Epson C82 for $30 at Best Buy!

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just so people know, the Epson C82 (a respectable color inkjet printer) is on sale for $99 at Best Buy. But wait, if you buy before July 26th, you get two rebates:

One from Best Buy for $50 (a rebate not a gift card)
    One from Epson for $20 (this one is valid until much later, but the biggie is the Best Buy rebate)

So your net price is $29 + tax for the $99 price (the rebates obviously don't reduce the tax).

I've read reviews for the C82 rating from "good to very good" and that was at the $100 price point. At $30 I don't think you can do much better! Picked one up today and will hook it up tomorrow (working late tonight).

Happy shopping!

2. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I think Fry's is running a similar promotion at $30 if you don't have a BB nearby (unlikely?). Man, I just bought a C42UX a couple months ago for $50 when my old 400 crapped out. Oh well.

Bob

3. Carlo Medina

Yeah Fry's had it advertised this weekend, but in Los Angeles they are few and far between, and are often out of stock of items that are on sale.

Best Buy has probably the best chance of having it in stock.

4. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

The $50 BB rebate is a mail-in, right?

5. Carlo Medina

Yes, both rebates are, for Best Buy's sale.

6. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I just picked one up today. The guy said the only downside to this printer is that it doesn't print well on glossy. I didn't realize printers these days don't come with cables. I didn't feel like buying a usb cable, so I reused my old parallel cable from my epson stylus 400 (maybe 5 years old or more). The test page came out pretty good. Oh, it seems the ink will cost even more with this printer.

Here's a stupid question. Would it print faster with a usb cable? Also, the guy at the store said the ink that's included is smaller or something and doesn't have a full load like you would buy normally, so I would have to replace the ink soon. Any truth to this?

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

heh, I found out the same thing. If the C82 is similar to the the C42UX, my C42 sucks up or spits out (whatever the right term is) ink like no tomorrow. During the school year, we were going through black cartridges about every couple weeks and color about once a month.

I'm trying some knock off brand cartridges which are about half the price. Of course, they probably aren't available in durabright inks for the C82.

Regarding the parallel vs. usb, I only think that it would have an effect if you have a large file to print. Using a USB cable will get the data to the printer quicker, but the actual printing on paper would probably not change.

Bob

8. Carlo Medina

9. Carlo Medina

Okay that salesman (both of them actually, the guy who told it to you, and the guy who told it to me) is full of crap.

The ink tanks felt heavy (I am familiar with how much they should weigh in your hands) and if that wasn't proof enough, the C82 comes with an ink-level-monitoring program and all four tanks are full.

What was the point of them lying? Trying to make us buy ink? What is the point? If we bought extra ink now it would just be longer until we purchased ink again...

10. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

Lying is a strong term, as a former Circuit City salesperson I prefer to think of it as spin or suggestive selling [​IMG] You asked the salesperson a question and rather than responding with a blank stare he just made something up.

12. Carlo Medina

[​IMG]
    Of course what chaps my hide is that this lie...er suggestive selling...is apparently not a one-misled-person phenomenon. Jon in S.D. got the exact same line I got in L.A. So that means that they're either told to say this, or trained in it, or that Best Buy employees have some crazy network where they all gossip about the best lies to tell customers.

Disappointing.

13. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Sorry, "we" as in my wife and kids. Wife has been writing papers for her classes as well as my middle daughter. My youngest likes to print out those pictures from software where you color the pictures. I can't imagine the ink you would go through if you were printing for an entire classroom of kids.

I'm just comparing it to my old Stylus 400 and in comparision, the C42 cartridges are either smaller or the printer deposits more ink on the paper than the 400 did. YMMV.

Bob

P.S. I am not a BB salesman.....