1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Enterprise... holograms... oh please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Mallory, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Mike Mallory

Mike Mallory Agent

I was going to reply to Sean's thread but it's already gotten off topic. So I'll start anew...
    Holograms and "Q" characters are nothing more than plot contrivances for the benefit of the writers, who can't come up with a decent episode from week to week. The fact that they are already relying on holograms for the story line in only the fourth episode is making me wretch. There is no story line in the original series which can substantiate this. Please make them (the writers) stop.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I hardly think the fourth episode relied on holograms. It was a fairly minor part of the story, with larger implications down the line. Far more interesting was Trip's experiences on the alien ship, which was thankfully actually alien for a change. Most Star Trek aliens are only superficially different from us. These were some pretty odd ducks.
    Now, I am under the impression this was just kind of an "origin of the holodeck" sub-story. If Enterprise actually gets a holodeck, I'll join you in your disgust. There's no way that technology would be commonplace for Starfleet 100 years before Kirk.
    ------------------
    Wang Chi: Here's to the Army and Navy, and the battles they have won. Here's to America's colors, the colors that never run.
    Jack Burton: May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
    [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Mike's on to something, though. Think deus ex machina--and such plot contrivances are all too common in Star Trek.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]