What's new

enterprise - the title music: what the ****? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I know this is old hat to most of you guys, but Enterprise didn't get its first showing on Brit TV until last night. The show itself seems fine, but what, in the name of all things holy, persuaded the makers to use the ****ing awful title music? Please tell me that it was only used on the pilot episode and that there's something better used in future weeks.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It stays, it's gonna keep staying, so get used to it.
Truth be told, I like it. The combination of the music and images really works for me.
Now if we could just erase the phrase "temporal cold war" from Berman's & Braga's minds... :)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
It's pretty bad... More suited for a teen drama than a science fiction series.

Music in Star Trek films and series have always had a sort of nobility, the most recent series not withstanding.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
It grows on you.

And this series really is about humanity in it's teens; they're growing up, rebellious, hate the Vulcans (who act like stern disapproving parents) and think they know better, and are slowly maturing.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
And this series really is about humanity in it's teens; they're growing up, rebellious, hate the Vulcans (who act like stern disapproving parents) and think they know better, and are slowly maturing.
Touche'!!

From that angle it makes more sense, I still don't like it, but I understand it a little better now.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've no problem with the visual aspect of the opening titles (in fact, I like them a lot), but I cannot see the music growing on me. First, I don't like the song anyway (mediocre example of that most mediocre of forms, easy-listening AOR), and second, it's wrong, wrong, wrong for a sci-fi series, and especially a Star Trek clone, which, as Jasen has wisely said, has in the past always had a certain nobility. Plus, the music is going to date horribly - orchestral music doesn't date as easily. If you doubt this, try to think of a single movie from the 70s with a rock/pop soundtrack which sounds modern today (as opposed to a 'classic of its era' as e.g. Saturday Night Fever). Now try the same with a 'classical' orchestral soundtrack. Point proven.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
It sucks. They should have just gone with generic Star Trek music. Since I'm unable to watch the show when it is on, I always tape it. Needless to say, the fast forward button comes in handy...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They should have just gone with generic Star Trek music.
Half the franchise's problems come from just doing the "generic Star Trek" whatever; at least this theme tries to give the show its own identity and reflect it. "Voyager" had a beautiful theme, but it didn't really reflect the series in any way.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Call the media! I am in agreement with Jason Seaver, from both posts. The music does grow on you, and combined with the images of "pushing the frontier" (especially that shot of Alan Shepard as he suits up to lead the Apollo 14 mission), it makes for a misty-eyed-inducing sort of propaganda.

I also agree with Andrew that orchestral music doesn't date so readily, but, as Jason noted, Voyager had gorgeous theme music--but look at what it was for.

Being one of the many people out here, who has to get a hold of this series from the more shadowy corners of the internet, I am just happy to be able to -- for the first time -- be able to enjoy a televisonshow along side it's homeland viewers.

Concerning the title-music, I must agree that it will probably age very quickly, but that doesn't make it bad as such. I love it and and always turn up the volume when it comes on. I like the hero-y feel to the music accompanied by the pictures of mankinds development towards space-travel and the time of the series.

When we look back on this in ten years time we will almost certainly think of the titel-music as pretty dated. But the same goes for the TOS-theme which I simply hate, it makes my toes curl and the hairs on my back (I'm the human equivalent of an ape) stand up. The Voyager theme was excellent and had the appropriate feeling of heroism and grandior.

Let us just enjoy this very intertaining series and see if we can avoid letting our feelings toward the titel-music ruin the experience.

/Michael

Cliff B

Agent
I'm another person in the "like the music' camp. It was a bold, fresh move for the franchise. I realize that change is hard to accept sometimes but what's really so bad about the music?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I thought they should have used the music in the commercials, that was perfect. Like has been said, it does grow on you, and the imagery is so great in the opening you just start to ignore it

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
We're not talking about the contents of the show itself. We're talking about just the opening music.

I agree with most of you in saying: What the hell is up with ENTERPRISE's opening song? They could use whatever images they want, I still won't like it.

And yes, Voyager had a beautiful theme.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Having read the posts, it occurs to me that Voyager and Enterprise should have swapped title music. Having said that, there were some weeks when the music was the only thing worth watching Voyager for, even allowing for Seven of Nine's costumes.

Incidentally, I should perhaps add that I've no complaints about Enterprise itself, or at least, not yet. I don't want any spoilers, but please can I be reassured that in future weeks nothing resembling Wesley, Janeway or Neelix appears?

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
There's a touch of Wesley in there, without the "boy genius" side of him (leaving only the "annoying kid" side). But thankfully it's been kept to a minimum so far. No Janeway-esque ethical flip-flopping from episode to episode, and nothing coming close to resembling Neelix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks