Entry 32in Tube with DVD and Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Francis, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Jerry Francis

Jerry Francis Auditioning

Looking at buying a basic 32" tube and DVD player. Toshiba A series, Panasonic D Series and JVC all around $500. I notice that Pan only has 3 month labor warranty. Any opinions on these sets for a first timer. Also, is a calibration DVD worth the cost of admission for these sets, or will it just depress me in wishing I had spent $1000 on a true flat screen or superflat Pan Thanks!

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jerry, I'd lean toward the Toshiba. That make has generally excellent color decoders. Too, it's not too hard to get into the service menu to perform the so-called squeeze trick.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Jerry Francis

Jerry Francis Auditioning

As a follow up to the Toshiba line, I think their color, at least in the store showrooms, look by far the worse. Very pink, contrast is set very high and even when you tone down, looks very washed out. I know the showroom floors are bad for accurate viewing (flourescent lights), but I think the JVC's are sharper, Panasonic is a close second but somewhat softer. I do not think the Toshiba looks as good as the Sharp's, RCA, etc. Also, the Toshiba tube appears much more "curved" than the others. Thanks for the response.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jerry, I suspect your eyes are finding the sets with red push and bluish grayscales more pleasing. This can be definitely true in the showroom. In constrast, the Toshibas (at least the 2000 A series line) will look "greener" and flesh tones will look more pink instead of a more reddish sunburn look. Try to look at the sets outside the dealer showrooms if possible.
    good luck,
    --tom