entry level cd changer?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Evan:R, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

Hey, I'm looking for an entry level CD changer. I was thinking roughly $300. I was at Magnolia HiFi and they only carried Denon and Sony. The two Denons they had were 5 disc changers with Burr-Brown 20 bit D/A converters, one with HDCD and one without. The only Sony I considered there was an ES model. Are the lines below ES worth looking at? Suggestions anyone? It will be mated with the following:

HK AVR 225
    Axiom M50ti
    Axiom VP100
    SVS PB1-ISD

TIA,
    Evan

2. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Hi Evan,

I can recommend the Yamaha CDC-775, if that is a current model. I think it retailed around $325 when I bought it, but the dealer gave it to me for abour $275 a couple years ago. I wanted to get a Denon because few other mass-market CD changers have decent DACs; however, I read really good reviews of the Yamaha, including sound quality, reliability, and features.

One of the important features for me was the Disc-Exchange, which lets you change 4 CDs while the 5th is playing. None of the Denons at the time had this feature, so I went with the Yamaha. I am very happy with it, and when upgrading from Paradigm Mini Monitors to Axiom M22's, I heard a definite bump in resolution.

I decided based on a headphone-audition: I walked into the store with headphones and a bunch of my CDs. I heard a slightly warmer, smoother sound out of the 775 than the 685, so I bought it. And it sounded better after break-in, if you believe it.

have fun,
    Cooper

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I recently bought the Sony RCD-W500C, mainly to serve as a CD recorder but it has a 5 disc player on 1 side and 1 disc on the other (recording) side. I'm happy with it, though I don't know how it compares with their ES components. I'm using it with a Denon AVR2700. The Sony has only an optical digital output and it sounds a little brighter than when I use the Sony's DACs but I really can't say which one I like better. They both sound ok to me.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

4. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Last summer I pitted a Yamaha CDC-685 against a Denon DCM-370, and favored the Yammie. I went in really thinking the Denon would win hands down, but it didn't according to my tasts. Can't recall all the nuances between the 2, but the 685 just flat out sounded better. I posted the results on this site.

5. Evan:R

Evan:R Agent

Wow, it sounds like the Yammies are taking the lead! I too had thought the Denons would be a favorite, but I suppose it is much like speaker auditioning... every person has their own opinion! I guess it is now down to Yamaha and Denon. Thanks for the replies everyone!

6. John Di Lauro

John Di Lauro Stunt Coordinator

Evan,

I would also suggest taking a look at the Marantz CC4300.
    It is a nice sounding unit with a very fast and smooth changer mechanism. Good luck.

John