What's new

Epox 8KHa+ & hard drive (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi, I have a Epox 8KHA+ motherboard with a T-bird 1gig AMD processor installed back in 2001. I'm looking for an IDE hard drive, something that would go well with this old board. I currently have a old SCSI card, an Adaptec 2940W with some old SCSI1 devices, (a 4gig HD, CD, CD-RW). Looking at buying a secondary 40-pin IDE drive and trying to figure out what kind of drive to get. Don't want to spend money on technology that my board doesn't support.

According to the EpoX manual, the MB supports Ultra ATA-100

Just looking for plain old data storage, not a gaming machine or anything. I have a whole bunch of pictures that I could burn to CD-R and offload from my hard drive, but I'd also like to consider a new HD if I can find one cheaply..

Jay

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Any current ATA hard drive will work and all are backwards compatable with the slower specs. ATA133 drives, such as Maxtors will work just as fine on your board. It's more of a theoretical rating that will never be reached, nor hindered by an ATA100 capable IDE channel. I'd get the hard drive on sale for the week of desired capacity with an 8MB cache, for a little performance boost.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, I'll try to look for the cache specs.. Do advertisers list the cache on them. I think I saw a WD HD on sale at circuit city (100GB or something like that) for $50 (after rebates). Didn't mention a cache or anything like that.

Jay

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Sometimes they do list the cache size, and more likely if it is 8MB since that is a selling attribute. With WD drives, if you can see the model number end in JB(8MB) instead of BB(2MB), you'll know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks