Enterprise "Carbon Creek": Episode

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tino, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I thought that this episode, Carbon Creek was going to be terrible after seeing the promo for it last week after the Enterprise premiere.
    Ya know, another goofy comical episode.
    Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be one of the best episodes so far. It was funny, well witten, smart, and even touching. Who would have thought?
    I haven't been that impressed with Enterprise since it's inception. It has had a few good episodes but on the whole has been IMO, a disappointing series, the weakest of all the Treks actually.
    But the "Carbon Creek" epsode has given me hope where none existed before. There may actually be some intelligent life out there in the Trek universe after all.[​IMG]
    Anyone else agree?

2. derek

derek Second Unit

I agree wholeheartedly. A very entertaining episode really revealing more about the Vulcans than I've ever seen in a single show. Blalock proved she can do alot more than fit well in a tight flight suit. The humor was quite good and shows that good writing and acting can often beat out a plethora of special effects.

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Blalock proved that even in an attempt at a touching episode there is still room to see her ample cleavage nekkid and flapping in the wind. To call the changing scene gratuitous would be...redundant. Are ratings that bad?? Don't get me wrong...I am a flaming heterosexual who loves to see a woman's body, but gads...at least have some reason to do so every episode.

This wasn't a horrible episode, especially if they could have left it with Trips realization that it was a shaggy dog story. That would have been funny. But they couldn't leave well enough alone and had to make it sentimental pap and re-write the books yet again.

Oh well.

Phil

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was hoping that at the end when she takes out the handbag. That it would have been a picture of T'Pol when she went to visit Carbon Creek and the Vulcan who stayed would have been in the picture.

ps-My only concern was that they left their ship reasonably intact. I am surprised they didn't destroy it further before they left.

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It was okay, I guess, but it also seemed like a case of writers trying to cram thirty minutes of story into an hour of show. [​IMG] There were parts I did dislike - the changing scene was goofy, and I utterly despised the velcro scene. A cynical person might find the way they managed to reference both "The Twilight Zone" (coincidentally, now on right after "Enterprise"!) and "I Love Lucy" (coincidentally, coming soon on DVD from Paramount!) pointed.
    Because, really, who here thinks that Braga & Berman would recognize the irony in a "Star Trek" show referencing "I Love Lucy"? Though maybe Chris Black would.
    Good enough, I guess, and maybe I'm being unreasonable to expect more from "Star Trek" than an "it doesn't outright suck" level of quality. Maybe I shouldn't ask whether the Vulcans had apparently studied American-accented English just in case they crashed. Maybe I shouldn't wonder whether the guy who stayed got to see Khan Noonian Singh, Colonel Green, and whatever led to the environments we saw in "Encounter At Farpoint" and First Contact, which would kind of undercut some of the atmosphere they were trying to create.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Man, I'm usually the first one willing to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story and have even spoken against fans who are insistent upon the "timeline." But damn, even I was hitting my head up against the wall.

Vulcans in the 50s? WTF?!
    No one thought they were weird. They just fit in seemlessly- even got jobs! Uh-huh, right.
    A Vulcan stays on Earth to study humanity but no one ever recovers his records? I mean, fine T'Pol's ancestor said he was dead, but to just leave him with no way of retrieving his data?

And then all the questions Tripp asked were brushed aside with the hint that it was all fiction- and then she finds the purse. So it was real, yet they're basically saying that it doesn't matter, folks. It was a big "F*** YOU" to the fans.

At this point, I only watch because I'm a Trekkie and this (sort of) has the Trek name attached to it.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, the only gaping plot hole is the BIG HONKING SHIP they left in the woods

8. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator

Excellent episode that shows the Vulcans in a better light than they have been lately

9. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator

Regardless of what the previous posters have said, I found this episode to be perhaps the best of the series thus far.

"and then all the questions Tripp asked were brushed aside with the hint that it was all fiction- and then she finds the purse. So it was real, yet they're basically saying that it doesn't matter, folks. It was a big "F*** YOU" to the fans."

Totally disagree with this - why is it so unbelievable that the Vulcans would've been studying the Earth for years before First Contact was made? That is what the Federation would later do (as evidenced in TNG) - I think you are way off on this one.

I think it showed the Vulcans as showing a true understanding of humans for the first time in this series (outside of T'Pol, of course).

Besides, after the joke that is the temporal cold war, this was indeed a treat. The series should focus on things more related to its time period, like humanity's first steps into the galaxy, its relationship with the Vulcans and the building blocks of the Federation - not a futuristic war that would be out of place even in the 24th century.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Regarding the Vulcan ship being left behind: Says who?[​IMG]
    I just rewatched the last scene and there is NO wreckage visible. I think it would be logical[​IMG] to assume that the Vulcans vaporized the ship before leaving.
    I also caught the two Paramount plugs but regarding I Love Lucy, I took that as a nod to Desilu who produced the first season or two of the original series.

12. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

13. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

It certainly wasn't my favorite episode so far, but I liked it. I have always enjoyed Star Trek (epecially the movies), but have never been a devoted fan. I watched the original series tons when I was a kid, then watched most of Next Generation. I never got into DS9 or Voyager. But I really like the characters in Enterprise. I think this episode was a fun side story that is told second hand and should be taken with a grain of salt. I understand how true Trek addicts can find faults in episodes like this one, but for me it was a fun time. Next weeks episode looks great. I can't ever see myself complaining about Blalock's lack of clothing at times on the show, BTW.

14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I agree with Tino, it was a fun and a goofy episode.

Maybe B&B did realize the "I Love Lucy" reference and put in there for the fans.

Sure the Vulcans seemed really emotional. And they did fit into that town easily. But they are Vulcans of 200 years before Archer's time and 150 years before Kirk and Spock. So maybe we should let it slid in that regard, they are developing as a race too.

And I'm sure the Vulcan ship vaporized the wreakage off-camera. The Velco bit could have been a nod to Star Trek 4 and transparent aluminum.

By the shows end, I stopped questioning it so much and just enjoyed a diverting change of pace. It was fun. And the end with the purse, it could have been a little reminder for T'Pol of her trip to Carbon Creek and not really her Great Grand Mother's. I like how the end was left open to you to interpret. I can't tell if the story was real or not. I think that was the point.

Nelson

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Berman and Braga have proven that no creativity (or talent) is necessary when cobbling together yet another cookie-cutter edition of this ill-advised incarnation of the Roddenberry phenomenon.
    The two simply walk into the Star Trek parts-bin room, and pull out standard-issue Trek cliches for inclusion. Stealing somebody else's drying laundry so as to pass for an Earthling? Easy: Kirk and Spock first tried that in TOS's "City on the Edge of Forever." Stranded Vulcans need to earn some quick cash by indulging in some gaming activities? No pro'; Data did the same thing in "Time's Arrow, Part 1." And on and on.
    Too, this Enterprise episode proved great at upholding a dismal post-TOS tradition: the inability to find people who know how to portray a suppressed-emotion Vulcan properly. Only Voyager's Tim Russ has come close to getting it right (irony or ironies).
    So, this episode most certainly did not work for me.
    Attention, Jason Seaver: We've discussed the lack of any mention of a Starship Enterprise prior to the original NCC-1701 in terms of invalidating this new series' basic concept. I believe you stated that such was never truly mentioned explicitly. Well, I happened to be looking at my DVD copy of TNG's fourth-season episode "Remember Me." At one point, Beverly asks the computer for a brief historical synopsis of the NCC-1701D. The computer replies that the 1701D is "the fifth starship to bear the name 'Enterprise.'"
    Response? [​IMG]

16. Dan Paolozza

Dan Paolozza Stunt Coordinator

I like what they've done with the Vulcans. After TOS, there wasn't too many places to go with the Vulcans on a regular basis. To me, they were bordering on unconvincing - I don't buy that they are perfect, or even perfectly logical. I think Enterprise is delving into some of the inconsistencies and imperfections in the Vulcan civilization/psyche. I love that they have this ever-present superiority complex, and that projecting themselves as near-perfect or perfectly-logical gives rise to glaring double-standards in the real universe (at least from time to time).

I'm well aware of Enterprise's shortcomings, but there's "enough" good or interesting that I'm still willing to stick around from week to week. Faint praise? I think it's all relative.

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There's also the picture wall in TMP [​IMG]

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

19. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Preach on, brother. I never really got why it was a big deal; do we really expect the entire Vulcan culture to be completely homogenous? Even here on Earth, folks exhibit different degrees of adherence to their religion's precepts. And you've got to allow for some variety there to make the characters individual.
    Besides, I seem to recall that Spock was unusually controlled - that, because he was half-human, he had to work even harder to please his demanding father (among others).
    Vulcans have always had emotions, and they've always been hypocritical about how they aren't ruled by them (what keeps all of them from going in for Kohlinar? Pride? But isn't that...), from Sarek in "Journey To Babel" to Sisko's nemesis in "Take Me Out To The Holodeck". "Enterprise" is just one of the first times we've really gotten to see a wide variety of Vulcan characters, or that the writers have really had to fit the contradictory bits invented about them for various single TOS episodes into a single, coherent culture.

20. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit