Entourage - Anyone watching it?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ScottH, Jul 25, 2004.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Just watched the second episode and I have to say it was even better than the first which was very good as well. All the characters are great, although Kevin Dillons is a little annoying at times (which is what he's supposed to be I guess). Another winner for HBO.

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I think it's terrible. All the jokes are on the surface and are cliché. The humor lacks the subtlety as well as the wit of "The Larry Sanders Show." The characters are one dimensional and annoying in a Jar-Jar Binks type of way; I have no interest in seeing what happens next to anyone.

I’ll give the show one more chance next Sunday.

The brilliant comedy show on HBO tonight was the Ali G with Pat Buchanan going on about those BLTs in Iraq.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I like the show if for the women if nothing else. JA was on last night and it was great to see her!
    The agent is very annoying but I enjoy the show. It just kind of glimpses a lifestyle that is funny to watch.

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I wish I were watching it but since I dont have HBO, I'll be waiting for DVD.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

The second episode was much better than the first, but it still suffers from "K Street Syndrome" where the audience is the people involved in the lifestyle featured in the show.

6. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I pretty much think it's garbage...unfunny garbage at that.

One more chance next week...

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

As in if you've made a career out of being a moocher than it's some how an engaging show?

8. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I couldn't disagree more. I'm living the farthest thing from that lifestyle, but I enjoy it thoroughly.

I have to admit I'm very surprised by the lack of praise this show is getting here. With all the drivel that's out there on the other networks in the comedy genre right now (with the exception of Arrested Development), this is a breath of fresh air. Maybe a little cliche, but I still think it's funny.

9. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I tried watching the premiere last week, and it was horrible, I watched bits of this week only because it airs between SFU and Ali G, I still can't stand it. The acting, the writing, the premise - nothing clicks with me. It's too in your face, for a program that has nothing to say for itself.

10. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I think that's what I like about it. [​IMG] Ah well...diff'rent strokes.

11. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

Didn't like that show either. Now Family Ties, I love that show.

12. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Funny, I think Ali G is TERRIBLE.

I thought this episode was much better then the 1st as well, and seems like they can only get better as the show evolves a bit more.

13. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

No wonder the networks like to say they won't take a chance on characters that are unlikable, that seems to be what most people took away from the show before giving up on it.

After getting through the setup of the first episode myself, I saw a fascinating dynamic develop between the friend in the "guest house" and the agent. This kid tries to look out for his friend, but ends up stuck in the middle of a power game. It really made me think about how easily someone who was unprepared could be completely squashed by the Hollywood game. And while the first episode showed a lot of the carefree decadance that can come from being a movie star, I did not think for one minute that the goal was to just wallow in that and celebrate it. The dark underbelly will show itself...

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Ali G is the one show I really can't take to watch.

Back to the thread, it's not a bad show, but Entourage (not the Mac client, the show) just seems so plastic, where none of the characters have any depth more then a puddle, that I don't get a lot out of it.

I tried to give it a go, but it's no "sex in the city" hell, it's not even "Arliss" [​IMG]

15. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

That's not the problem at all. Shows like The Sopranos and especially Curb Your Enthusiasm thrive on unlikable characters. The issue is that the characters are uninteresting. They're glorified moochers served up with the same age-old Hollywood cliches.

16. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I wouldnt call them moochers. its a pact type of thing. I have one with my closet friends also. if one of us gets fame and fortune first, we all get it. we all come up together. Each member of the shows Entourage works in one way or the other to help out. One cooks and trys to audition, one is now a manager type, one is an errand boy. granted they live the good life based off of their friends success, but they are a click. An inner circle, made of trust worthy friends. Piece of mind itself is worth the money, especially in unfamiliar cut-throat territory like Hollywood. You need trust and confidentiality.

I personally love the show. What a badonkadonk on that psycho fanatic huh?

17. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I personally like the show, especially since it has some elements that I have witnessed firsthand (a couple buddies of mine play/have played pro sports, pretty similar lifestyles). Also, i find it interesting since the show is somewhat loosely based on Marky Mark's, ne Mark Wahlberg's, entrance into the Hollywood good life, and his epxeriences with the internal crew of friends. While there are plenty of cliches and stereotypes about Hollywood in each episode, they are used to illustrate the vapidness of Hollywood and how they interact with the morality and devotion of the series' core figure, the manager played by Kevin Connolly.
    Oh, and I think that Jeremy Piven NAILS the alpha-dog agent like none else.

18. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

well said Chung

19. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

Anyone know the title or artist of the 'Indian Hip Hop' song playing when the pulled up the club in the Limo. It sounded a lot like the song they played on ER, when Gallant bought Neela a CD.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, I've caught up with the 1st 4 episodes, and some of it is amusing, and pretty juvenile, but the eye candy is nice. I guess I'll stick around for the last 4 episodes for this season.