What's new

entertainment centers?? (1 Viewer)

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
ok - not sure if this is the right forum, but i'll try...

looking to get a nice entertainment center, probably a medium colored wood (oak, etc...) that will house my current 36" tube, and my future HT system...

I don't like the armoire (sp?) deals, i figure the doors will always be open, and wouldn't want an eyesore (just my opinion), and i don't like the open-rack designs (actually the wife doesn't like that)...

what should I be looking for? i know i need to route lots of wiring (hopefully without cutting) and i'll need to vent lots of hot air from the electronic components....

i expect to go medium budget on equipment, single receiver and components (no separate amps, etc)

ideas? pictures of good examples?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Todd,
I don’t know if your entertainment center is like mine, but if the shelves are adjustable, that means they aren’t attached to the rear panel. It was easy to pull the shelves forward a little and squeeze the wiring between the shelf and the back panel. Use a hole saw and cut a hole(s) where you want the wires to come in and/or out, centered so it’s directly behind the equipment.
You didn’t say what kind of equipment you have, so it’s hard to get specific with cooling strategies. If you have just a receiver, place it above everything else and then install an exhaust fan on the back panel at the top of that compartment.
If you have separate amps and you don’t want to give up the “easier to reach” upper spaces, place them down low and install an exhaust fan at the top of that compartment (again, in the back panel). That way the hot air will exhaust out before it has a chance to rise to the other equipment.
If you want advice on specific fans to use, do a search or post a new question. A lot of people here have done this, so you’ll have plenty of suggestions.
If you like I can e-mail you some pictures of mine.
Happy Holidays,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BruceD

Screenwriter
My armoire has the type of doors that open and then slide back into the unit for my 36" Direct view TV to be seen.

This unit looks very good when open or closed. My unit is from a North Carolina furniture manufacturer called Lexington.

BruceD

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
There're plenty of compromises involved w/ SAF, but there are some nice open shelf pieces out there. From my experience, I suggest not locking yourself into a direct-view TV "hole" in the event you ever go to a RPTV. See a webphoto, below, of an expandable unit; note how the top and side towers slide in/out.
Lee Bailey has this nice HT website with photos and advice:
Click here

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks