Enterprise Possibly Coming to R2 This Christmas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Waller, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Here's the story from The R2 Project:

You may remember before Christmas we arranged a link through to the a Paramount sponsored on-line survey regarding "Enterprise" on DVD. Paramount wanted feedback on the release strategy, should there be a release every month or one big box set before Christmas. Previous surveys we have run (see: Our On line survey for example ) suggested that readers of this website wanted a box set at Christmas and not featureless disks once a month.

Well it seems that Paramount and their on-line survey (which was also mailed to members of their Latinum card database) agrees with us. In a major "Enterprise" article in a trade publication, Paramount have let it be known that "Enterprise" will be coming to DVD as a boxset just before or after Christmas this year. Paramount's "Star Trek Marketing expert" is quoted as saying about the opinions expressed in the survey:

"They want the product as quickly as they can get it and they know that VHS is the quickest route to market"

"They also said that what they didn't want was DVDs month in and month out with poor extras. They want a DVD box set that is totally comprehensive."

The article also mentions that the extras for the set are already being worked upon although there are no details as of yet. However we can confirm that the VHS series (at least episode one) is being released widescreen (around 1.78:1 letterbox) so I guess that the eventual DVD release will also be widescreen.

2. andrew markworthy

This is feasible - there have been rumours in several Brit magazines that the series may come out on DVD in the near future. Not sure the timing of the boxed set is a brilliant idea, given that if it is December, it will be in competition with Back to the Future (*if* it comes out) the Lord of the Rings boxed set, etc.

3. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Is there any news about this?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, I'm guessing they want to do a unified Enterprise release worldwide

5. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Right after Voyager hits dvd in a couple of years. That's a long wait...

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I doubt that they'd want a unified world-wide release of this. Historically we've often seen series released much faster in Europe than in the US (Stargate has just released the entire season 5 here in Europe and they are only now getting around to the season 2 box set in the US, to pick just one example).

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Kimmo, normally I'd agree with you, but things are starting to change in that regard, and Enterprise is not bound by the restrictions shows like Buffy and Stargate are

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

That would be great, because all the other info points to them releasing DS9 in 2003 and then Voyager in 2004 and only then getting to Enterprise, but that's the worldwide plans with a season boxset every other months like we see with TNG, still they could release it in UK, they got Mutant X already and other new and recent series and seasons, plus Enterprise already out on VHS, so I hope for a R2 release this Christmas indeed.

9. Jorma

Jorma Extra

I'd wish they'd drop their boxset prices.. the R2 boxsets are quite expensive (Star Trek: The Next Generation.

10. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Well, the R1 boxset can be shipped to Finland for a cost of about 108 euros including shipping (but not customs if it gets stuck there) whereas the R2 including shipping is available for 95 euros, both from retailers that usually don't have their packages stick in customs.
    It's a great deal of money of course, but it's not more expensive in R2 than R1 really. And we get much cooler packaging. [​IMG]

11. Jorma

Jorma Extra

Kimmo, i was thinking the current pricing on most DVD-boxsets. I think they're bit too expensive generally [​IMG]
    I dont undestant how Amazon.de can sell the Babylon 5 boxset (6 discs) of Season 1, for 29.99 Euros (about the same in USD].

12. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Yups, just went to Amazon.de, and you're right. It does sell for €30. That's SICK!

On the same page they show the UK import for €100. It's the same box, just the text is in German.

I think I'll just cancel my pre-order now and get it in Germany.

13. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

14. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Too be honest I find this unlikely: I mean how much money do they expect R2 DVD owners to actually have?

Should they decide to lower the price of each box set by £20 I see it being much more likely... but what are the chances of that happening?

15. Jorma

Jorma Extra

I have had to skip Star Trek: NG season 3-> boxsets due i can't afford them (saving for A/V amp really), but if they'd sell them for (i dont know how much) less, i'd definetely buy more, not just Sci-fi boxsets.
    It's just good business for the Studios first to sell it to TV-Stations/Networks, then issue it on DVD and take the money for the 2nd time [​IMG]
    Well, i'm not complaining. I'm happy to see so much good TV-series on DVD. Wish they'd price them less expensive.
    Wondery why they havent issued the Star Trek Original Series on R2 yet? Perfect time for DVD-boxset(s) i'd say.

16. Bob Partovi

Bob Partovi Stunt Coordinator

any news on voyager?

17. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit