What's new

Epson introduces its most advanced Laser Projector to Date: Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD LS12000 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m again thinking seriously about the LS12000. I’ve heard from one or two Sony 40ES owners (my current projector) that the LS12000 is a big improvement in practice over the 40ES for contrast and color. And the HDR management is fine, good enough for viewing, not needing constant adjustment in movie to dial it in.

The risk of contrast degradation on Sony’s has me a little spooked — for a $6000 purchase.

I gotta find a demo. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I'm hoping maybe Robert Zohn or Gregg Loewen can give us some insight here. What exactly is the problem with the availability of both the LS12000 and the LS11000? My order for the former is scheduled for a mid-July delivery so I've got no complaints (yet), but I'm curious as to why when checking through online retailers, they all show back-order with expected delivery months in advance. Is that normal for popular new projectors? Is the demand for these particular ones much higher than expected, or is the demand normal, or actually pretty low and Epson has other supply-chain issues?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys
The Epson issue is the same as the JVC issue.
Lack of chips, covid factory closures, supply chain issues. High demand.
Epson is now stating units will start to arrive towards the end of June. There is no way they will able to fulfill all pre orders at 1 time, so expect fulfillment to occur over 1-3 months ?
I have JVC units that I ordered in September that I still dont have in inventory.
Crazy times.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So I'm hoping maybe Robert Zohn or Gregg Loewen can give us some insight here. What exactly is the problem with the availability of both the LS12000 and the LS11000? My order for the former is scheduled for a mid-July delivery so I've got no complaints (yet), but I'm curious as to why when checking through online retailers, they all show back-order with expected delivery months in advance. Is that normal for popular new projectors? Is the demand for these particular ones much higher than expected, or is the demand normal, or actually pretty low and Epson has other supply-chain issues?

It’s just kinda everything. Epson, JVC, and Sony are all late and low supply for new projectors. Sony’s launch date keeps pushing back from announcement just a couple months ago.
im better star trek GIF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So while waiting for delivery of my projector next month, I decided it would be a good time to knock out some 3D viewings while I still could. I'm not losing much. The 3D performance on my Epson 5040ub has degraded to the point that it's no longer enjoyable. Ghosting is as bad as it has ever been. Perhaps the bulb has dimmed too much (I tried boosting the brightness but that didn't help) or maybe the glasses are no longer functioning at their peak. Anyway until some new home 3D technology comes along that will allow me enjoy my 3D blu-rays again, 3D will have to be on indefinite pause and instead I will enjoy the life-like, laser-array 4K HDR that the new Epson will give me.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Anyone tried viewing 3D movies in a VR headset? Seems like that may be the easiest & by far least expensive way going forward for the occasional 3D fix.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So my target delivery date of 7-14 has come and gone. BestBuy sent an email saying my order has been delayed and they are working to get it to me in the next few days. I’m beginning to fear they may cancel the order (as they say they will do if they don’t get it by 7-28), which considering they charged my Best Buy card 2 months ago and I’ve already made 2 payments, would mean they would have to give me a full refund.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Anyone tried viewing 3D movies in a VR headset? Seems like that may be the easiest & by far least expensive way going forward for the occasional 3D fix.
When you originally posted this I made a mental note to look into it as I have zero experience with this technology. Based on what I'm seeing there no simple way to view your 3D discs with VR headsets without some sort of intermediary app. If/when this option becomes as simple as using 3D glasses I might be interested.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm thinking about upgrading my four year old Optima UHD60 with a laser projector. I would say from my experience that any projector with under 3000 lumens is going to struggle with all the dark 4K UHD HDR transfers. My faux 4K projector, which puts out 3000 lumens in a completely light-controlled environment projects really good pictures, if the HDR isn't heavy handed.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Spoiler alert: it’s all about the blacks
Thanks Sam! I like this reviewers objective presentation style. I still believe Epson has something better in the works that will ultimately provide a dynamic tone mapping solution while still maintaining their relative value position. The question for me is "how long might I be willing to keep my fingers crossed."

1658240057807.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This informed and pragmatic comparison is exactly what I‘ve wanted and want more of. I really hope to see the same with the new Sony.

And I’ve registered to attend a mini HT convention in Raleigh, NC. They’re supposed to have Epson, Sony, JVC reps with the new projectors on demo. I’m really hoping this will be my opportunity to get real-world looks at how they perform and compare. And maybe then be comfortable to make a buying decision this year.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well finally the day has arrived. After 73 days of waiting, Best Buy has delivered my LS12000. It's going to take me some time to get it tweaked just right. It's ridiculously bright. Honestly it's a bit of overkill for my needs. I have to set up separate image settings for SDR and HDR as the settings that work for one don't work for the other. Black levels are kind of underwhelming at this point. I think I'll probably be using a much lower brightness level than what some are recommending, but I'll certainly never again have to complain about HDR images being "too dark"!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well finally the day has arrived. After 73 days of waiting, Best Buy has delivered my LS12000. It's going to take me some time to get it tweaked just right. It's ridiculously bright. Honestly it's a bit of overkill for my needs. I have to set up separate image settings for SDR and HDR as the settings that work for one don't work for the other. Black levels are kind of underwhelming at this point. I think I'll probably be using a much lower brightness level than what some are recommending, but I'll certainly never again have to complain about HDR images being "too dark"!

Seems normal that you should want different settings for SDR vs HDR... at least given how these things (still) tend to work. Afterall, HDR content are generally mastered for much higher peak brightness (w/ much greater dynamic range and thus most likely different resultant gamma)... although ideally, one would want the display to automatically switch properly for you...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Congrats @Mark-P ! Can't wait to hear more of your impressions once you get things dialed in. Maybe even a few pics?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I also want to congratulate Mark on his new projector purchase. Keep us posted on your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks