1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Episode I plot question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricW, Oct 15, 2001.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

i think one of the plot holes that bothered me most about Ep1 was how a Jedi could not see that Padme was the queen - but upon listening to the commentary track off the DVD, Lucas says that both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan knew the whole time and that they were playing along. i totally didn't see this before but i guess it's plausible. when Qui-Gon talked to Padme on Tatooine about the Queen trusting his decisions, he was actually taunting her. did anybody else see it this way?

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Although your subject could be construed as a lead in, I will not take the bait [​IMG]
    I thought it obvious that Qui-Gon knew, but not so obvious that Obi-Wan knew (not on Tatooine at least). So I can totally buy that.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Take care,
    Chuck

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I thought that the Jedi knew, obvious when Qui-gon rebukes padme on Tatooine that the Queen trusts his opinion, and blatantly obvious when Padme reveals herself to the Gugans and everyone gasps, but there's a shot of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan giving each other knowing looks.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

There is no Padme. The queen dressed up like one of her servants so that she could constantly be protected by the Jedi.
    I didn't think about them knowing it was her or not, but after watching it again, its pretty obvious.

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Padme is very cute. Amidala has bad hair.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Actually the queen's full name contains "Padme" in it.
    Qui-Gon definitely knew Padme was really the queen, and enjoyed yanking her chain whenever he got a chance to do so.
    I also think Obi-Wan knew as well.
    If you watch carefully, Natalie Portman just about broke her foot while filming the Tattoine scenes, and she's limping a lot in the "walking on the sand/desert" scenes.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

9. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

10. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

... and bad makeup! [​IMG]

11. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

...and poorly written dialogue.
    Just kidding. I'm hopelessly hooked on all things Star Wars, but I couldn't resist.

12. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I dunno, I liked the art nouveau meets kabuki look. I thought it original and rather lovely even if she couldn't move her head or any other body part very much. It added to the feeling of the movie. Much better than the usual Start Trek stick-some-rubber-on-their-heads-and-call-them-aliens deal.
    Thanks!
    Jason

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The second time I saw the movie, after I knew the queen/handmaiden switch-up, I wondered if Qui-Gon knew the truth about her. If so, it gives his character a rather roguish quality about him... Indeed, I'd say that Qui-Gon is an endearing mix of Han Solo and Obi-Wan. He's the only character I cared about in the entire film. Pity they killed him.
    THAT DVD BETTER BE ON MY DOORSTEP TOMMARROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist

14. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

He knew. Qui-Gon is a bit of an eccentric character who likes doing his shtick. Also see the way he treats Jar-Jar (and enough said about THAT subject!!), and even Obi-Wan.
    Mike

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

One of the things that I think separates all of the films is Padme's wardrobe. Think about it: kings and queen's used to wear huge wardrobes and big hair, but nowadays even dresses more casually, even when "dressed up." The same can be said for the wardrobes in the Star Wars films.