Enterprise 2002-12-11: mind-melded thread.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francois Caron, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Actually, I'm an hour away from watching it a day early on Edmonton's A-Channel. But since tonight's episode is written by the B&B Gruesome Twosome, should I even bother?
    Here's the synopsis as posted on the StarTrek.com Web site.

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

No. Read the reviews later and if it looks good watch it on Space on Sunday.

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm a-passing unless I hear really good reviews.

4. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    "Precious Cargo"

Is it me? Are my expectations set too high for this show?

Why? Why the cliches? And one after another? I was prepared to cut them some slack, due to the fact that after so many years and so many TV shows, practically everything can be boiled down to a common original theme. But this is ridiculous!! And they're so blatent! No nuance, no twists.. NOTHING! Throw us a bone, for the love of God!

First the "fish/alien out of water" then, "Seven Samurai", then the "None of it was real", now the "Opposites attract" or "rich aloof woman falls for rugged outdoorsman/greasemonkey/ ad nauseum..".

Is it me? If it is I'll gladly undergo the shock treatments..

What do YOU think?

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Uuhhm.. So the answer is.. no. I just got finished watching, in a word, "no!". And this is coming from a fan..

6. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

No, no, bad, bad, silly, stupid, pointless drivel, bad, suck, awful WHY?!

Okay, now that my bout with Tourets is done: Yes, this was absolutely pointless. I was kinda digging beginning the show with a harmonica, showing the Enterprise flying by: much more original than the same old sonic wallpaper. But then the story they feisted on us was absolute drivel. I mean, the moment we found out that the woman was a monarch, who couldn't help but be miles ahead of B&B. The rest of the episode became absolutely superfluous: she complains a lot, he fixes things, they argue, they kiss, he conveniently has to remove clothing. It's a tired, tired cliched story, which was better suited to Spaceballs.
    This show is quickly going the way of Voyager in my mind. I am so entirely close to dropping this from my weekly viewing that they'll have to do a LOT better next week (and coming weeks consistently) to keep me on board as a viewer. I used to like this show, but it's boiled down to the same old garbage.

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I watched Tech-TV's repeat of "The Screensavers" instead. Much more entertaining! And after reading a few of the reviews, I'm glad I did.

8. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I dunno...I watched it...and kinda enjoyed it. I mean..not an epic trek episode...but the hour went quickly.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ahh, but I am waiting for this Sunday evening, when I can do and fold the laundry (that is, something productive) while struggling through another wretched Enterprise episode. Not even bothering with the Wednesday-evening broadcast any longer.

10. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

For the love of God, NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

11. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Close your eyes, cover your ears, and run to the hills.

12. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Jack,

I wish I had your conviction man. I watched this and it was average. Not great and not completely offensive. Although that comment about "sexing" up the show flashed in my mind as the show took it's predictable turn near the end.

So it looks like they think Trio is the new Kirk.

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I enjoyed this episode, as an homage to the Leia/HanSolo dynamic (including R2D2 & C3PO's escape pod, and the crash landing on Yoda's swamp).

It was fun and frivolous, which is better than B&B's tendency to be ponderous and dull.

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Didn't realize there were two threads on this one. In case the other thread vanishes: I liked the episode as an homage to the Leia/HanSolo dynamic (and the nods to R2D2 and C3PO's escape pod, and crashing on Yoda's swamp).

It was a fun and frivolous episode, which is better than B&B's tendency to be ponderous. Another non-painful episode in a row and I'll have some hope.

Otherwise, I expect at the end of season two they will return to Earth, and relaunch the ship next season with a revamped motivation (a trip to Vulcan, perhaps?) and some cast changes.

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

16. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

My wife did exclaim "There's Yoda!" at one point. Of course I had already called the planet "Dagobah-like" but she's not that big a SW geek. Ya know, like me.
    Oh wait, this is Trek. Paying homage to SW.
    I actually enjoyed this ep. It was breezy and the interrogation scene was amusing. Grand Moff Tpol and all. [​IMG]

17. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Yes, of coarse it reminded you of other episodes of other shows! It's been beaten to death! Why couldn't they have done it, but with a twist, or with a different take?
    This is a disturbing trend.. If they can't mix in better episodes along with this drivel I think B&B will have overplayed their hand (that being that we'll accept any garbage they throw at as if it has the Star Trek stamp on it, and that the studio will remain 100% behind them for at least the first couple of seasons), and the show will be cancelled.
    Which, as I'll say again and again, would be a shame, considering the show's tremendous potential. I hope the real trekkies are getting organized and vocal about all this. Hell, I'd contribute, If I knew where to go. I sure hope they don't LIKE this kind of crap.. [​IMG] No.. if the casual fans are this mad, imagine what they're feeling!

18. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

"My keyboard into your keyboard."

The two threads have thus been melded.

Saw this episode. A mishmash of TOS, TNG, and DS9 elements. Shall I tick off the ways?

Note also the abrasive use of cast/character humor as a manipulative ploy to endear us to the series.

Red alert.

19. BobV

BobV Second Unit

Well, it didn't stink the joint out, was mildly entertaining. I think I'd rate it around a Warp 6 on the ole Warp 10 scale.

On a side note, there were a couple of GLARING technical gaffs. Firstly, Captain Archer tells the alien-of-the-week that they could "dock in the launch bay"... er... didn't any of them look at the size of their guest's ship? The cargo ship was not a heck of a lot smaller than Enterprise... how the heck.... ah forget it.

Then secondly while T'Pol is talking with our friend before the 'tribunal' she asks how tall he is, "point eight metres" he replies. Holy heck, you mean we've been watching dwarves and hobbits this whole time!? (For our 'Imperial' friends, that's just over 2 and 1/2 feet tall).

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Will_B wrote: