Enterprise may or may not return, UPN speaks

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

In case you care or not and are not tired of this kind of news, there's a news story on Trekweb where UPN has made some statements about the future of the Star Trek Prequel.

There's no definite decision yet, the next few months will tell. Essentially, it might, or might not be on the fall schedule. If UPN drops it, I hope Paramount Television will retool it and bring it back on syndication.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Whoa... You mean a Star Trek series may have to justify its existence on a year-to-year basis, just like every other show on TV? Unheard-of.

Next thing you know, the next Star Trek series might have to be good right out of the gate or face cancelation, like every other show on TV.

Given what syndication means now, that would basically mean "cut the special effects budget and lose Scott Bakula". There's no money there any more.

3. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I really do think Enterprise has improved. I look forward to it. Even when they are throwing sex at us, they don't forget to forward the plot. It's too bad that the ratings suck, but 2 years of VoyagerII quality shows and being on UPN will do that.

I hope we get a full 7 year run. I noticed Manny Coto has a C0-Exec producer credit now. New blood is good and it shows.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Jason said.

5. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Interesting news.

My thoughts are this. Even if the creative staff is replaced (which I would like) I dont think you are going to get most people back to resample it. It's too much, too little, too late. I am not saying that because I dont care for the show but because it's had too many redos that havent worked and its going to take an awfully lot to bring people back on a regular basis.
    The Trek name has been dragged through the mud the last few years and I dont think it will recover anytime soon.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    One part that doesn't seem to make sense is the meeting with Bakula to discuss a new production staff. Maybe Enterprise is different, but I don't think the actors were involved at that level on previous shows. From reading Moore, I know the writing staff at least would tolerate input from the actors, but just barely. I can't see them going to Bakula for advice on whom to replace Berman. But, maybe Hart was meeting with him to let him know what was going on.

8. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky

This could be a good thing.. From all the interviews concerning the series, Bakula has been very enthusiastic and open to outside (fan) input..

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I would say that the best thing for Ent would be season long arcs and not the episodic style that was a staple of TNG.
    Now if Whedon took over Ent......

10. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    And an arc that follows the original premise...

Zindi? Temporal cold war? Why not start with the birth of the Federation, the relations with the Vulcans and other founding members, etc..

11. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

The birth of the Federation should be the entire series arc of Enterprise. Season arcs should be the cornerstones of the series that build upon the premise of exploring and the idea of going where no man has gone before!

12. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

...We'd get a lot of episodes with nothing going on except people reminding us that something bad is going to happen, the crew trying to be funny speaking a strange mock-teen language, and a new captain with a bad English accent and platinum blonde hair. [​IMG]

Seriously, the only man who can save Enterprise is Ira Steven Behr.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Nah, there's probably tons, including plenty who've never worked on Star Trek before. It's just a question of whether Les Moonves or the head of Paramount Television or whoever makes these decisions can identify them.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

That's what the series WAS suppose to be about.

15. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Damn straight.. I was so excited.. [​IMG]

16. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Shouldn't there have been a Klingon war in there somewhere as well?
    It would have been after the Romulan war and the establishment of the Neurtal Zone.