Enterprise 3.20.02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nelson Au, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

A pretty good episode after the long wait. Though it was pretty obvious who they were hunting.

What I liked was that Archer is becoming harder and a bit more sophistcated. I mean in the way he resolved this situation without interfering directly with the hunters.

A bit of a throw back to the morality type stories of Twilight Zone and The Original Star Trek series. I'm playing a new game now, name the TOS episode that Enterprise episodes seem to resemble. This one is a sort of remake of The Devil in the Dark, except that they help these Hortas hide.

Just my take, Nelson

2. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

It's a shame that it was so preachy.

"I promise Captian, I won't kill anything."

This from the weapons officer....

Yet they all comented on how good the fresh meat tasted!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Damn. Had to work late last night, and I missed it. Must wait for Sunday before I can discuss this intelligently.

Overall, though, how did this episode rank compared with all others thus far?

4. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Jack,
    It was not a bad episode, but it just seemed to lecture you on morals.. it would have been a better Nex Gen episode.
    I'll spoiler tag the rest... read at your own risk,

Enterprise encounters a rouge planet (with out a star rotate about), on this planet is a group of aliens on a hunting expedition. They are hunting a very elusive and dangerous prey, that ends up to be an intelagent (sanctioned)life form.
    The aliens where too human... they sat round drinking, toasting each other, teasing each other, slapping each other on the back... your stereotypical "redneck" hunter depiction. (They should have been Klingons! [​IMG] ) The prey ends up appearing to us as the "perfect" women. Too contrived for me. Rough rugged men out to murder the innocent and beautiful women, who means them no harm. The Enterprise crew was just too goody-two-shoes for me. And of course, the Doctor (in just a matter of minutes) develops a magic potion that saves the day... no sweat... never met this life form before, but we can modify its natural biological response system with no side effects, Really!
    No good Aliens where harmed in the making of this Enterprise episode... only bad Aliens.

The more I think about it, the less I like this episode.[​IMG]

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

It did seem extremely hypocritical of them to be enjoying eating meat but are against killing or hunting. [​IMG] You can't have one without the other. "I promise I won't kill anything...I'll just devour the carcass."

6. Nelson Au

Spoilers below:

I did not catch that the meat they all enjoyed at the camp was from the prey they tried so hard to hunt. Are you guys sure of this? I would have bet Archer and crew would not have been able to stomach that!

I liked the "I won't kill anything" line.

Nelson

7. Bill Catherall

The meat did not come from the wraiths. It was some other animal. But the point is, they were all sitting around enjoying a big slab of meat but at the same time saying "Oh...hunting. Yeah, we humans are above that now. Hunting is bad...eating meat is good." Hypocritical.

8. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

No, the meat was from the wild boars/pigs. Trip (I think) commented to the Doctor on how much he liked the pig. The Enterprise crew was against killing "anything", not just sanctioned beings.
    Of course T'Pol never went on about being a vegaterian... missed opportunity, or she's getting humanized. In fact the Captian sounded more Vulcan then T'Pol.

The more I think about this episode...

9. Nelson Au

Your point is well taken. And one I missed. I was focused on what the girl was.

I don't want ot get into an argument, but to me, it seemed that in Archer's time, or perhaps B&B are saying that in our own time, we all eat meat for the most part. We buy meat from the store. But we can all say that we would not kill a cow for it. I wouldn't. But it's easy to ignore that someone killed that animal as we enjoy our steak.

Nelson

10. Dan M~

Dan M~ Second Unit

Nelson,

11. Bill Catherall

Was it just a coincidence that this episode was aired on the day of the "The Great American Meatout?" [​IMG]

12. Nelson Au

Dan-
    I was just, "supposing".
    Nelson[​IMG]

13. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Basically a tepid combination of "Devil in the Dark" and "The Man Trap". Minus the suspense, of course. Would it kill the writers to make us believe the universe is a dangerous place? Oh, and add some really hypocritical moralizing.
    I was intrigued, initially, with the appearance of a rogue planet. IIRC, this is a new idea to be used on Star Trek. However, I couldn't help wondering how a jungle grows on a planet with no sunlight. Mushrooms and lichen would make more sense to me, but I'm no Brannan Braga.
    I don't know, I'm thinking it's time to start ignoring Enterprise and maybe check in every few years. Rick Berman just signed a new 5-year deal with Paramount, so there's little hope of the show improving. The suits are obviously pleased with Rick's performance, why rock the boat? [​IMG]

14. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I know a number of people who are very anti-hunting and all of them eat meat. Many find the act of hunting an animal much worse than having one killed in a slaughterhouse.

I didn't think it odd at all that they will eat the meat but not hunt the animal...

15. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I know a number of people who are very anti-hunting and all of them eat meat. Many find the act of hunting an animal much worse than having one killed in a slaughterhouse.

I didn't think it odd at all that they will eat the meat but not hunt the animal...

16. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Steve Enemark wrote:

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Who wrote the episode, btw? Also, if the planet is not receiving any direct sunlight, how in hell is there any life at all on it? Was that the topic of any Treknobabble during the show?

18. Bill Catherall

19. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

I don't know why the planet's core should have cooled, I mean Earth's hasn't. It's because of radioactive decay that planet cores stay hot for billions of years, IIRC. However, it seems unlikely that volcanic vents would provide an oxygen atmosphere. It would be nice to see the crew occasionally don space suits when exploring hostile environments.
    BTW, did I miss the explanation about how the hunter aliens knew English? I thought maybe the universal translator was being used, but then Archer made a point of asking the shapeshifter woman how he could understand her.
    Jack- teleplay was credited to sf luminary Chris Black, whose previous credits include Xena, Sliders and Cleopatra 2525. Ranks right up there with Matheson, Sturgeon and Blish, eh? [​IMG]

20. Bill Catherall