What's new

Entry level Bookshelf speakers for newbie? (1 Viewer)

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Try Dahlquist OX 4,5 or 6 Bookshelf's
Link Removed
Alex
(have them, relatively cheap and great!!!)

There have already been many good posts on this topic, but I wanted to add that you might benefit from looking toward what you think will be your ultimate or end state for your theater.

Since the upgrade bug bites most of us more often than we plan, you may look at speakers that could potentially be used in a surround role in the future. In case you decided you wanted to upgrade the mains / center again.

No matter what you decide, the time you take now listening to as many speakers as you can before buying will be well spent.

Have fun shopping,
Charles

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
i second the Boston Acoustics, cr65's for front and crc center.........great budjet speakers with clarity and impact. BUT I WILL ADVISE YOU TO DO COMPARITIVE LISTENING TESTS (HOPEFULLY BLIND) 'CAUSE ANYTHING YOU DEMO BY ITSELF WILL LIKELY SOUND GOOD ENOUGH TO OVERRIDE THE SUBCONCIOUS PAIN AVOIDANCE OF REPACKING AND RETURNING AND ADMITTING A POOR BUYING CHOICE.........ALSO RESTOCKING/SHIPPING FEES...

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,
You should look at the Acoustic Research Hi-Res speakers. They are an excellent value. The ones in your price range are the AR15/AR17 bookshelf and the AR2C/AR4C center speakers. Good luck.
Jay

Ryan Solberg

Auditioning
ahhh.... what about speaker kits jerry?... ever thought of buying a kit which would include Raw drivers and Crossover components. THen you just have to assemble the speaker yourself and as long as you make the crossover & box like you're supposed to you will get a much better speaker for the price.

This is what i plan on doing, i'm going to make my fronts, and center channel... it will cost me just under $600 for the kits, but if i was to buy similar prebuilt speakers it would cost me around $1000, so the way i see it... $600 plus $100 in box materials and i just saved myself $300.... or got much better speakers for the same price... depends on your view.

I'll prolly make surrounds too.

kits are always an option, so think about it.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
Have you thought about Polk speakers? Last years model was the RT-25i for the bookshelves and the CS245i for the center. I think they sound great for the price. Circuit City sells them.The rt-25i was $99. The replacement is the rt-28i and it runs about $139 each. I am sure they will go on sale soon. Klipsch also has an entry line in that price range but I have not heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks