What's new

"Enterprise" Death of the Star Trek Franchise ?? Part II (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I had to close the other thread on this down due to script problems.
Please continue discussions on this in this thread.
Parker

Kevin Fox

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
As was asked in the previous version of this thread "When did TNG 'take off' for you?
While my friends and I eagerly viewed "Encounter at Farpoint," we came off somewhat disappointed for most of the first season. Nevertheless, there were a few excellent episodes.
Probably my favorite was "11001001." I really enjoyed the exploration of the true potential of the holodeck and what makes someone a real person. I think this episode handled it much better than "Elementary, Dear Data" in the following season. Of course, Carolyn McCormick as Minuet was a definite bonus. I liked her playfulness here much better than her usually dour turns on Law & Order. "Heart of Glory" showed us that the Klingons could be interesting and actually gave Worf some much-needed character building. And despite its flaws, "Conspiracy" gave a nicely creepy aspect to the way-too-perfect NG universe. It's a shame they never followed up on it.
However, it wasn't until the second season's 1-2-3 punch of "A Matter of Honor", "The Measure of a Man," and "Q Who" that it really started to take off. "A Matter of Honor" had the great juxtaposition of Klingon and human philosophies along with Riker's growing sense of humor. "Q Who" unforgettably introduced the Borg, and they were never as terrifying as in that episode. John DeLancie's presence didn't hurt either. And "The Measure of a Man"'s truly in-depth and moving exploration of sentience was never topped again. It ranks up there in my list of the top 5 TNG episodes.
But even these great examples were still set amongst the dross of some no-so-good outings. Only in the third season did TNG become great. That plateau remained for about a season-and-a-half until the collapse in seasons 6 and 7.
All this really means is that I'm going to give Enterprise a good long chance to improve. I like the premise. I like the mood of discovery and trepidation about the unknown. And a couple of episodes have shown some potential—the flawed "The Andorian Incident" and "Breaking the Ice." It's already far better than Voyager.
------------------
"What is best in life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

Link Removed
Roykirk's DVD Collection

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, interestingly enough, I tuned into last night's TNG episodes on TNN, enduring that stupid station bug/message bar mess. The evening began with first season's "We'll Always Have Paris." Has anyone ever thought about how good that episode is? An interesting, relatively high-concept SF premise that was well executed. And you can tell that even here, in the first season, this cast was beginning to gel beautifully.
Now, with Enterprise on the cusp of gaining Warp Speed momentum, it really looks like the ol' franchise is back again.
Meanwhile, check out Matt Rousch's favorible assessment in the current issue of TV Guide. The only major criticism he had was of, in his words, the show's "cheesy theme song." And one can infer from his lead paragraph, about how easy it had become to take Trek for granted, that the franchise appears to have survived the Voyager debacle.
Finally, if the next feature film, Star Trek: Nemesis, is anywhere near as good as that script floating around the Internet, Trek's health is assured for a few years.
I'm glad to be so hopeful about all this.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I just discovered this thread; hope I'm not coming in too late.
I watched TOS as a kid; TNG some in college, then nightly reruns and weekly new episodes the last three or so years. I watched DS9 when TNG ended and Worf joined the crew. I watched Voyager start to finish.
I had no intention on watching Enterprise; I was Trekked out. To my dismay :) Enterprise had a very different style than all the others. The premiere especially was darker and more suspenseful than the new Treks generally were. So, I'm sucked in. I think it's got the strongest start of any of the new Treks, except possibly Voyager. Hopefully they will build on it, and reach the level that TNG and DS9 attained their last few years (which Voyager failed to do).

WoodyH

Stunt Coordinator
Mildy off topic question - any chance of getting this continuing thread's topic changed? It seems to have become the de facto "official Enterprise discussion thread". Or, if we'd rather just create a new thread for discussion, and keep this for whatever the current topic really is?
wink.gif
Just an idea.... :)
------------------
Woody Hanscom
Link Removed

NathanP

Supporting Actor
When did TNG get addictive to me?
Well, I really liked the stories in the first season or two.
But the acting and props were way off..
I guess I really started likeing TNG when they got rid of those nasty slouched helm/navigation chairs. Ech!
TOS and Voyager were big hits with me, but I only saw the last 2 seasons of Voyager
frown.gif

And DS9???
Never ever watched a full episode.
Enterprise?
Love it.
Seen every episode.
Even getting to like the them song!
"It's been a long road!!"

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
You never watched a full episode of Deep Space Nine? Oh, dear.
Allow me to recommend "The Visitor" as one of the best episodes this series has to offer, along with "Trials and Tribble-ations." You will come away very happy, indeed.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks