What's new

Epson introduces its most advanced Laser Projector to Date: Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD LS12000 (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Well at least if they drop 3D Blu Rays I'll have my 3D films to continue watching. I think I'll go through my 3D BD collection and see how many are both 3D and
2D disc. Hopefully my Epson 5010 will last a few more years. I've had it for about 12 years already on the original bulb.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well at least if they drop 3D Blu Rays I'll have my 3D films to continue watching. I think I'll go through my 3D BD collection and see how many are both 3D and
2D disc. Hopefully my Epson 5010 will last a few more years. I've had it for about 12 years already on the original bulb.

12 years? Maybe it's time to upgrade anyway perhaps to the 5050 at a good price -- I paid ~$2.4K shipped for mine -- while you still can for a good 4K PJ that still supports 3D...

IF the original 5010 bulb is lasting you that long, you certainly don't need laser-over-bulb for that aspect...

_Man_

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Once I follow through and get the LS12000 (probably be in the next couple of months depending on availability and financing) I’ll mount it using the same ceiling mount as my 5040UB. Then I’ll have the same dilemma as all the other 3D fans. I’ll have the ability to temporarily drag out the 5040UB to watch something in 3D, but placement won’t be ideal, perhaps on the floor in front of me which will probably be a smaller image due to the shorter throw, or I’ll have to rig a temporary tall stand behind and above me. Since my home theater isn’t exactly a dedicated room (it‘s not fully enclosed, but runs into the kitchen) mounting two projectors really isn’t an option as there just isn’t enough space.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's our very own @Robert_Zohn discussing the upcoming Sony projectors for the first time on YouTube.
new thread here:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So I guess I’m the first forum member to bite the bullet and actually order this thing. My local BestBuy Magnolia dealer allowed me to order one. Estimated to be ready for pickup on July 14th!!! I knew there would be a wait, but 2 months is gut wrenching.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Mark. I am being told that I will have delivery of units mid May. Let me know if you would like me to assist you with a purchase.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I just confirmed with Epson, though I was off a week, I am being told late May for delivery.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I think I'll share this both here and in the Avatar 3D thread.

I'm preparing for what needs to be my last projector upgrade so that I can fully retire without the cloud of another huge HT expense looming over my head at some point. Got the speakers, [for the most part] got the subs and I've got the screen. I may want another Pre/Pro at some point but that's for another thread and another time. I also realize there will always be some expense. I'm just trying to cover the big ones.

I love my Epson 6050 but, for several reasons, my final projector needs to be laser based. When the Epson LS12000 was announced I thought I might have found the 6050's replacement and at an acceptable price but alas, no 3D, something you've been able to take for granted in Epson projectors for many years now!

With the next realistic contender costing more than double the LS12000's already hefty price I knew it was time for me to have a reckoning of sorts with 3D. It had been so long since I'd even used the feature that I needed to order new sets of glasses. They arrived yesterday and I popped in one of my favorites, Tron Legacy. My wife isn't usually big into watching films in the Theater room but she was all in for this showing. For me, properly done of course, 3D adds a whole new, well, "dimension" that elevates the overall experience all that much more. This is especially true in a light-controlled room and on a large screen. Tomorrow I'll probably be watching Gravity, another favorite.

In conclusion, my mind is made up. I'm not letting go of 3D and I'm serious enough about it to spring for the Sony 7000 or JVC NZ7. Now I just have to allocate the funds. :confused:

Typo folks. I meant the Sony 6000. Thanks for the catch, @DaveF

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Hi Mark. I am being told that I will have delivery of units mid May. Let me know if you would like me to assist you with a purchase.
Thanks for the offer, Gregg. I somehow missed your post. But my order was already placed and Best Buy is giving me 24 month no-interest financing. I'm hoping their July 14th delivery date is just being super conservative and I'll get it sooner.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In conclusion, my mind is made up. I'm not letting go of 3D and I'm serious enough about it to spring for the Sony 7000 or JVC NZ7. Now I just have to allocate the funds. :confused:
If you’re looking at the XW7000 ($28k), you should be looking at the NZ9 ($26k). :)

You maybe typo'd and meant XW6000 ($12k), the price peer to the N7 ($11k)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm preparing for what needs to be my last projector upgrade so that I can fully retire without the cloud of another huge HT expense looming over my head at some point. Got the speakers, [for the most part] got the subs and I've got the screen. I may want another Pre/Pro at some point but that's for another thread and another time. I also realize there will always be some expense. I'm just trying to cover the big ones.
Also, if you seriously expect this last projector to last you 5+ years with excellent performance, I urge you to read about Sony's SXRD panel degradation problems, so you can factor that into your buying and ownership plans.

The XW5000 seems like my sweet spot right now. But I'm also thinking of getting a light meter to track black floor and contrast annually so I can fight Sony over warranty service in three years if the unit suffers contrast loss.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Also, if you seriously expect this last projector to last you 5+ years with excellent performance, I urge you to read about Sony's SXRD panel degradation problems, so you can factor that into your buying and ownership plans.

The XW5000 seems like my sweet spot right now. But I'm also thinking of getting a light meter to track black floor and contrast annually so I can fight Sony over warranty service in three years if the unit suffers contrast loss.

So basically, don't count on any of this stuff lasting very long (at least at optimal/like-new performance)? :P

Ah well... 'twas always just a pipedream I suppose... On the plus side (sorta), our eyes also won't keep operating at "like new" performance to matter as much... :lol:

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So basically, don't count on any of this stuff lasting very long (at least at optimal/like-new performance)? :P

Ah well... 'twas always just a pipedream I suppose... :lol:

_Man_
More, from my reading, if I really thought I was going for a “retirement” projector, I’d probably balance out with NZ8.

They all have risks of performance issues and image imperfections.

But Sony is the only one I’ve read of a known risk of long-term, profound performance degradation that can make a flagship $25k projector perform like a $4000 LS11000 in two years.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

No link, Professor? OK - I'll do my own homework and check it out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
No link, Professor? OK - I'll do my own homework and check it out.
I’ve been reading about it for years, starting about a year after bought my Sony 40ES — so going back to 2017. I’m hearing about it again with the new Sony projectors announced. I’ll try to find some specific links and message you in the next week.

Everyone hopes it’s finally fixed. But it’s said this is an issue that has affect Sony projection products going back to RPTV in 2007 and was instrumental to killing their cinema projector business.

So, not a reason to not buy Sony. It doesn’t affect 100% of units. But it’s an “eyes wide open” purchase issue especially if you’ve got a 20 year lifetime assumed for the device.

Since I’m buying for the next ~6 years, I feel like it’s a risk I can balance against all the other compromises in buying a 4K projector.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Interesting review discussing calibrating the Dynamic mode and getting great HDR and dynamic contrast on the LS11000. I’ve read one user discussion on doing the same subsequently on an LS12000 and getting great results.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Interesting review discussing calibrating the Dynamic mode and getting great HDR and dynamic contrast on the LS11000. I’ve read one user discussion on doing the same subsequently on an LS12000 and getting great results.
Yes that is interesting. Other reviews have suggested starting with Natural mode then adjusting the light output to 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks