What's new

Environmental and Moral TV Show teachings (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
Hi all,
I am glad that i grew up in the 1970s and 1980s when TV shows that had moral fabrics to them were created/aired. It is too bad to day that these shows could not be aired as many of the issues are similar to what is faced by today's youth. I can list many shows that would provide great information to kids today:
1. Shazzam
2. Sealab 2020
3. Ark II
4. Time for Timer
5. School House Rock
6. Danger Bay
7. Superfriends (1973 and also episodes that included the wonder twins)
8. After School Specials
I am sure that my list is missing a few shows. I welcome people's thoughts/suggestions.
 

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
I watched an episode from Superfriends that talked about ocean/red tide. It was interesting talking about messing with the ocean ecosystem. This message is still important today and shows like this would help keep the focus on protecting the ecosystem.
 

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Messages
7,520
I'd like to add a few:
===animated
-He Man( strong moral message in every episode)
-Ghostbusters
-She-Ra
-Bravestarr
-G.I. Joe(knowing is half the battle)
-Transformers(had a handful of PSA's)
===live-action
-Isis
---------------------------------------------------------
I hate to sound like an old grouch, but what the kids are exposed to today in animation(and live action) is 98% ABYSMAL. My nephews come over and watch cartoon network, and I'm just shocked how horrible the garbage is that they watch. Acid-trip animation, gross humor, and such nonsensical stories that it is beyond stupid.
It's a sad day when cartoons like "Powerpuff Girls" "Johnny Bravo", and "dexter's Labratory" are thought provoking, great writing, and top notch animation comapred to what is running these days.
 

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
Bryan^H said:
I'd like to add a few:
===animated
-He Man( strong moral message in every episode)
-Ghostbusters
-She-Ra
-Bravestarr
-G.I. Joe(knowing is half the battle)
-Transformers(had a handful of PSA's)
===live-action
-Isis
---------------------------------------------------------
I hate to sound like an old grouch, but what the kids are exposed to today in animation(and live action) is 98% ABYSMAL. My nephews come over and watch cartoon network, and I'm just shocked how horrible the garbage is that they watch. Acid-trip animation, gross humor, and such nonsensical stories that it is beyond stupid.
It's a sad day when cartoons like "Powerpuff Girls" "Johnny Bravo", and "dexter's Labratory" are thought provoking, great writing, and top notch animation comapred to what is running these days.
I think the kids today have been spoiled with CGI Graphics that the old stuff looks too cheesy for them. The problem is they are not looking beyond the images to the script and the acting. If you ignore the cars/clothes then there are some amazing shows that kids would enjoy them today.
I still believe if shows like your and mine list could be position for today's audience. However, Hollywood would rather throw reality then spend time on good scripts/acting!
 

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2004
Messages
5,279
Location
Florida
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by younger1968 /t/321617/environmental-and-moral-tv-show-teachings#post_3941876
I think the kids today have been spoiled with CGI Graphics that the old stuff looks too cheesy for them.

Wow, Paul. I just said the same thing in another thread. Great minds...


Gary "definitely not a fan of the heavy use of CGI in today's films and TV" O.
 

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,386
Location
Dallas TX
younger1968 said:
I think the kids today have been spoiled with CGI Graphics that the old stuff looks too cheesy for them. The problem is they are not looking beyond the images to the script and the acting. If you ignore the cars/clothes then there are some amazing shows that kids would enjoy them today.
I still believe if shows like your and mine list could be position for today's audience. However, Hollywood would rather throw reality then spend time on good scripts/acting!
Good idea for a thread.
Two of my favorite shows that, imo, are excellent for emphasizing good values are
&

Gary OS said:
     Quote:
Wow, Paul.  I just said the same thing in another thread.  Great minds... ;)
Gary "definitely not a fan of the heavy use of CGI in today's films and TV" O.
The CGI is one reason that I haven't collected many movies since the 90's. I've seen a few where the CGI fits with a movie well but I've also seen some big-seller movies that, for me, have too much CGI content. As for TV/DVD CGI, I don't have many post-90's sets on the shelf but I see the network clips/promos when watching sports and most don't appeal to me.
It's hard to match those B/W outdoor/location series' from the late 50's - mid 60's.
 

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
Jeff Willis said:
Good idea for a thread.
Two of my favorite shows that, imo, are excellent for emphasizing good values are
&

The CGI is one reason that I haven't collected many movies since the 90's. I've seen a few where the CGI fits with a movie well but I've also seen some big-seller movies that, for me, have too much CGI content. As for TV/DVD CGI, I don't have many post-90's sets on the shelf but I see the network clips/promos when watching sports and most don't appeal to me.
It's hard to match those B/W outdoor/location series' from the late 50's - mid 60's.
CGI has a role, but like everything else it should not be overkill as part of the movie development. A primary example is Transformers. The concepts of Transformers is a great idea, but poorly developed as a movie with too much emphasis on CGI along with making star out of Megan Fox.
I do not want to make this thread a debate about issues with today's society as that would be wrong. The issue with TV is that it has not adopted to the double income families that exist now and the lack of physical activity of today's youth. TV had a point in the past generation household, but so did physical activity. I was outside constantly as a kid, such as i was not focused on TV. You also add in social media and/or gadgets that exist now that previous generation never had growing up.
I just think shows growing up in the 1970s, especially cartoons/live-action show had messages that are relevant today. I remember watching Shazam or Superfriends (1973) or Sealab or Jacques Cousteau or Mutual Wild Kingdom taught us lessons about protecting the environment or bullying or animal habitat or people with disability. I also remember after school specials also talking about issues of the day, like hitchhiking. It is too bad Teletoon Retro and Boomerang have not realized the importance of these shows and left many of them off their schedule!
 

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
36,477
Location
The basement of the FBI building
I can't say that I'm all that familiar with today's children programming but Star Wars: The Clone Wars has positive messages for kids to the point of every episode opening with a moral posted onscreen. Granted, it's a show about characters engulfed in a war so the messages are usually about honesty, duty, honor and friendship rather than envirnomental issues but there are episodes that have touched on pollution.
 

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
TravisR said:
I can't say that I'm all that familiar with today's children programming but Star Wars: The Clone Wars has positive messages for kids to the point of every episode opening with a moral posted onscreen. Granted, it's a show about characters engulfed in a war so the messages are usually about honesty, duty, honor and friendship rather than envirnomental issues but there are episodes that have touched on pollution.
Hi Travis,
There are few shows since the 1980 that have tried to teach different lesson, like Captain Planet or Barnie & Friends, etc. I was just trying to make a point that shows in the 1970s and even in the 1980s they promoted environment and/or moral telling shows. I still believe the past cartoons have their place with this generation if they were to look beyond the CGI Graphics. I betcha that if the studios re-did the shows with CGI graphics they would be a hit!!
 

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
2,510
Real Name
paul young
My Sealab 2020 just arrive today and i tell you it is incredible the messages that this show has with its plots. The issues are still relevant today!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
346,052
Messages
4,765,236
Members
141,653
Latest member
dobrykamil
Top