Entire REM Catalog On "Double Disc" March 1, 2005

Discussion in 'Music' started by Felix Martinez, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Yes folks, I have them in hand (the DVD-A discs). The entire REM catalog (on *Warner*).

Release date is 3/1/05 in "Double Disc" packages: each release in a CD+DVD-A package. Again, I was sent only the DVD-As in blank jewel boxes, but I like that Warner plans to release them as separate platters in one package instead of DualDisc. I'll try to post more comments after the weekend.

Cheers,

2. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

So they are delayed from their 2/15 release date? Is that confirmed?

3. ScottHH

ScottHH Stunt Coordinator

Felix, by "The entire REM catalog", do you mean just the albums from Warner, as that's what I found on the web? Or do you mean the entire catalog including the IRS releases?
    IMHO Murmur, Reckoning, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant and Document are REM.

4. Felix Martinez

Yes, they are delayed from 2/15, and no - sorry - just the Warner releases.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Any data on the sampling rate? 24/96?

6. Michael St. Clair

Are the B-sides included? They had some great tracks from the 'Out of Time' and 'Automatic for the People' singles.

7. Felix Martinez

They are varied (MC, Stereo):

Green - 96/24, 192/24
    Out of Time - 96/24, 192/24
    Automatic For The People - 48/24, 48/24
    Monster - 96/24, 88.2/24
    New Adventures In Hi-Fi - 48/24, 48/24
    Up - 48/24, 48/24
    Reveal - 96/24, 96/24
    Best of REM - 96/24, 192/24 (interesting all the tracks in "Best Of" are at these sampling rates - even those from albums at 48/24).

And for DVD-V compatibility, I believe each title also has both Dolby Digital *and* DTS 5.1 options.

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks Felix. I'm a lock for Green and Out of Time. All but two are hirez.

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I'll be picking up Out Of Time, thats for damn sure.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Should change the thread title. I had my hopes up there for a moment.... [​IMG]

(The IRS titles.)

11. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Pardon my ignorance, but 48/24 doesn't count as high res? If so, that's strange because Absolute Sound has "Automatic" listed as one of the "best in format" under DVD-Audio (and I agree).

12. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Technically, anything higher than 16/44.1 counts as "hi-res" as it is higher in resolution than redbook standard. Now 16/48 (as some "enhanced" PCM tracks on Sony and subsidiary DualDiscs are) is probably not audibly better (and if it's in Dolby 2.0, then it's worse, as it's lossy). Early DVD-As had 20 bit/48 khz tracks (I have one I bought in Europe--it's hi-res as far as I'm concerned). A number of discs have 24/48, which is also hi-res, according to its technical definition. Some choose to regard anything less than 24/88.2 as NOT hi-res, but that's rather like arguments Trekkies have over whether certain films/series are "canon". (check that out sometime, it's as feverishly debated as Catholicism vs Protestantism was in the 16th and 17th centuries). 24/48 is not AS high in resolution as 24/96, but it certainly doesn't qualify as "low resolution" as a result.

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

The reason is ask is because "Automatic" sounds great and it's a 48/24 title.

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

okay, so they may be using the "double disc" packaging, but the real question is...

Are they remastered in "Doubly"? [​IMG]

15. Justin_P

Justin_P Stunt Coordinator

I'm excited about these titles, especially Out of Time and Monster. I for one, am really glad Warner chose this release format, which is much much better in my mind than DualDisc. It's a good compromise. I've read that this is how the special edition of the new Beck album will be released as well, the album on redbook CD with a couple of bonus tracks, in a digipak with the DVD-Audio of the album. The only bummer is that it's sad to see that it appears Universal is ditching SACD completely (after that brilliant late fall run of Elton John and Eric Clapton releases) to adopt this release strategy, but maybe between this and Sony's appearent abandonment of SACD that we may see an end to the format war.

Anyway, here's to hoping that we can someday get our hands on Intravenous De Milo and Shark Sandwich on whichever format ultimately wins!

16. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    There were Warner DVD-As of Reveal, Automatic and Best, yes?

I surmise we won't know for sure until the titles are reviewed, but do we yet know if there's any content unique to these prior DVD-As that won't be available on these new releases?

And are these 2-fers basically hi rez and vid content on the DVD, standard rez and non-vid-based bonus content (B-sides, previously unreleased material, etc.) on the CD?

-p

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Don't worry 24/48 is Hi-res in the case of these releases, because that is what the original masters were recorded at. Upsampling is nothing more than trickery, and takes one further away from the original. No thank you to that.

J

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    The recording engineers in the audiophile community I work with don't consider anything less than 88.2k sampling hirez. The reason for this is twofold: 1) hirez really refers to sampling rate more than anything and 2) that 24/48 is only a marginal improvement in sonics but 24/96 is a big improvement, all else being equal of course.

Upsampling can also improve sonics in some cases if done right in my opinion but I have only heard a benefit in a few cases and some of that may be explained by improvements in mastering over time.

If some of the REM titles were done at 24/48 then having 24/96 may not be a good way to go but it would not be considered by the engineering community to be hirez.

The good news here is that hirez converters are getting cheaper all the time. Alessis, for instance, is about to release an economical 24/192k A to D in March.

19. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

If they were multitrack recorded digitally in the late 80's or early 90's, I would bet the masters were recorded at 16/48.

20. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Let's not forget Document, which personally I find a better presentation than AFTP. The AFTP multichannel mix, while very good, sounds uncohesive in some places, notably the much-louder drums in "Drive" that come to the forefront in a very distracting way.