What's new

Episode I - Midnight Release Plans? (1 Viewer)

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
Even though I don't recall it happening with any previous DVD, does anyone know if there are any stores planning to open their doors at midnight on 10/16 for the release of Star Wars Episode I? Stores like Wal*Mart Supercenter are open 24 hours, but they rarely put out any new DVD's before 8 or 9AM...
It would be great if a store like Best Buy (HINT!) would open their doors to such a promotion...

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Local laws may prevent such things in certain areas, but in places like L.A., these sorts of things have been done many times in the past. Of course, in light of recent events, security concerns may be another reason why stores would pass.
Still, it's a great idea. I'd probably go if the price were right.
------------------
Matthew Kiernan

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I'm keeping my store open to 1am on the 15th. I've got the local Colortyme donating a 55" Toshiba TV and furniture, and am finalizing the surround sound details next week. I carry DVD players already, so we're good to go. Free Popcorn, pizza, etc. We've done well with these things in the past and I'm sure this will be fun also. I'll post pictures if it turns out okay.
Matt

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
I work at "The Buy", and with less than a month to go, have heard no plans for a midnight opening for the Star Wars DVD.
The last time we had a midnight release was for the Titanic VHS release back in 1998, and at least at my store, I didn't remember it being too successful (might have been different in other stores, but that's just how I perceived it at my store). We have over 800 copies of the Episode I DVD on order for my store, so I'm sure that Best Buy will be promoting the heck out of it, but I'm doubtful on the midnight release. I'll try to keep everyone here updated if that changes, though.
(I thought that 800 copies of Star Wars was a lot until I looked up the Shrek DVD in the system yesterday--we have over THIRTEEN-HUNDRED of those babies on order for my store alone. . .
eek.gif
)
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002
[Edited last by Matt Birchall on September 22, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks