Entertainment Center Construction

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryant Brunner, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bryant Brunner

In an effort to reach a common ground. I agreed to have the front channels enclosed within the entertainment center. I presently have Paradigm Studio 100’s and am worried about producing an off-color sound by placing them within a secondary enclosure. I have approximately three inches on each side of the front ported speaker. Will installing Dynamat or another product within the cabinet help limit the reduction in sound quality. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Who says it will be a reduction in sound quality?

Dynamat would probably help deaden the entertainment center, reducing vibrations. If it's an in-wall or whole wall entertainment center, you may see a peak in lower frequencies due to the fact that the bass drivers will now be operating in half the space they would if they were out on the floor. Something called diffraction loss... (well, in this case it would be diffraction gain, I suppose.) This is going to happen regardless of what you do to the inside of the entertainment center.

In short, I would say.. stick 'em in there and see how they sound. You can always add the Dynamat later.

3. Bryant Brunner

Thanks Dave,

I just called a local Reference dealer and they indicated that with the addition of an egg-crate foam within the cabinet, I would effectively limit any potential impact. I have a tendancy to over-analyze things so I'll just run with your suggestion of just waiting and listening to the result.

4. Mac F

Mac F Agent

I can understand your need for compromise, rest assured you are not alone. I have been wondering about a built in entertainment center with the possibility of pulling the speakers out into the room for critical listening and viewing, but hidden from view while the room is used for casual viewing or other purposes.