What's new

enterprise - the title music: what the ****? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If I had directed that episode, I would have cut the "shower scene". Awful, Awful Awful. Just designed for horny teenage boys to catch their eye. Obviously it worked

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I had similar reactions to Jeff's--the scene, as memorable as it may have been, was gratuitous.

If that "official" Enterprise thread is brought back to life when new episodes resume, it's time to have a midseason "what-Enterprise-needs" assessment. I have many thoughts on how Blalock is portraying T'Pol (she needs to look closely at the TOS DVDs and pay close attention to Leonard Nimoy's technique).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have many thoughts on how Blalock is portraying T'Pol (she needs to look closely at the TOS DVDs and pay close attention to Leonard Nimoy's technique).
Yes! Or even Brent Spiner's "Data". So far, he's best captured Nimoy's emotionally-detached interest in us humans :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty decent. But then, I got bored with the series after about three or four episodes, so I guess I'm just not a target-audience trekkie.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I dunno, I like how Blalock is portraying T'Pol. As an actor myself, I'd hate to see her simply emulate Nimoy. Spock was Spock, and T'Pol will never be Spock. I for one like her smug superiority. Why can't Vulcans be individuals? They're logical, not prototypical.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, oddly enough, the one thing Voyager did get right was Tim Russ's portrayal of Tuvoc--the best interpretation of a Vulcan since Leonard Nimoy and Mark Lenard. My problem with Blalock is that T'Pol always seems to be seething with contempt--and Vulcans are supposed to supress their emotions.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
and Vulcans are supposed to supress their emotions.

Yup, SUPRESS, they do, in fact, have them. They just try not to let them interfere with their logic. It's the Kohlinar students who take it to the absolute extreme.

Spock took it to an extreme, because he felt (probably correctly) that he'd have to do twice as good as the average Vulcan to get half the respect.

She doesn't want to be there, and Archer acts like a four year old, in her eyes.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I would have cut the "shower scene". Awful, Awful Awful. Just designed for horny teenage boys to catch their eye. Obviously it worked
I just wish I WAS still a teenager. :) I remember watching TOS (the original broadcasts) when I was just a wee lad.
It's just a TV show, not quite Shakespeare's plays, and some Trekkies obviously need to lighten up a bit.

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to look at the title of the show. It's the first Star Trek show that doesn't have "Star Trek" in the title. That -- and the decidedly non-standard Trek opening music -- are part of a move to get more people to watch the show. There's probably a large number of people who decided they weren't going to watch Enterprise because it was "just another Star Trek show". If it was actually called "Star Trek: Enterprise", I think even more non-Trek fans would have ignored it.

Besides, it's not a bad opening number. I feel that the people who complain about the song are doing so because the opening number wasn't a soaring, orchestrial piece like they expected. You wanted "generic Star Trek music" and got something else.

The music and the title are clues that Enterprise is supposed to be a different show than the previous Star Trek shows.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Besides, it's not a bad opening number. I feel that the people who complain about the song are doing so because the opening number wasn't a soaring, orchestrial piece like they expected. You wanted "generic Star Trek music" and got something else.

This is my personal opinion. I don't know about the others who don't like the opening song. Truth be told, I WAS expecting another nice orchestral piece, but I wouldn't have minded if something else had been used. My problem with the song is that is just that I'm not into that type of music. It reminds me of the 80's "Air Supply" type of music and I was never into it.

Like I said, my personal opinion.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
"Faith of the Heart" was originally sung by Rod Stewart and it appears on the Patch Adams soundtrack.

I prefer the original to the "enterprise version".

Overall, it didnt bug me at all. I was kinda getting tired of the orchestral music. In fact, its kinda "feel goodish". 80s sounding? I have no problem with that.

-ikiru

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
I picture millions of people mouthing the lyrics to "The Enterprise Theme" in grocery stores everywhere.

Seriously, c'mon it's bad AOR like someone else said. I feel like I'm on hold everytime I catch the first few notes.

However, I really enjoy the opening title sequence montage.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The reasons the ratings were down was simple

TNG was what the Trekkers wanted

DS9 was too different for most of them, even though it was superior in its writing and story

Voyager was a mess from beginning to end, except for that about 10 episode run of exceptional episodes in season 5

Enterprise is a departure, while keeping the basic theme. Let's face it, most of Roddenberry's views are pretty outdated (skimpy clothes, beehive hair,a seeming ban on rock music in the future, utopian earth etc) These ideas have just about been played out in the almost 800+ episodes of various Trek shows. It's time to move on, try something new. I think the show has a solid foundation, and for the most part good characters. They just don't quite know what they're doing with it yet

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Another point I'd like to return to if that "official" thread resumes is my fear that a routine is setting in--that is, we're a little too quickly phasing over to a business-as-usual ethic in the scripts; the crew is taking for granted all that happens, it seems. We need to keep that sense of wonder in the mix, that gee-golly-wiz attitude that seemed so prevalent in the first episodes.

Why not have an episode about a close survey of a neutron star or something? No villians--that is, other than the hostile environment of interstellar space itself--just a pioneering crew watching in awe as the wonders of the Universe unfold before them.

I'd like to go a few episodes without the crew toting their "phase pistols" and getting into raygun fights with another alien-of-the-week.

The show needs to maintain its freshness by focusing the stories on the fresh and the exciting. That's the way space is.

Am I making sense?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Am I making sense?
To me, yeah. :) But I guess I'm just a little harsher on the show than most because I'm a writer... and the people writing these episodes are far more qualified than I am to write good material, and they are being held back by a formula that quite simply, isn't working!
Enterprise scripts come across as having been written by committee. They're dull and formulaic, they suffer from the TPM syndrome of actors waiting for a cue.
The theme song spends so much time talking about "the heart!/the soul!" but the show doesn't have any!!
This is all my opinion and not meant to tread on anyone else's less-harsh view of the show.
Joseph

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That's when the ship's "gravity plates" malfunction, causing Archer to float and then fall on his hind quarters, right?

As for the franchise appearing to have been written by committee--it often is, literally. But, my goodness, compare and contrast the new series with the one that preceded it. Can you say "night and day"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks