What's new

Entertainment Weekly 100 New Classics (1 Viewer)

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

Glad to be of service. Of course you should of already known that Se7en is the best movie of the last 25 years but I'll let you off this time.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Lion King was there.

The Lion King did big business and had tremendous sway over future movies, expectations, and even Broadway. But I think The Little Mermaid is much more important: it launched Disney's second Golden Age, the 1990's renaissance and a new generation of fantabulous soundtracks :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll point out that the term "New Classics" is kind of absurd in itself. Aside from that, it always amazes me how worked up so many people get about these lists. Personally, yeah, Die Hard and Clueless deserve inclusion. Gladiator, not so much, especially considering other modern and very popular epics such as Shawshank and Braveheart were excluded. Again, those aren't really my personal choices, but they are extremely influential and popular. Far more than Gladiator, IMO.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did you notice what forum you're posting in? :) People get worked up over all things movies. The ranking of their favorite and least favorite movies is the first thing I'd expect them to get worked up over :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Taking John’s comment that New Classics is a tautology into account, I wonder if there is enough interest in the last 25 years to make up our own top 100 of the last 25 years list? If there is, I’ll start a thread with this list as a basis. I’ll also add films that for one reason or another possibly deserve inclusion. If some deserving (or what turns out to be) non-deserving movie has been overlooked, they can be included.

Then we can all rank the ones we each individually feel worthy and then can compile the consensus list.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Just some films not on the list that caught my eye :

Note - Not all films listed here do I consider great or should be in, but are generally well recieved and just for comparison to stuff that are on it.

- The Usual Suspects
- JFK
- Groundhog Day
- The Big Lebowski
- Trainspotting
- Boyz in the Hood
- Amadeus
- Seven
- American Beauty
- The Untouchables
- Reservoir Dogs
- Braveheart
- American History X
- The Princess Bride
- Heat
- Good Will Hunting
- Miller's Crossing
- Ran
- Platoon
- A Christmas Story
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
- A Fish Called Wanda
- Forrest Gump

Ray

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Some of the biggest omissions from the list for me are:

Shawshank Redemption
Heat
Miller's Crossing

all mentioned already and some favorites that I believe are legitimate classics:

The Last of the Mohicans
The Natural
A River Runs Through It

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'd certainly have no problem with deleting Titanic, but it's the kind of film that I understand it's inclusion on this list, even though I don't agree with it. No, it's not true that only teen girls like it - it is true that it is a film which is a perfect match for pre-teen girls. However, back on track.

What would I delete to make room for Roger Rabbit? I think it's a better movie than tons of those on the list, so I would personally have no problems finding a lot to drop, but in search of some concensus, how about The Piano, Blair Witch, Napoleon Dynamite, Out of Africa or Dirty Dancing?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to agree with "George", but a few years ago I decided to have a poll on the worst movie in my collection. The winner was Dirty Dancing, which I had bought for my (ex) wife and is no longer in my collection. It's just amusing to see it in this list.

Nophix

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Milton
Wow, there is some BS on that list!

It should be titled "Author's top 100 films" since it's obvious that's what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks