What's new

Entourage: Season Eight (1 Viewer)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Just when you think the show couldn't get worse, they bring you one of the worst episodes ever. Are the writers sitting there thinking this is good stuff? I mean wtf are they doing? I bet they think they are hitting homeruns too. Vince making a video to give to the reporter? Yeah, that would go over well in the real world, but here he gets the girl. Just awful. Turtle is the biggest dumbsht on the planet, Cuban told him they were going to go public, and he is shocked when they do? The Italian couple are jokes and they are gonna have that huge place? Just stupid as it gets. Drama's story from the holdout on has been punch in the face worthy. E's story is lame and Ari's is good but floating in a pile of sht.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The entire storyline with Turtle is BEYOND preposterous. It's outright offensive.

And the storyline involving a video.. yeah, horrible. He'd be more likely to get nailed with being a stalker.

Just horrible writing. And the dialog is bad.. like real bad

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
The entire storyline with Turtle is BEYOND preposterous.
I can't believe that he seemed surprised that waiting for the stock would have made him tons of money. Back when he dropped out of the company, I thought it was just a convenience for the writers and they would have him take the money and open a restaurant without any (more) help from Vince. That way, the character could become a success on his own. However, the writers decided that Turtle was a moron who didn't see that waiting a few weeks for the company to go public would get him more money, that he couldn't get a restaurant off the ground on his own and that he'd need Vince to bail him out would be a better final storyline for the character than having him become his own man.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
so obvious how this series concludes: vince gets girl. turtle's restaurant big hit. drama has hit series. e gets back with sloan. ari gets back with wife. What I would add: Vince new girl friend holds intervention with vince and all the girls in the video. Turtle's executive chef is bobby flay Eric ends in bet with sloan; pulls down covers to show melissa

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
mattCR said:
The entire storyline with Turtle is BEYOND preposterous. It's outright offensive.
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one, too. I know fuck-all about the stock market, but it doesn't seem like rocket surgery to hold onto your shares of a lucrative company until it goes public. Not that Turtle's restaurant-idea is a real stroke of genius, either. It seems the best he can offer is to suggest to someone with a successful restaurant that they should open another restaurant.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Jeremiah said:
Just when you think the show couldn't get worse, they bring you one of the worst episodes ever. Are the writers sitting there thinking this is good stuff? I mean wtf are they doing? I bet they think they are hitting homeruns too.
Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. And add to the awful writing some really shoddy direction by Kevin Connolly. A few times, I really questioned if the camera was focusing on what was going to communicate the appropriate information to the audience. For instance, on Drama's exit after handing off the DVD to the reporter, the shot holds long enough to see she is having some kind of reaction, but she's in the foreground, out of focus and half out of frame. The whole sequence with William Fichtner and the cookies... the camera work was ridiculous. When I was watching the episode, I just assumed it was the work of a first-timer, but Connolly did several episodes of "Unhappily Ever After" as well as a previous "Entourage." Up to this point, I hadn't had such a strong reaction to the season. I guess I hadn't put much thought into the show and let it just wash over me, but this week's episode really hit me with the questionable scenarios, awkward dialogue, shoddy direction and lackluster performances. I couldn't believe when I heard next week's show will be the series finale. I can't imagine wrapping up the bigger storylines in just one episode. Unless they actually want to go out on an ambiguous note. But this show has always been about the happy ending, how everything works out despite the odds. But certain plots (Ari's divorce, Sloane's split with E) have gone so far that I can't imagine the expected happy endings making any logical sense. The only thing I care about in the final episode is whether Ari stays with Dana. I found the two of them together more interesting than all the seasons of Ari and Mrs. Ari. Way to go writers, the one thing you did well invalidates the dramatic thrust of a key relationship that ran through the entire series.

Ray Gutnick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray
Ari and Dana are way better together than Ari and his ex-wife, but I'm guessing the writers are too stupid to see that. in the same way that they'll setup Vince and the reporter; absolutely zero chemistry there.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So, was there a bargain casting deal on New York athletes this week? I've been away from this thread the whole season, but now with only 1 episode left in the series I'll thrown my .02 in on this season. Basically, it has sucked. It's one of those things, similar to what I've experienced with The Office the past few seasons, where I wonder why I'm even watching. I guess it's because this is a show I once loved and thought was absolutely fantastic so each week I keep hoping it will go back to what made it great in the first place. Well, it's clear that's not going to happen now that we've reached the end so I guess they kept me around due to my blind loyalty.....because it sure as hell hasn't been the writing. Oh well, there's always that movie they keep talking about. :rolleyes:

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Brent M said:
So, was there a bargain casting deal on New York athletes this week?
Wait, those weren't actors? With their delivery, they could've fooled me.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by MarkMel

Wait, those weren't actors? With their delivery, they could've fooled me.

The sad thing is, I don't know if they were much worse than Kevin Connolly, Adrian Grenier or Jerry Ferrara.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Even with all the rushed writing this season, I didn't mind the ending, or the button hook for an Ari show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I apologize to those that still enjoy the show because there's nothing more lame or boring than a guy who keeps griping but I didn't like it. I did love that Ari learned what was really important in life and quit the business but they decided to undo all that with the P.S. And a surprise wedding? That might be a good ending if this was 1986 and the show was The Facts Of Life but in 2011 on a show that isn't the standard laugh track garbage sitcom, that idea shouldn't have even been entertained by the writers let alone used. I feel sorry for the actors (who are all good in their roles) for having to play the scripts in this season. I said it earlier in the thread but since it was the last season, I really wanted to like these episodes but the writers just made it impossible.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought the finale was perhaps the worst episode of any show ever, it was so absurd in all aspects. This is something a 12 year old girl will come up with, just down right awful writing. Vince proposing and her accepting is mind blowingly dumb. The scene with the Opera music playing in the office and people start wandering out in the halls like it's the greatest thing they have ever heard was one of the dumbest scenes ever. This season might of gotten worse and worse with each passing episode, just a pathetic display of writing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Though they did set up a good possibility for a spinoff with that post-credits scene of Ari taking over as CEO for the parent company of that media empire. I'd watch the shit out of a show starring Piven with unlimited power. Other than that, it's over, and I have no idea what a possible movie could be about. Although watching Terrance chase E with a shotgun would be fun.

ArchMike

Agent
Real Name
Mike Alavane
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention... what media empire? Last I saw was him quitting and boarding the plane with his wife to France with Vince. Was there a throwaway line that went right by me? Ari owned 51% of the company. That makes quitting in a huff and storming out stupid.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
ArchMike said:
I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention... what media empire? Last I saw was him quitting and boarding the plane with his wife to France with Vince. Was there a throwaway line that went right by me?
After the credits, there was a scene showing Ari and Mrs. Ari in Italy and he gets a call from Alan Dale's character saying that he's going to retire and he offers Ari a job as the head of his media empire. The idea is that Ari is never going to get out of the game because that's who he is. For my two cents, I think it just undid the growth that they allowed the character to have at the end. Then again, it's not as bad as making Turtle too stupid to realize that he shouldn't have sold his stock and that even though he's a grown man, he's always going to need Vince to save him.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You're right.. they kept trumping up how he owned 51%.. I don't think he can "quit" he'd have to find a buyer for his shares or something.. even that doesn't work, because he'd still be contractually obligated to his partners.

The whole season was frankly crap; and Ari had far more chemistry with Dana in a few eps then with his wife over the run of the whole series. JMHO.

The Vince wedding thing is a disaster idea, I thought it was a joke. Eric also is a managing partner of his management company.. how does he walk off?

So many bad ideas packed into such a short period. Johny Drama's storyline about Johny Bannanas is totally awol, and he's ready to ditch it and move to New York (?)

Argh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks