What's new

Epson introduces its most advanced Laser Projector to Date: Epson Pro Cinema 4K PRO-UHD LS12000 (3 Viewers)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So, what again is the reason it can’t do 3D?
This was brought up back in post #24. We "think" it has to do with this statement from the Epson product description but really, who knows. I haven't ruled this projector out yet but think it might be prudent to wait just a little while longer.

• Epson UltraBlack™ Technology – Taking full advantage of the Laser Array Light Source, Epson created a proprietary compensation filter that controls the polarization of light itself. This allows Epson to suppress any stray light within the signal and dramatically enhance the picture contrast to produce an infinite Dynamic Contrast Ratio exceeding 2,500,000:1

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If I do eventually decide on the LS12000 it would be nice to have the option to purchase without the $300.00 ceiling mount, which I have no need for. The LS12000 weighs only a few pounds more than my 6050 and the mount I got with that one is good up to 50 pounds so I expect the identical kit is included here. I really wish Epson would rethink their bundling practices.

Last edited:

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, this is the same company that until a month ago, charged an extra $1000 to get a projector in black instead of white. So, not holding my breath. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They also included some extra kind of warranty and service plan and replacement lamps so you ultimately got more than just the color. Maybe not $1000 worth of stuff but at least half that.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
They also included some extra kind of warranty and service plan and replacement lamps so you ultimately got more than just the color. Maybe not $1000 worth of stuff but at least half that.
Right. Compared to the 5050, the 6050 purportedly offers slightly improved optics [cherry picked lens assemblies from the production line] in addition to the ceiling mount and spare bulb. It also adds an extra year of warranty for a total of 3 years. That came in handy for me as mine was just replaced under the warranty which is set to expire this July.

With the mount listing for $299.00 on their site and the bulb replacements averaging around $150.00, you're getting about $450.00 of tangible value. Whether or not the projector color and extra warranty are enough to make up the rest is a personal matter. For me I just needed he black color to compliment my room. Still, once you have a suitable mount you shouldn't have to keep buying new ones from them every time you wan to upgrade your Pro line projector.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Shit, just $150 for bulbs on the 6050? That’s great. They’re like $250-300 for the 5030!

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd like to upgrade, but I don't see myself doing it this round... unless Epson (or a dealer) offers a good value trade-in for my ~1.5-yo 5050.

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'd like to upgrade, but I don't see myself doing it this round... unless Epson (or a dealer) offers a good value trade-in for my ~1.5-yo 5050.

_Man_
That would be nice. I asked about it during my recent warranty exchange and Epson offers no such program, which is disappointing. Still, I think the best value is always in selling gear privately. The 5050/6050 are still excellent options in the overall marketplace and could become affordable for a whole new tier of enthusiasts on the secondary market.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

_Man_
The LS12k is $5k, the LS11k is $4k with inferior contrast, the formerly $4k 6050 and $3k 5050 hard to come by and/or discontinued; and inflation on electronics is real.

I‘d guess that you could sell your 5050 for a pretty reasonable price used right now.

The flip side, the L12k is hard to come by as well. :)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m in a holding pattern right now. I need to figure out if I can pull a new HDMI cable through to the projector location or if I need to hire my old installer. But thats a weekend job for me and I don’t have a weekend to tear apart my theater in the near term.

I also hope to find a demo of the LS12k but again don’t have time right now.

And there are continued rumors of a Sony update sooner than later. I’m skeptical Sony is coming in with a JVC-peer at Epson prices, but I’m the guy that waits for all options to buy fully informed (and maximally agonized).

If I can figure out my HDMI situation and Sony comes at normal Sony price and features, then I’ll probably blind-buy the Epson. The JVC NP5 is tempting, but at $7k plus taxes…looking at how happy I am with a six year old 1080p Sony with middling black levels, I expect I’ll be ok with the Epson and having to push the HDR button once in a while.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I’m in a holding pattern right now. I need to figure out if I can pull a new HDMI cable through to the projector location or if I need to hire my old installer. But thats a weekend job for me and I don’t have a weekend to tear apart my theater in the near term.
Boy do I understand this position! Of course you "can" but is it worth the time and agony vs just hiring someone. There are lots of things I wouldn't have tackled personally if I had a reliable and reasonably priced professional option. I envy you in that regard.
And there are continued rumors of a Sony update sooner than later. I’m skeptical Sony is coming in with a JVC-peer at Epson prices, but I’m the guy that waits for all options to buy fully informed (and maximally agonized).
I seriously doubt Sony [or JVC] would even try to play in Epson's court, price wise.

Concerning buy now or wait, I sort of look at it like a pension annuity. "I'm taking mine early." Not immediately but early. Taking it later would result in higher payouts but for a shorter time period. Put in context, the longer you wait, the less time you have to enjoy whatever you eventually buy. At this point in my life, I'm really not much into waiting but I may have to make an exception for a little while in this particular case. Generally, I tend to be a bit more adventurous and impulsive but sometimes pay the price in the form of buyers remorse.
If I can figure out my HDMI situation and Sony comes at normal Sony price and features, then I’ll probably blind-buy the Epson. The JVC NP5 is tempting, but at $7k plus taxes…looknig at how happy I am with a six year old 1080p Sony with middling black levels, I expect I’ll be ok with the Epson and having to push the HDR button once in a while.
I'm sort of leaning the same way. After all, who's to say you'd be satisfied with the auto tone-mapping results of the JVC. It's entirely possible [especially for a guy like me] there would still be some occasional tweaking.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Boy do I understand this position! Of course you "can" but is it worth the time and agony vs just hiring someone. There are lots of things I wouldn't have tackled personally if I had a reliable and reasonably priced professional option. I envy you in that regard.
It’s the “reasonably priced” that’s the issue. They’ll charge about $150/hr, I think last time I checked on ad hoc services. So figure it will cost $300+ to run a cable and they might insist on their overpriced $300 custom-installer sourced cable. So, doing the cable myself is much preferred.

If I feel the need to go with them, then I need to talk with them about selling me the projector as well and trying to bundle up a package to try and get some price management that way.

And it’s been six years since they built my room. I have no confidence they have the same people or any collective memory of my room that would make them particularly good at doing this cable upgrade today (versus doing it just a year or two after the room was built).

But…there are a number of pro-am enthusiasts that I could hire for probably a more reasonable rate to help with this, if I wanted. But that’s more work to find someone, schedule during a pandemic, etc.

My other option is to ignore. My current cabling should support 4K 30 hz, which is probably ok until I decide to upgrade to a PS5 for video gaming, which isn’t on my priority list.

I seriously doubt Sony [or JVC] would even try to play in Epson's court, price wise.

The Sony rumors and wishcasting are that Sony recognizes they’re no longer competitive in performance or pricing and launches new projectors and pricing that is competitive with where Epson and JVC are.

As Sony currently has a $5500 projector, they might possibly launch a projector to compete with Epson LS12000 and JVC NP5. Or maybe they’ve performance updates and they’ll launch those at JVC pricing plus a little premium because “Sony”. Or it will be another disappointing weak-sauce update like last year’s nothing-burger updates to their line.

Concerning buy now or wait, I sort of look at it like a pension annuity. "I'm taking mine early." Not immediately but early. Taking it later would result in higher payouts but for a shorter time period. Put in context, the longer you wait, the less time you have to enjoy whatever you eventually buy. At this point in my life, I'm really not much into waiting but I may have to make an exception for a little while in this particular case. Generally, I tend to be a bit more adventurous and impulsive but sometimes pay the price in the form of buyers remorse.

I'm sort of leaning the same way. After all, who's to say you'd be satisfied with the auto tone-mapping results of the JVC. It's entirely possible [especially for a guy like me] there would still be some occasional tweaking.
In different circumstances, I might be moving faster to get this decided. I’m reaching the point where I just want to have the current 4K upgrade done and start enjoying watching stuff. This also makes me think about buying the JVC NP5 because at some point I feel that I can spend the money to get a no-compromise projector (great blacks, great contrast, great HDR, bright enough for my room) and have no regrets, over staying in budget and maybe having regrets soon after.

My problem is I have time to agonize over this and do web research at night or in the morning . But I don’t have daytime time and easy access to get real demos and tear-apart-theater work to actually decide and buy. :D

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yes we're Epson dealer and I need to get my Epson webpages for the new models built.
Hey Robert. If I did go with this projector at some point would VE be able to sell it at a reduced price that excludes the bundled mount? I'm pretty sure it's the same one I got with my 6050 and I have no need of another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks