Enterprise Season 3....will it be the censored version?...

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, May 13, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

In season 3 of Enterprise. Their was a scene where T'Pol undressed in front of Trip. In the US version you see just her back. In the Canadian version you see her arse. So I am wondering what version will be released?

2. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Whoa... I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Canadian version.

3. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

I was not aware of that, but I believe, unfortunately, it will be the U.S. version we get. If a separate Canadian versions comes out though, I'm all over it.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

no butt = no sale

(...and the funny part is I am actually serious; it will be a factor)

5. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

I don't remember much about this, what episode is it from?

6. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

7. Rian

Rian Stunt Coordinator

I'm betting it was a body double for Jolene.

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Rian, then you don't know Jolene! Anyway it was only the small of the back/upper butt we're talking about. The only reason it was zoomed (censored by cropping) in the US was because it was due to air right after the Superbowl fiasco.

9. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Seeing as how the Enterprise DVDs are following, for the most part, with the previous series in presenting its episodes in its original broadcast versions, I would think they would show the episode the way it was originally filmed and not present the censored version. Then again, I never saw the episode because when my wife and I moved into our first apartment, we were without cable for several weeks, and I missed "Harbinger". Every time it aired again in repeats, I still missed it. But I did get all of the episode trailers recorded for that episode (and there are four different versions of it), and in each one the uncensored shot is pretty much visible (except for when the shot fades to black, leaving her robe only present on screen and falling). We'll know when ENT S3 hits in September.

Another one that interests me is in the upcoming S2 set, "Shockwave, Part II". The first time it aired, it was slightly edited in some places. Then when it was rerun, there was an extra minute of additional footage and scene extensions restored to the episode. I'm wondering if the original telecast or the extended telecast will be on the S2 set (I'd like to think the extended telecast will be on the set). We'll know in a couple of months.

10. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

Well I just checked my downloaded copy of that episode and it contains the uncensored shot. I would hope that this is how the DVD will present it since this is how the shot was originally intended.

11. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I've treated the many TV series and feature film incarnations of Star Trek like any other series: I watch every one ONCE. So I won't be buying any of them on video.

But I decided to read this thread to find out what was censored, and it still makes no sense why some people are so flustered over nudity (and partial nudity at that)! If it were someone ugly, vastly overweight, or deformed.....OK, that I can understand -- cover those people up! But a strikingly beautiful woman and former model like Jolene Blalock? I'd say both straight male as well as lesbian viewers would like to see MORE of her, not less! [​IMG]

12. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

The uncensored version of the DS9 episode with Dax and her former lover kissing was placed on the corresponding DVD set, so I assume the Enterprise set will follow suit.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    IIRC, Rejoined was never cut by the studio. Maybe certain stations preempted the episode or had a cut version, but the version on the DVD is the same that was broadcast to most places. To the Death, on the other hand, was cut before being broadcast and made the DVD in cut form.

14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

What was cut from To the Death? Violence? A great DS9 episode, BTW.

15. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Yeah, some of the violence. I really don't care that it's not there, but it would have been an opportunity to add it back with the DVDs.

16. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Why would they censor the DVD release????

It's not like a lot of 10 year olds are shelling out 100 bucks for these. If they did, then why not censor every "R" rating film out there on DVD! Americans censors have funny ways of thinking...."OH MY GOD, IT'S A BREAST, WE'RE ALL GOING TO HELL", then you switch the channel and watch Keiffer on 24 shoot people in the head!
    [​IMG]

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Shhh! I don't want them going after violence too[​IMG]

It seems likely (especially if it aired in some countries in its original form) that they will release it on DVD in its inteneded form. Plus, they know Trek fans will raise hell.

18. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I've been watching newly released DVDs of the early 1960s police drama series NAKED CITY, and the violence among the drama there is realistic: people getting beaten up, stabbed, shot. In one episode a man is shot and the blood is briefly seen trickling on the floor (and that's a black & white show -- not that it matters).

So how can anyone have a problem with a modern STAR TREK series having that kind of violence? [​IMG]

19. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Interesting info to find out. I hope the uncut stuff is featured on the sets.

20. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I don't know if he had inside information or was just guessing, but I believe Jeff Kleist said the To the Death footage was simply unavailable. It's been a number of years, so I don't remember if it was because they had no reason to keep the footage, or what. In any case, I'm not sure it's an absolute guarantee that the episode in question will be cut.