"Entry level" High End DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mathew Shelby, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

No, this is not an oxymoron. I have read in a few threads that many consider the Panasonic RP82 to be an entry level high end DVD player. Now that many stores are no longer carrying it, what would be your second choice?

I am looking for something to replace my Toshiba progressive scan DVD player (the model number eludes me right now). Can someone list some of the better DVD players out there as well as their prices (under $500-I am still in college).

DVD Audio or SACD are not important to me, although if the unit had these options I would still consider it. My main priority is HT.

Thanks for any and all input

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

The forthcoming Philips 963a will sell for about $400. The Denon 1600 is pretty much a RP82 for more money.

3. TimothyE

TimothyE Stunt Coordinator

Other than what was pointed out above, it appears to be pretty tough to top the RP82 for under $500. If DVD-A and SACD are not that important, you may consider a Denon 1805 or Yamaha C920 (C6480), changers that also utilize Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacing. These are basically Panasonic players built to the specs of Denon and Yamaha. You will pay for the higher build quality and the Faroudja logo, and some say you'll get a better audio section on the Denon.

I've chosen to wait until we learn what's coming out of the CES that begins this Thursday. Hopefully, there will be many more

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd say the Pioneer DV-45a is an "entry" level high end player. Plays all of SACD/CD/DVD-A/DVD-V, it is a Pioneer Elite product, and there certainly have *not* been the complaints about the SACD quality that the original 47a prompted... [​IMG]

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Thanks for all of your help.

6. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a good DVD player in this price range too. I've tried the Denon and Yamaha and returned both of them.

There were two things I didn't like about the Yamaha C920. First, it can't be turned on or off from the remote because it has a hard, physical power button. This means if you have a pronto or harmony or any other universal remote that turns your system on and off, it won't be able to cycle the dvd player. My second problem was that it will NOT show the time remaining on a DVD. Some people think this is dumb but my wife and I use that feature all the time to see how much time is left in a movie. The picture and audio looked and sounded fine.

The Denon was returned because two reasons as well. The player operates very slowly. It's hard to describe but simple things like skipping a chapter or bringing up the menu seem to take a long time. Long enough that it was immediately noticeable. The other problem was the picture quality was poor. The picture had very little contrast and the colors were muddy. My family members that know nothing about DVD or home theater all noticed that the quality was not as good as my previous Toshiba 3109, the Yamaha C920, or the Panasonic DVD-XP30.

I'm currently using the Panasonic DVD-XP30. The picture quality is amazing and it has the most bells and whistles. I wish it wasn't silver but it's hidden away so no one sees it. The only problem I've run across is that "Black Hawk Down" won't play on it (I've got another post on that).

On a side note, while I was in the store, I looked at the Denon 1600 and it won't show the time remaining either. I find this ludicrous because the Panasonic, Yamaha, and Denon 1600 all have the exact same software/firmware system. I'm not sure who's making it but all 3 manufactures have bought the same "guts" from one OEM. The menus are all identical except Yamaha and Denon have chosen to cripple the software and remove features that the cheaper Panasonic has!

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I think I remember that Panasonics used to not have the remaining time either. But obviously, now they do.