laser printer is $500 less and it’s black. I think I’m gonna go with it because of the long bulb life. I know the bulbs aren’t that expensive but this way I don’t have to change it. Some people told me that there’s not much difference between the picture

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Too bad the 12000 doesn't do 3D, I'll stick with the 6050 if and when I decide. Not going to give up my very large 3D collection.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Too bad the 12000 doesn't do 3D, I'll stick with the 6050 if and when I decide. Not going to give up my very large 3D collection.
Unless the dynamic contrast feature proves to be a real tone mapping solution I tend to agree. 6050 lamp replacements are cheap enough to just swap them out when brightness becomes an issue, even if they're still within they're useable service life.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Unless the dynamic contrast feature proves to be a real tone mapping solution I tend to agree. 6050 lamp replacements are cheap enough to just swap them out when brightness becomes an issue, even if they're still within they're useable service life.

If it were me, 3D is a priority as well so I’d do the 5050/6050. But if 3D wasn’t ever going to be used, I’d consider giving the 12000 a real audition.

Donjmar

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Marshall
Sounds like nobody likes the Epson LS10500, does anybody have one but can give me a review. Because I’ve already purchased the laser projector, is there a particular reason that nobody is picking that projector? Or was the $8000 price the reason nobody has one? Because I’m getting one for $3500 with a three-year new warranty

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Sounds like nobody likes the Epson LS10500, does anybody have one but can give me a review. Because I’ve already purchased the laser projector, is there a particular reason that nobody is picking that projector? Or was the $8000 price the reason nobody has one? Because I’m getting one for $3500 with a three-year new warranty
I don't think it's a matter of people not liking it, it's just not the latest model in it's class. Taking a brief look at the specs, as a laser projector I'm surprised it doesn't offer more lumens [1500 compared to the 2600 lumens of the 6050] but as long as your environment is light-controlled that's probably not a big deal. Since I already have the 6050, if I were upgrading I would want the LS12000 but only you can decide what's best for your specific situation. Congrats! I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new projector.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah I just don’t have that unit - my 5030 is still chugging along eight years later - but in general I have been extremely happy with Epson projectors, the quality and longevity of the machines and the excellence of the customer service. An LS10500 at $3500, I mean, I can’t argue with that. That sounds like an outstanding home viewing experience.

Donjmar

Auditioning
Real Name
Don Marshall
I don't think it's a matter of people not liking it, it's just not the latest model in it's class. Taking a brief look at the specs, as a laser projector I'm surprised it doesn't offer more lumens [1500 compared to the 2600 lumens of the 6050] but as long as your environment is light-controlled that's probably not a big deal. Since I already have the 6050, if I were upgrading I would want the LS12000 but only you can decide what's best for your specific situation. Congrats! I'm sure you'll be very happy with your new projector.
Yes it is a controlled lighting situation, it is in a dedicated movie room, and I was told 1500 lumens on a laser projector was plenty enough light, however I think I was told that on an Epson review for the product. And when my theater room is finished I will definitely post the results

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Premium
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The 10500 is a great projector with excellent black levels. It is gen 1 for HDR and doesnt have a huge amount of light out. It will do 3D. If it is on close out or discontinued pricing in the 1500-2500 range it would be a fantastic buy. Since the new epson laser projectors have been announced, the obvious choice would be the LS11000 at $4000 MSRP (not sure when they will easily be attainable. )

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Epson LS11000 is half the price and has all the latest features. It ships in May. You can’t even wait 2 months? :) I am eventually going to get this one when the bulb starts to get low on my 5040UB, though I’ll have to keep it around for whenever I want to watch 3D.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The 10500 is a great projector with excellent black levels. It is gen 1 for HDR and doesnt have a huge amount of light out. It will do 3D. If it is on close out or discontinued pricing in the 1500-2500 range it would be a fantastic buy. Since the new epson laser projectors have been announced, the obvious choice would be the LS11000 at $4000 MSRP (not sure when they will easily be attainable. )

The Epson LS11000 is half the price and has all the latest features. It ships in May. You can’t even wait 2 months? :) I am eventually going to get this one when the bulb starts to get low on my 5040UB, though I’ll have to keep it around for whenever I want to watch 3D.
Early reviews assess the LS11000 as more a laser equivalent to the Epson 4010 series, and not at all comparable to the 5050 / 6050 or LS12000.

I wouldn’t rush into the 11000 without being sure it’s the set of compromises you really want.

The 12000 is out, people are finding it at their local BestBuy with a little looking and luck. I can’t see buying the 10500 for a new home theater unless it’s a superb price — or very much a transitional projector to tide you over a couple years to next gen laser projectors.

If 3D is important or you don’t want to risk on the somewhat-unknowns of laser illumination, I’d look for a good deal on the 5050 / 6050.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toddggolden
Recent bookmarks