Entry-level sound system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Zielinski, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Mark Zielinski

Mark Zielinski Auditioning

Hey, I'm new to HTF and found the site while looking for audio equipment reviews 8)
    I've actually been looking to purchase an entry-level sound system for the last little while. I've got about $1000 CDN to spend on 5 speakers and a receiver. The other things like a TV, DVD player and subwoofer I already have from a previous mini-system I was using.
    I've been auditioning some Jamo front speakers at various local Hi-Fi stores, and found their E-series was decent for the price.
    Keep in mind the prices of most of the equipment I'll be buying will be below retail. I'll almost certainly be buying a Yamaha RX-V530 or 630 receiver, since I can get that for a great price.
    Now my question is on mainly on the speakers; does anyone own / has owned the E-series Jamo speakers, or any recommendations for other speakers within that price range? All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

-Mark Zielinski

2. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    I've auditioned a lot of stuff over the past year and I keep coming back to Canadian made speakers. They present the best value for our dollar. Some of the systems that I've listened to that would be in your price range are Energy's 5.2 system, Paradigm's Cinema Series an d what I think would be the best one is Axiom. I've listened to Jamo stuff, and to me its ok, loud...but not well defined. Athena and mirage have some stuff as well but personally I didn't think they were as good as the Axiom.
    As for receivers I personally wouldn't go with a Yamaha, a little to bright and not very musical. But thats just my opinion, other people love their Yammies. I would look at Onkyo's 500, Marantz 4200 or Denon's 1603.
    If you want any other info just send me a message. I've resarched a lot of what your looking for to death! And I'm in the Toronto area.

3. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to consider the Athena Technologies Audition Series speakers. They can be found at Future Shop and provide excellent sound. They have excellent build quality as well.

4. Mark Zielinski

Mark Zielinski Auditioning

Yeah, I will try out some Axiom speakers, they look quite nice and I've heard good things about them. Know any dealers in the Durham (Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax) region?

5. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

don't forget psb![​IMG]

6. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

There is I believe 1 retailer in Toronto, Replay Electronics in Etobicoke. But you can order them direct, they ship for free and give you 30days to return them.