What's new

Entire Peter Gabriel Collection to be Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Also, we've got an update on those Peter Gabriel and Police SACDs. Peter Gabriel's Up stereo/multi-channel SACD has indeed been delayed by Universal Music until later in the first quarter, but the good news is that Peter Gabriel's ENTIRE catalog will be released on stereo SACD this year, including 1, 2, 3, Security, Plays Live, Birdy, Passion, So and Us. And The Police catalog release (tentatively set for 2/25) will include Every Breath You Take: The Classics in stereo/multi-channel SACD, and Outlandos d' Amour, Regatta de Blanc, Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity and The Police: Live all in stereo SACD. There is some reason to believe that these Police discs will also include a hybrid CD layer, although Universal's press release isn't entirely clear on this point. Look also for the company to announce upcoming SACD releases from Three Doors Down, The Wallflowers and The Roots.
I hope this is true. I am not a huge Peter Gabriel fan, but I will at the very least get the So SACD. It looks like Universal is sticking with the original Gabriel albums, as there is no mention of Shaking the Tree: 16 Golden Greats. That's O.K.
The Police on SACD will be great. I am really geeked for those SACDs. I am guessing that these SACDs will be very cheap like the other Universal discs. I would really love to see Ghost In the Machine and Synchronicity SACDs at Best Buy for $14.99. If they are hybrids, all the better! :)
Does anyone know which Wallflowers title(s) will be put onto SACD? Please, please let it be Bringing Down the Horse. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Keith, second that. I would very much like "Bringing Down the Horse" to be on SACD, for I feel that's the only Wallflowers album to be worth it's salt, and it's a great record (flame away!).

I am not a huge Gabriel or Police fan, but will definately be exploring some of these SACD's upon their release, especially "So".

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hybrid or not, I'm getting these titles. Mastercard, can you please up my card limit??

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Well, crap. I just bought the remastered Peter Gabriel 1,2,3 & Security. And I'd hate to give up Message in a Box. Decisions, decisions...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Very good news indeed. Universal doesn't have The Police listed as coming soon on their new formats site. They do have some February and March releases listed now, and it looks like The Who have slipped to Febrauary now instead of coming out next week as was up on their site last week. At least these discs are now in the pipeline, and as always hopefully we get them sooner then later.

If the Police discs are indeed Hybrids, I will be picking most if not all of them up. Either way, I really like Universal's pricing scheme for single layer and Hybrid discs.

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, OK, right after I just shelled out the cash for the remastered CDs. Yeah, that's smart marketing... :rolleyes

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,
Yes, it is smart marketing. They got you to spend your money on their discs once. Now they'll get you to do it again. ;)
Evan,
I don't have the other Wallflowers albums, but Bringing Down the Horse is excellent. I'd love to hear it on SACD. Oh, please, please. :)
Justin,
Could you post a link to Universal's "New Formats" release list? With all the great stuff Universal is releasing, I think I should have that site bookmarked. Thanks in advance. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I am very glad that I didn't buy andy of the Gabriel remasters because of the SACD rumors. Can't wait for multichannel "Security".

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I hope they announce all future releases will be hybrids along with some new SACD player releases.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Some have complained that the new CD remasters sound more compressed than the original releases. Let's hope that this is not the case for the SACDs.

And yes, it was very poor form to release new CD remasters less than a year before hi-res remasters.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lots more 'Home Theater in a Box' systems coming for high-res audio.
I noticed a week ago at Best Buy that Sony is pushing a $600 HTiaB for SACD (with this feature noted prominently). I guess it is the beginning of a trend.
If these Gabriel discs are single-layer, I'm not buying. :thumbsdown:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Kinda getting away from the original subject, but I clicked on the link provided by Justin (thanks!), and saw that Zenith announced an universal player (the DVB318) for under $200. Am I the only one who read that??

From highfidelityreview.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks