What's new

Enterprise grounded next year? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to Berman. The fans really are enjoying Enterprise's new direction. The following story was from www.trektoday.com and contains some spoilers.

Star Trek: Enterprise's creator, Rick Berman, is happy with fan reaction to the third season of the show, and is also looking forward to a multi-episode arc that will end the season.

Speaking to Ian Spelling at Star Trek: Monthly, Berman said, "The ratings continue to creep up a little bit [and] the sense that we are getting from the fans, through web sites, through people who have called us and through people we know who stay in contact with the fans, is that people seem to be very pleased with the way Season Three is going."

Berman said he found it "gratifying" that the fans appear to be enjoying the evolving storyline of season three. "The idea of a core storyline, a continuing storyline that hopefully doesn't get in the way of the standalone elements of each episode, seems to be something that fans are enjoying," he noted.

Berman discussed some of the upcoming developments for the second half of season three. He mentioned the return of Shran (Jeffrey Combs), who will be showing up in the Delphic Expanse. He also promised the mysterious spheres will be explored: "We have a number of shows coming up that deal with the mythology of the spheres, one of which Manny Coto is writing now. We'll learn a lot more about the spheres."

Berman promised viewers would be seeing more of Gralik, the Xindi-humanoid that helped Archer in "The Shipment". "There's an episode that's being written by Mike Sussman that's a Mission: Impossible type of sting, dealing with our Xindi Humanoid scientist that we've likened to Oppenheimer," Berman revealed.

Berman also spoke of having the season conclude with a ten-episode arc. It is unknown how this arc will be affected by Enterprise's reduction from 26 episodes to 24 this season, as that information was not known when Star Trek: Monthly went to press. At the time, he said, "We've got stories beat out through episode 16 and that will put us into [a] 10-episode march towards the end of the season. And we're already starting to beat out the various things we need to do to take us from there through to the end of Season Three."

When asked about competition with Smallville, which moved to Wednesdays at 8pm eastern time, Berman stated that he didn't think there was a major audience overlap for the two shows. "I could be wrong, but I think that Smallville has a younger - skewed audience than we do," he said. He also mentioned that he would be open to a possible change of time slots for Enterprise. "I would not be opposed to UPN experimenting with other time slots," he said

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Berman and Braga and all of Paramount has always said that they stand behind their show and they like the direction it's going in and its better than ever.
I dont believe them anymore.

If fans love it so much this season, why arent the ratings up?

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
I admit, I am one of those who never gave Enterprise a chance.

I remember tuning into the first episode, and after about 45 seconds of having to endure that horrible country-rock theme song, I quickly changed the channel in disgust and never looked back.

To me, the choice of using that song says it all about the current bone-heads running the franchise. When I first heard they were doing a Trek series set BEFORE the time of Kirk, I had hopes that it would be an extremely stylized, retro-themed take on the Trek universe. They could have really had fun with this idea, the DS9 "Tribbles" episode being a good example of the potential of such a series.

But when I heard that pre-fab, lifeless theme song, it instantly became clear to me that the producers just didn't have a clue and Trek was no longer worth my time.

I was a big fan of TOS and TNG, and mildly interested in DS9, but gave up on Trek somewhere around the middle of Voyager's run and the Insurrection movie. I think Trek should just be killed off. Permanently. It has run it's course, and the current Trek is not really relevant to todays pop culture anymore.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So since Berman is so happy about the positive reaction, I am guessing he hasnt looked at this board or most of the posts on trekweb.com. Most are over Trek.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
I think the best explanation for the timeline changes was something I read at TrekBBS (this thread in particular). I will quote from Trekguide.com:

But remember, in the original TNG timeline, Seven of Nine did not exist. Earth's first contact with the Borg was the Neutral Zone attacks, and Picard meeting them in system J-25. In that timeline, Kes spent her entire life on the Voyager and met the Krenim in the Year of Hell.

But AFTER history was altered in "ST: First Contact," the Borg sphere crashed in the Arctic, the Drones were later found and studied by humans, and Archer's crew destroyed their assimilated ship, after making detailed scans and recordings. Two hundred years later, the Hansens went in search of these cybernetic creatures, got assimilated, and Seven of Nine joined the crew of the Voyager, Kes left and never met the Krenim during the Year of Hell.

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,
Great summary... that is what I have been feeling all along, Enterprise is in a new timeline, I am perfectly fine with the liberties they are taking. Do I think it could be better sure, but I am glad to have any Sci-Fi last on TV, every other show I watch gets cancelled.

Notice that in ST: Nemesis, Archer's name is listed on a computer screen during the Janeway sequence, I believe it was the name of a ship. So you can see this timeline is the one reflected in the latest movie as well.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thank you for reminding me why I hate time travel. :angry:

Personally, it feels like a copout rather than good writing.

Jason

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I have never read Anywhere that this is a sequel to First Contact or this Trek takes place in a different timeline. Other than someones theory on BBS I dont think this holds much water(dilithium?)
I remember reading that this was a prequel show that took place Before TOS.
That they have made it into a time travel show and ignored the beginnings of the Federation just goes to show you, as mentioned above, that the show was a nice idea but executed poorly.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
So you have to go through the original timeline, have Kirk, Picard, et al., then meet the Borg, to get the sequence of events leading the Borg and Picard back into Earth's past, so you can get to First Contact, so you can then go into Enterprise.

I think I just confused myself. :D

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I've watched most of the episodes since the begining and agree with what Jason S had to say. The biggest problem is the writing and the lack of passion that it continually shows.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Personally, it feels like a copout rather than good writing.
Exactly. If this is the excuse that they're trying to push, then effectively they are attempting to NULLIFY the Trek history and timeline that we have known for 30 years as canon by trying to implement a "new" canon based on the new, "alternate" timelime. And that's a crock of sh*t as far as I'm concerned.

But, considering that the team of B&B have been trying to reforge Trek in their own image for years, I can't say that I'm surprised.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Don't get yourself too knotted up over this First Contact/Borg/Voyager timeline thing. It's just a theory some guy proposed on a Star Trek BBS and not something B&B are responsible for, as far as we know.

By all accounts, Enterprise takes place before TOS. And the events in Enterprise are hopefully mapped out to resolve itself assuming the show runs a full 7 years and forms the Federation. That's my hope, that we will see events that lead to the formation of the United Federation of Planets.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Despite what Brannon Braga says, I prefer to think of the events of Star Trek First Contact as a predestination paradox. As far as I'm concerned, Picard and company always were meant to go back in time and help out the warp flight.

And until we have Daniels give more information about where and when he comes from, and future history, it could fall into the category of "He is from the future we've seen in Star Trek" or "His timeline will be eliminated or changed at some point".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks