Entry level HDTV - Panasonic PT-53WX42

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_C_Massey, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Brian_C_Massey

Brian_C_Massey Auditioning

Is there anything wrong with the PT-53WX42 ???

I am seeing it everywhere for much cheaper than other apparently comparable RPTVs.

I am not a videophile, I just want a TV that looks great for not too much money.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Panny is a decent set out of the box. If you tweak the unit, it has the potential to look like one of the best units out there.

OOTB, the unit is currently about average in image quality, but still a great buy given the minimal amount of additional effort to make it look better than it is.

regards

3. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

Just got the 53wx52 and for the money you cant beat it.

4. Tod_J

Tod_J Extra

Ditto. Just got my 53wx42 and paired with an RP82 it has great bang for the buck. Love it.

5. Theron Shaffer

I just wish I could find some places that carried the model with the screen protector locally. I know most of you remove them, but with young kids in the house I cant let myself buy a set with no screen protection.

6. Brian_C_Massey

Umm, I have young children. What model do I need to look for that has the screen protector?

7. Theron Shaffer

I believe its the x52.....and has 4 speakers instead of 2. If you dont have the concern of a rogue little hand touching your screen, it is obviously better to go without the protector. I just dont have that luxury.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Why is it best not to have the screen protector? I just got my new Panny PT47WX52 which has the screen built in. Picture quality on DVD is excellent without tweaking. Cable TV could be better.

Kevin

9. Theron Shaffer

I believe alot of people remove them due to the glare they add from reflecting light from the room.....and to give them the most natural looking picture. I am not saying its better without it, just that its an option some people prefer not to have.

10. Ken D.

Ken D. Extra

Here's another option. Get the 53wx42 @ Circuit City. Add the installable screen protector (installers will come and install it after your TV's been delivered). That way it's at least removeable if you find that you don't need it.

I love my 53wx42. Picture is good from RP82 and cable. I have no convergence or geometry issues. The greyscale is a bit off though.

11. Theron Shaffer

How much is the screen protector, ballpark? I dont have a Circuit City in town or I would call....is that somthing you can order from Panny?

12. Theron Shaffer

On circuit city's website it lists this model as having 2 rear standard component inputs. Most other models it lists as having 2 HD component inputs. Is there really a difference?

13. Brian_C_Massey

Thanks to everyone who gave info, but I decided against this Panny, though it looks like a great set. I'm gonna go with the Sony 53" 4:3 model 53HS30. My wife doesn't like the 16:9 for regular TV, which is what we watch 90% of the time. I don't mind watching DVD's letterboxed, and the letterbox size on this 53" will still be like a 47" 16:9, so I'm happy.

I'm sure I could have saved a few $$$ by going elsewhere, but I bought it at BestBuy.com, and it will be delivered (free) in 9 days. I really like that I can return it to BestBuy if I get hit by buyer's remorse.

Again, thanks everyone.

14. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Brian -- IMO, I feel it's a big mistake to go for a 4:3 rear projection set being that HDTV standard is in 16:9. I would first investigate making mattes to reduce the effect from 4:3 material before accepting the order. I think your wife would find it acceptable if you want to try that option.
    When I get my first RPTV, I'm going 16:9 as I watch 80% DVDs 20% cable. I think mattes are the best option in my case. Your case may differ. Either way, enjoy your set! [​IMG]

15. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

16. Tod_J

Tod_J Extra

Gotta go along with everyone else here, I would not lay out cash now for a 4X3. The stretch mode on the Panny, while regarded as below average, looks fine to me. I don't notice it anymore, and more importantly neither does my wife!

17. Brian_C_Massey

But this 4:3 will squeeze all of its lines of vertical resolution down to approximately a 47" 16:9 area within the 53" 4:3 screen... What is wrong with this? SO I will have a vertical letterbox effect when watching widescreen movies on my 4:3 instead of a horizontal letterbox (or stretching) when watching regular programming on a 16:9.

Since we watch 95% regular broadcasts and maybe 5% DVD movies, doesn't it make sense to get the set which will have the greatest viewable area for the majority of the programming we watch?

If I get a 53" 16:9, i can watch 53" 5% of the time and 47" 95% of the time.

If I get a 53" 4:3, i can watch 53" 95% of the time and 47" 5% of the time.

Also, I definately CAN and DO notice the streching effect when 16:9 screens stretch a 4:3 broadcast to fill the entire screen. It looks horrible!

We are each entitled to our opinions, but man, am I the only one who feels this way? heh.

18. Peter.LeBlond

Even though I couldn't live without the 16:9 mode on my Projector, if you watch 95% TV and want to buy a TV, then 4:3 makes a lot of sense. You get a lot more real estate than with 16:9. It's not the choice for people building a HT, but then TV isn't Theater.

19. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

If priority is 4:3 ... TV or DVD ... then go with a 4:3 set that does 16:9 squeeze.

With the 4:3 unit, 4:3 native material looks better than on an equivalent 16:9 set. One less digital processing step. CAble/satellite etc will look better for what it is worth.

Obviously if you collect a lot 4:3 material on DVD ... it will look better on 4:3 TV's as well.

Pretty much goes for anyone collecting any TV series out there ... except for B5/Current x-files s5 and up ... stargate sg1.

Regards

20. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    For me, it's a matter of quality over quantity. Yes, 95% of what I watch is OTA TV. But no matter how good an HDTV I get, OTA is never going to look as good as DVD. So I'd rather optimize my DVD viewing experience instead of settling for something in between.

As for stretching TV programming -- yes, it bothers me too. That's why I crop. Most TV these days is shot protected in anticipation of widescreen broadcast. I can crop some of the top and a lot of the bottom, and the only time I notice the cropping is when they have subtitling. That's still 90% of my TV programming (the other 9% is football, which I view in slight stretch to include the scorebox).