What's new

Episode II DVD: 11/26 - and more... (1 Viewer)

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
Dave Moritz:
But for the rest of us who would like the option to hear a movie at home in DTS. I saw let us choose, you can listen to DD and we can listen to DTS.
You seem to be assuming an awful lot from my comments here... I am all for both formats being present on a disk, I am just hoping for more then "just" half-bitrate DTS.

Oscar

Second Unit
Ok here is my point of view on DTS vs. DD debate.

I think that DTS is superior, but due to the lower bitrate the differences are from small to none.

But i have been impressed by some DTS track this days that are half bitrate and blow away the DD soundtrack like:K-PAX, The Fast and the Furious, Desperado Superbit...

But DD sounds awesome many times, like in the TPM DVD.

It was very natural and loud. Also there was a vast use of the rear speakers for music, sound FX and background noises.

But as said, many times it´s all in the equipment.

If you have a high-end and very expensive system you will notice a big difference probably.

I only have a Sony 399 dollar HT system and i do note a difference only a few DTS tracks blow away the DD.

While others simply surpass it and while others only sound equal.

Still, if the difference is small, i always go to the DTS.

Because that little difference can influence in your enjoyment of the film.

I saw EP2 in DTS-ES and i hope that the DVD has a DTS-ES track, it will enhance the experience i had on theaters.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I KNEW Digital Bits would have this same info posted Monday. I'm sure they have the same source.

Feng

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand Lucas. He insisted on showing EP2 in theaters with high standard video and audio qualities, yet he allowed his movies to be chopped to pieces with Pan and Scan.

Lafe F

Second Unit
I didn't see Disney's Sleeping Beauty on the list, but saw others of theirs. I don't think it's coming out this year... :angry:

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Episode II in November. I could care less about what format the sound comes in as long as it is representive of the original mix and sounds good.

The mix on Episode I is still a reference sound track, regardless of format.

This silly argument over which format is better is ridiculous. Both have their strengths, both have their weaknesses. Just pick the one that sounds best to you on the particular disc and just be happy that you can get amazing digital surround sound on the movie at all.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Eric Sevigny

---Like I said if you are part of the few who like Dolby Digital, great be happy

----You make it sound soo nasty I haven't attacked anyone's opinion on the subject - just provided a few facts and my own opinion. I did say all things considered I prefered full-bitrate DTS... In my experience, the differences between DD and half-bitrate DTS is slim to none. Certainly nothing of the "blows away" sort.

I would like to appologize as it was not my intention to sound nasty. I was just trying to keep my reply short and to the point. Most of my opinion is in fact based on people I talk to and my own listening preferances. By no means did I wish to belittle your feelings on this issue. Please accept my sincere appology. With my current system that is using a pair of Altec Lancing Voice of the Theater speakers. They are very efficent and most DD tracks sound lacking but at the same time DTS tracks sound very detailed and dynamic. As long as there is a choice for us HT cunsumers that is all that maters.

Eric Taylor

Agent
Okay, so I didn't see this post and reposted the dates! I too work for Wal-mart and was talking with the movie vendor we go through..she told me that the dates on the pipeline sheet are tentative..but...most of the dates listed have been unofficially announced by the studios to both Wal-mart and her company. So..in the long run..these dates are probably pretty accurate to follow.

I can't wait for SW:EP 2, Spiderman and Back to the Future Trilogy!

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Conspicuously absent (for me) ... Blade 2!! Although I will be picking up most of the release from October 2nd on, I thought I would be seeing Blade II by September so I had something to hold me over for the first part of the fall. Somehow, I'm sure we will be hearing something towards the end of next month if it is to street in August or September..

Matt

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
is it possible that amazon might be able to ship the dvd a week before its official release? they sent me harry potter wide screen a few days ago. havent gotten it yet though.

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
So ironic that we are all so concerned about how this film will sound in our home theater. It will sound great either way, DD or dts. Me, I'm a little more worried about the possibility of the dvd being mastered from film rather than digital. It's the video that's scaring me.

Chris

Patrick G

Second Unit
I'm glad you mentioned the picture quality of The Phantom Menace DVD. Why was the quality, which should have been the absolute best to date (live action), so poor? Where did they go wrong?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I found the transfer to TPM to be very good, except for the EE. Take away the EE from that transfer, and you've got a reference quality transfer.

As for AOTC, does anyone honestly think Lucas is gonna allow the DVD to be mastered and transfered from film? Lucas is a digital guy all the way. And I'd be willing to bet you anything, it will be a direct digital to digital transfer.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
I may have to purchase two AOTC DVDs, because I'm pretty sure that I'll burn through the disc within the first month.
:D
This was one AWESOME flick - in my opinion, the best Star Wars film yet (and I was there in 1977 when the first one was released theatrically, ... I even remember exactly where I was sitting in the theater). AOTC is everything I've wanted in a Star Wars movie for the past 25 years!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks