Enterprise vs Smallville

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I could not help myself and thought this might be amusing to you, or I have too much time on my hands....

I've noticed that before Smallville premiered this year, there was doom and gloom feelings for Trek that once Smallville aired, it would kill Enterprise. What is interesting is that a lot of those that used to comment on Trek here on the HTF, are not there, at least they don't say anything, Jack Briggs and others left, Trek is dead to them I presume. But a lot of new names are there now.

What is interesting is the void was filled, perhaps new fans, and what I noticed is that the threads for Trek and Smallville sort of race neck on neck with posts, the day after a new show. But then Trek starts to edge out Smallville.

Looking at this week's number of posts here at the HTF now, Trek is ahead, and the number of views for Trek is double those of Smallville. Looks like the material in this third year of Trek is provoking discussion and a bit of passion again.

Perhaps this can be tranlated to ratings, or at least that there is still a viewing audience for Enterprise. Just an observation.

Nelson

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While I don't have the exact numbers, Enterprise has consistently placed at the bottom of the network ratings this season. Smallville is the clear ratings victor between the two and Enterprise (while doing better than last season) is a distant second.

The descripency here comes from the fact that the diminishing Trek fanbase is perhaps more passionate than the Smallville fanbase. (Or maybe it simply has more to bitch about in a given episode[​IMG])

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Why does everything have to boil down to a competition with someone keeping score? And I would assume that by now anyone who wanted to could program a VCR or had a DVR. Heck, my cable company gave me a DVR for a mere extra $6 a month.

Now, if Clark and Captain Quantom Leap got into a fight, Clark would whoop his arse! [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Enterprise has that car-wreck quality to it (where people sort of tune in just to see if the material produces an eye-rolling effect), and the Enterprise threads tend to also lament the writing excesses of B&B, though they have gotten smart and let others write the episodes this season, which has produces less moaning and groaning about the Enterprise episodes. I usually won't watch my recording of Enterprise until the weekend or the next week, its priority is pretty low for me.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Fair enough comments. Wasn't trying to keep score. Just looking at how the reactions here could be an indication of how the show might be doing. People are obviously watching it, via VCR or Tivo or live.