1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

eOne Press Release: Cimarron Strip: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    If you couldn't tell, he was referring to the butchered ALF DVDs from LionsGate a decade ago. Virtually every episode on those sets were the same damn edited Syndicated versions that anyone can easily see for free, and they were said to be even shorter than said Syndicated versions. These had been seen in local Syndication since around 1990.

LionsGate claimed that the reason for this was because the Syndicated versions were tighter, cleaner quality, and better edited, were the only ones they had access to, and were the versions Paul Fusco preferred.

The fact is, full-length versions of the episodes (save for "Somewhere Over the Rerun", in which the network version has been lost to the ravages of time, only the Syndicated version exists) had aired before on the Odyssey Channel. And those were in better quality than on the DVDs. So there was no *bleeping* excuse.

2. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    Thank you Vahan for picking up on my Fusco comment and expanding on it's meaning so eloquently. Apparently Fusco's influence didn't extend past North America since the German release of ALF was complete, unedited, and contained all that nasty footage that was hacked out of the network masters on this side of the Atlantic.

3. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    EDIT: Found the answer to my previous question in a review of the set. These are definitely edited episodes so I am staying away. A shame that's how they released it and then have the nerve to call it "complete." Let the buyer beware.

4. Cowboy

Cowboy Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    There is a good review of the show on Dvd Talk.I was going to get the set
    as a blind buy,but the video in the review is rated lower than Grizzly Adams Season 1.

5. Brian McP

Brian McP Supporting Actor

Brian
    I read the same review and it had the exact opposite effect -- don't care too much about the fact that it wasn't remastered or that they were broadcast versions -- Stuart Galbraith III mentions that it is a pretty good show and starring Stuart Whitman -- that's good enough for me.

Also the price is currently discounted to 61% off and that made it even better.

6. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    "Non-existent" Cimarron Strip bumper:

7. schmenz

schmenz Auditioning

danny
    It's interesting that the quality of the transfers of "Cimarron Strip" being used on the 'Heroes and Icons" TV network are superb and far, far better than what the dvd release transfers look like. The episodes are definitely cut however, perhaps more so than the dvds, due to the need of the H&I network to continually run the same five annoying commercials every six or seven minutes.

A pity those beautiful transfers could not be compiled into a dvd set.

8. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Isn't everything on that channel in fake widescreen? I tried watching and everything shows up on my TV in a box.

9. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I am considering picking this set up as it seems a very cool Western series that I've never watched. I found basically a single review of this set on the internet and it seems like a release that was pretty much ignored by reviewers. The one review I've read said this is well worth getting as it is a high quality show with Whitman and the guest stars really making this one a gem...not to mention the production values as this show had a very high budget at the time.

So, I was wondering how many folks here actually bought this, how you feel about the series itself and the DVD set? It looks like this will be the only release of this show and I've been having a great time watching old Western TV series this summer, definitely inspired to return to them by Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

10. GMBurns

GMBurns Second Unit

Glenn
    I bought the set and have really enjoyed it. The episodes are mildly edited, running 72-74 minutes, and the picture quality is a tad murky. But it is a great series. Stuart Whitman is a lot of fun to watch and the guest stars are always top-notch. I would definitely recommend it.

Reggie W likes this.
  11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Thanks, Glenn. I will probably order it today. It is still available on Amazon but seems not to be in stock most everywhere else and some sellers are asking over $100 for the set. I sort of think that once these sets are sold there is probably little encouragement to make more of them. So, I wonder if once these are sold this is a title that will just go out of print.