What's new

Episode I plot question (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i think one of the plot holes that bothered me most about Ep1 was how a Jedi could not see that Padme was the queen - but upon listening to the commentary track off the DVD, Lucas says that both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew the whole time and that they were playing along. i totally didn't see this before but i guess it's plausible. when Qui-Gon talked to Padme on Tatooine about the Queen trusting his decisions, he was actually taunting her. did anybody else see it this way?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Although your subject could be construed as a lead in, I will not take the bait
biggrin.gif

I thought it obvious that Qui-Gon knew, but not so obvious that Obi-Wan knew (not on Tatooine at least). So I can totally buy that.
Just my 2 cents...
Take care,
Chuck

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I thought that the Jedi knew, obvious when Qui-gon rebukes padme on Tatooine that the Queen trusts his opinion, and blatantly obvious when Padme reveals herself to the Gugans and everyone gasps, but there's a shot of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan giving each other knowing looks.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If Padme is the Queen, then who is the Queen? Are they twins? :)
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There is no Padme. The queen dressed up like one of her servants so that she could constantly be protected by the Jedi.
I didn't think about them knowing it was her or not, but after watching it again, its pretty obvious.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
If Padme is the Queen, then who is the Queen? Are they twins?
The Queen's decoy is named Sabe, one of the handmaidens. Sabe is played by Keira Knightley. Portman plays the Queen in certain scenes, for example when she addresses the Senate.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually the queen's full name contains "Padme" in it.
Qui-Gon definitely knew Padme was really the queen, and enjoyed yanking her chain whenever he got a chance to do so.
I also think Obi-Wan knew as well.
If you watch carefully, Natalie Portman just about broke her foot while filming the Tattoine scenes, and she's limping a lot in the "walking on the sand/desert" scenes.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
...and poorly written dialogue.
Just kidding. I'm hopelessly hooked on all things Star Wars, but I couldn't resist.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I dunno, I liked the art nouveau meets kabuki look. I thought it original and rather lovely even if she couldn't move her head or any other body part very much. It added to the feeling of the movie. Much better than the usual Start Trek stick-some-rubber-on-their-heads-and-call-them-aliens deal.
Thanks!
Jason

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second time I saw the movie, after I knew the queen/handmaiden switch-up, I wondered if Qui-Gon knew the truth about her. If so, it gives his character a rather roguish quality about him... Indeed, I'd say that Qui-Gon is an endearing mix of Han Solo and Obi-Wan. He's the only character I cared about in the entire film. Pity they killed him.
THAT DVD BETTER BE ON MY DOORSTEP TOMMARROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
He knew. Qui-Gon is a bit of an eccentric character who likes doing his shtick. Also see the way he treats Jar-Jar (and enough said about THAT subject!!), and even Obi-Wan.
Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
One of the things that I think separates all of the films is Padme's wardrobe. Think about it: kings and queen's used to wear huge wardrobes and big hair, but nowadays even dresses more casually, even when "dressed up." The same can be said for the wardrobes in the Star Wars films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks