What's new

Ephedra banned in US - thanks for babysitting the citizens (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Are you willing to accept the consequences of your actions, up to and including being left for dead on a hospital curb, because you lack the ability to pay for the damage you've done to yourself?
I find that most people are not, which is why we are in the situation we are in. "My life, my freedom" works both ways, but no one seems to want it both ways. Meaning, from my side of the fence, I'm tired of living conservatively (not politically speaking, but "whole life" speaking), and paying for others' little "indiscretions." Even in the private sector, health insurance is getting killed by the uninsured. Why am I having to pay $10000/year for a good policy for a healthy family of 4?

I do NOT welcome the nanny state, by any measure. I'd welcome more personal responsibility and less nannying.

Oh, look, a monkey, and he flew straight out of my butt.:rolleyes

Todd

CRyan

Screenwriter
To get slightly back on topic...

The fact of the matter is these herbel remedies are pushed as cure-alls for every ailment without regulation. Sold as dietary suplements, I am honestly suprised the industry is still allowed to make the claims they make without scientific proof. There are rarely any contraindications given and no side effects listed with these drugs. And yes,lets not be fooled to think that these are not drugs.

I love the commercials when they say this product contains no chemicals. Must be made of air - oh wait, air is made of chemicals too. Must be buying a vacuum sealed bottle of nothing. This has got to stop.

This industry has the population so brainwashed. I remember during rounds how people never would mention all the "herbs" they were on when asked what medications they were currently taking. Hello. Your on Ginko and another "herb cocktail" that cantains epheda. Maybe you should stop those before I give you this beta blocker.

At least tobacco has been forced to deal with its demons. "All-Natural" remedies still have free will to claim what they want without issue.

C. Ryan

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Exactly. Everyone wants the freedom to do/take/smoke whatever they want, but when the effects of such catch up with them and it's time to pay the piper, everyone runs to a doctor to fix them or a lawyer for absolution from responsibility by suing the suppliers/manufacturers.

If you're going to partake of a behavior that can kill you, you shouldn't be surprised when it does.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
In many states there were already regulations where products containing ephedra could not be sold to those under 18yrs old. I can understand that. I would be all for a law that restricts all supplements/vitamins to be purchased by those 18yrs or older. It's too late now. Ephedra is banned, ephedrine hcl is still legal.

Tim K

Second Unit
I don't want to get into a discussion of government...but I will say this:

Anyone in this country who is an adult in full control of their mental faculties, should be entitled to do WHATEVER they want to THEIR own bodies. If you want to drink windex, knock yourself out. You want to shoot heroine all day, go for it. Of course, all of this would require strict regulation in order to prevent children and persons with mental illness from obtaining harmful chemicals...but nonetheless...the government allows adults to smoke and drink, why not drugs and chemicals.

I think the "government" does have a responsibility, not to protect us from ourselves, but to protect us from unethical businesses and persons. I don't think ephedra should be banned, it should be treated like cigarettes and have an FDA warning that it could kill you or cause heart attacks or whatever. The "supplement" industry has had a free ride for way too long, and taken advantage of people for years. Its time that they meet the same regulations that over the counter and prescription drugs do. The only thing the government should be doing is making sure that you know exactly what you are getting when you take a pill...if you choose to accept the risks, fine. But I think its only fair that we all are made aware of those risks.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This story has been given a lot of press here in Central Illinois. The ban was spear-headed by a father whose son died from taking Ephedra.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait until our cars are banned because of people getting into accidents. Don't you love having a government who thinks that we're all mindless sheep who need their guidance?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor

This is exactly what has not been happening with the herbal quack industry.

They have not been subjected to any of the FDA rules that pharmaceutical companies have to deal with. They've been able to make pharmaceutical-like claims without having to do any of the inconvenient testing (or honest advertising of benefits and side-effects) that the legit drug companies have to deal with.

Is this the best response to the excesses of the herbal "medicine" industry? Heck no. The best thing to do would be to subject them to the same FDA laws that legit pharmaceutical companies have to deal with. I don't know why the government is so intent on not doing the obvious, but I'm glad to see someone doing something to slap around those goobers.

Bob Jines

Auditioning
I agree with the government's action against Ephedra. It is a good step.

Too bad that after being a lurker on the HTF for so long, some people (you know who you are!) continue to make the After Hours Lounge a thorn on the sides of the owners. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks