What's new

entry level newbie reciever (1 Viewer)

Tim W G

Agent
I bought the Pioneer VSX-D850S at onecall.com. The final was about $320. I received it in about 3 days! Great deal. It has 7.1 input and 6.1 output. Alomg with a ton of features.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Guess I'm an idiot, because I have the STR-DE1075 and I absolutely love it. Maybe my ears aren't very good, but I love the sound out of this thing. Sounds great for movies and even better for music.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Have any of the people here bashing the Sony DE line actually tried them out in their Home Theaters?

It is one thing to repeat a line of thinking that has continually been perpetuated....it is another thing to actually have first hand experience.

J

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a Sony DE series Receiver, but it's almost 2 years old. It is the DE-945, and it is a nice receiver, but not up to the quality of many of the others mentioned.

It is connected to Paradigm Monitor 9 V.1 Fronts, a CC-350 center, and a pair of mini monitor v.1's as surrounds, and an SVS 20-39CS with a separate amp. My major issue is that the amps can't hang. It will drop in volume during portions where you know their is a definate push in the movie. Also as I mentioned earlier, there is a distinct hiss in the rear surrounds which is very distracting.

I have heard the new DE-1075 in my room also as a friend brought it over to test while he was building his house. Needless to say, it was worse than my DE-945 with volume issues and the hiss in the rear channels. It was returned in favor of a step up... Denon 1802.

I am still looking for a new receiver, or maybe a pre/pro, but I'm in no hurry as upgraditis has not hit.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I've had my STR-DE1075 for 6 months now, and "needless to say" I've not heard any of the problems you are mentioning. I have JBL ND310s as my mains, a JBL N-Center, JBL PB12 sub and JBL N26 for my surrounds. I'm not claiming that my equipment is the best ever made, but it is damn good and something I'm very happy with. If you had "hissing" from your rear speakers, either you had a defective receiver, bad wiring, bad speakers, or better ears than me. With my ear right next to the speaker I don't hear that. Also never heard any "drop in volume during portions where you know their is a definate push in the movie." Put it this way - in the DTS version of Jurassic Park (the fixed version) the walls were about to cave in during the TRex attack. No distortion, no hissing, no drop.

Lenny O

Auditioning
I had the Sony DE925 and just bought the DA3ES. Much better than the DE925. There is also a DB1070 which I would choose over the DE1075, for pretty close to the same price. It's a better build quality than the DE1075, more like an ES receiver.
Everything depends on what you want to do.
Take a look at www.oade.com and look at the Sony DB1070, and the Onkyo 595 and 696. If you can spring about $300 more, look at the Sony DA3ES.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks