What's new

Epson 1080 P vs Sony VM 40, etc (1 Viewer)

Collin.R

Grip
I was convinced that I would be buying the Epson 1080P projector for my absolutely dark room and run it in economy mode and still get a bright enough picture. The Sony VM 40 is more money; but would work well in my dark HT.

I have a narrow 9.5' room and a low 7' ceiling underneath my garage. I would have preferred a larger and higher room, of course: but this is what it is and I am determined to make it work and silence my critcs, hopefully.

A friend of mine totally hates the 3 LCD of the Epson and suggests that a DLP would be better, such as Optoma (limited in heigth of screen and a color wheel which I would like to avoid). I don't like fan noise; but I will have to put up with it with the Epson, whereas the Sony is very quiet.
Oh, my friend says there is a convergence problem with the 3 LCD in the Epson and it does not have a sealed bulb to keep out dust, etc
Any views as to problems with the Epson? Should I spend the extra bucks and get the Sony?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Why do you want to avoid a color wheel? I'm a big fan of DLP projectors. LCD projectors have too many potential problems for me.

Collin.R

Grip
Jim McC, I own a 61" Samsung DLP which I have had for over four years. The color wheel had to be replaced and I am just a little afraid of the dreaded "rainbow". Because of my low 7' ceiling I would have trouble getting the Optoma to project the picture high enough. I will be able to mount the projector betwwen the joists and gain a few inches; but whether it is enough to obtain sufficient height off the floor, I am just not sure. I am using a 110" screen which is 54 inches high. I only have 84" from floor to celing to work with.

Thanks for your input.

Collin

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Your ceiling is higher than mine. Mine's only 80" tall. I just angled the projector up enough to raise the image, and used keystone to correct the image shape. And it does not degrade the image quality at all(despite what video purists will tell you). If you didn't see rainbows with your TV, you won't see them with a DLP projector either. You definitely need to view a LCD projector first, if possible, to see how you like it. Because it will have a different look than the DLP you're used to.

Collin.R

Grip
After talking to Michael Han at Projectors Plus, I have been convinced to go with the BenQ W5000 which is DLP and has been marked down from $4995 to $2749 less a $500 mail-in from BenQ.

Collin

Collin.R

Grip
After some consultation with other members of this forum and some rethinking
I have finally completed my HT.

BenQ5000. Works great! I run it at the lower illumination!

I made my own 110" screen which should make a few of you happy. I used blackout cloth with a 1x4 frame and it turned out very well.

I was able to utilize my narrow room (9.5') and my low 82" celing with a rear seating level that is 6" higher at the back of the room.

I used a very deep wine color for the ceiling, doors and trim.
The carpet is a weave that has a distinct pattern and is a wine color with some lighter, in color, flecks in it.

The walls are a very deep teal color. I used flat paint on the entire room.

I used a Lutron dimming switch which is programmed into my Harmony remote.

I have motion activated pot lights that come on when the room is entered.

I used some small louvered night lights that fit into an ordinary electrical box. These lights are LED and have a 30 year warranty and are on all the time (except when the main lights (sconces) (controlled by the Lutron dimmer switch) are turned on.

My A/V gear is a very economical 7.1 Onkyo HTIB that sounds quite adequate.

A Panasonic Blu Ray player and a satellite receiver.

My wife insists that I am only permitted to watch movies, music DVD's, hockey and football games (she doesn't want to watch the sports anyway).

If anyone is interested; I can send some pics.

All those that have seen the room are very impressed.

Collin

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks