What's new

Enterprise 2002-12-11: mind-melded thread. (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Speaking of speckling, was it similar enough to Dax's speckling to mean any connection? I know Dax was a symbiote and all and there was no mention of Queen Legs being one.

I was thinking too, isn't the 2 hundred something days until her coronation just shy of a normal human gestation period!? Is she gonna have Trip's baby?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
and crashing on Yoda's swamp
That was exactly my reaction. We were waiting for Yoda to come out and teach them how to be Jedis.

I was also waiting to see how long it took for Trip's shirt to come off. I wasn't disappointed.

While this wasn't a bad episode, it was painfully predictable. My girlfriend said, if it was a Next Gen epidode, there would have been a twist somewhere.

Also, was the actress supposed to be stiff, or was she just a bad actress? I don't know...

Jason

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I think B&B had just watched that Madonna film, Swept Away, which was a remake, so they must have thought we'll do a bad remake of another bad remake! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a goofy episode. It was trying to show more of Tripp's character. (I hope this was not the first of the attempts to retool the show as the article in last week's TV GUide reported)

While Spock was having "fun" with the attempts to escape in "I, Mudd", looks like they tried the same with T'Pol here in this segment. "I,Mudd" was a comedy episode. I didn't feel there was enough to explain that goofy interogation of the alien. Is T'Pol really going to agree to do such a thing? Was this episode meant to be the same as an "I,Mudd" type show? I guess it was, but it didn't like it knew what it wanted to be.

As a goofy show, I saw it that way and it was mindless fun, with a lot of great production values.

I happen to be watching Metamorphasis, The Changling and The Inner Light earlier in the day. What good stuff Trek was...

Nelson

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. In fact, I wanted to mention "Troyius" last night, but I forgot how to spell it, and since it was late I didn't want to yank out my copy of Star Trek Encyclopedia. Not only "Elaan of Troyius," but there's a sprinkling in it of "The Companion" too.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Ahh, but I am waiting for this Sunday evening, when I can do and fold the laundry (that is, something productive) while struggling through another wretched Enterprise episode. Not even bothering with the Wednesday-evening broadcast any longer.
It's funny: last night while groaning at how bad this episode was, I found myself thinking "oh boy, Briggs is gonna hate this!":D I changed the channels.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
While this wasn't a bad episode, it was painfully predictable.
Ye gods, if being "painful" doesn't make an episode bad, what does?

Ah, well. Glad I missed it. And, it looks like no new B&B until mid-February when they inflict the Temporal Cold War upon all you guys who still watch episodes they have a writing credit on again.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
The Temporal Cold War is about the dumbest thing they could have come up with for a story arc! All they've managed to do is complicate things beyond repair!

Why not have the story arc be the birth of The Federation, the Prime Directive, etc. Isn't that the whole point of going back to this point?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I am not making this up, and it sure provides a hell of a perspective:

Just prior to Enterprise and by sheer luck of the draw, I finally got to disc seven of my Season Five TNG boxset last night. And the leadoff episode is "The Inner Light." So, watching one of Star Trek's greatest-ever moments prior to being subjected to Enterprise did not help.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
This episode sucked. It totally ripped off several concepts and issues directly from several sources contained in the breadth of human history. When will these guys learn to be creative and give birth to an entirely new way of thinking, an entirely new paradigm in entertainment and artistic thought that references nothing in human civilization to date?

Do I need to explain myself further?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Your sarcasm would be more appreciated if B&B had done something other than regurgitate stories without new spins for the past eight years or so.

BTW, did this one have one of those patented Enterprise "teasers that don't"? One of the things that has really bothered me in the past few weeks is how completely un-interesting the pre-credits portion has been. It's almost like the bumble-B administration in microcosm, where they feel no need to actually grab your interest, but are just content to assume that regular viewers will continue to watch regardless.

Dan Paolozza

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't really defending B&B. I just noticed a few posts here and there with lists of "influences" that seem to get longer and longer. I've missed the last 4 episodes prior to last night's, and I'm by no means impressed with the series right now. However, I can't help but notice when it seems the bashing of "derrivativeness" gets a little too extensive in the "derrivativeness" department.

So yeah, I just wanted to say it for the sake of it, not because I think the show is original.

Glad I stirred someone to respond, though. My posts have become all to benign and jaded of late.

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Then secondly while T'Pol is talking with our friend before the 'tribunal' she asks how tall he is, "point eight metres" he replies. Holy heck, you mean we've been watching dwarves and hobbits this whole time!? (For our 'Imperial' friends, that's just over 2 and 1/2 feet tall).
I could've sworn he said one point eight meters, which is about right. Actually, the part that I thought was off was him saying 72 kilograms for his weight; the problem is that weight is a relative term, depending on the gravity field where its measured.
Anyway, I thought the episode was pretty blah. The bit with T'Pol playing the grand bitch of the tribunal was cute in a way, but I think out of character. The story between Trip & the monarch babe was derivative & cliched, but I can accept that if it's done well. This wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that good either.
After the last several episodes of Enterprise, despite what I thought was a promising first season I find myself quoting Willow: "Bored now."

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Actually he said point eight metres, not one point eight... we rewound just to make sure .
Actually, he did say "one point eight metres", though to be fair, the "one" is only just audible.
As clueless as the Enterprise writing team may seem to be, I'm sure that even they would have caught that one. ;)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Yes, lots of SW symbolism.

She was on a diplomatic mission, captured, crew killed. The whole Han/Leia air to the escape, then no plan. Looking for a planet ala Bespin. The crash, first thing I said was, hey it looks like Dagobah.

BobV

Second Unit
Actually, he did say "one point eight metres", though to be fair, the "one" is only just audible.
Aha fine sir, you are correct. Yes, the 'one' is basically inaudible but you can see him mouth the word 'one'.
In that case, I guess the episode wasn't too bad then :) .
I still stand firm on my 'docking in launch bay' comment though, no getting around that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks