What's new

Enterprise 2002-10-16: you'll have to make up your own minds on this one. (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Note: no spoilers in this post. I hate them as much as everyone else.

The Enterprise arrived at the Kreetassans home planet so they could barter for some much needed replacement plasma injectors. For those who don't remember the Kreetassans, they're the race that's easily offended by just about anything the human species does such as eating in public. Long after arriving on the surface, Archer, T'pol, Hoshi and Porthos are suddenly kicked off the planet for yet another undetermined offense. Unfortunately, Porthos picked up a harmful pathogen and doctor Phlox must now work hard at treating Porthos while Archer stands by his ailing pet. It makes for a very rough night for the captain as all kinds of bizarre incidents and discussions occur during the ship's night cycle.

I'm not even sure if I liked or hated the episode. It certainly was different, going where no Star Trek episode has ever gone before to the best of my knowledge. The best advice I can give all of you is to watch this episode and formulate your own opinions. I'll probably still be trying to formulate my own opinion on this bizarre yet highly original episode long after the official Wednesday night broadcast.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Porthos picked up a harmful pathogen and doctor Phlox must now work hard at treating Porthos while Archer stands by his ailing pet. It makes for a very rough night for the captain as all kinds of bizarre incidents and discussions occur during the ship's night cycle.
Porthos is the MAN. I've been waiting for this ep :)
Who really runs the ship? We all know it's Porthos, that's why Archer keeps leaving the bridge, he has to consult with Porthos. We all know who the bitch is in THIS relationship :)
My favorite character, we need an entire Porthos-Vision ep. Or better yet, his own TV movie, make that series: "Porthos Trek: Quest for the Cheese"
You know it would pull UPN out of that ratings dungeon :D

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I just finished the episode and couldn't believe how groan-worthy it was. There were times during the hour that I was tempted to grab the Tivo remote and not only skip the rest of the episode but delete the Season Pass.

I don't think an episode can get more painful than this one.

-greg

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I watched the episode. It's too early for me to decide if it was good or not.

We'll know in a couple of hours.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Very Funny Randy

My only criticism: Not enough Porthos

It was good IMO, nice character development for Archer, T'Pol, Flox. I have a feeling the last 2 weeks were expensive tho, given how "Ship in a bottle" this was, and how few sets were used

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they settled the tension issue quickly, rather than drag it out ad naseum. Now they can rekindle it when appropriate, rather than making it some vague background issue like on Voyager.

And as for the doctor, gotta love those tongue scrapers. Goran inducing? Sure, but it was supposed to be.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Anyone else notice that the preview for next week's episode was for a show called "Star Trek: Enterprise?" Will this show get branded? Or was it just UPN's all-too-eager promo division getting ahead of itself?

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
"A Night in Sick Bay", a show that goes to the dogs.
Like most attempts at Trek humor, a mixed bag.
A few questions:
(a) Have I missed something? What's with the menagerie?
(b) In the decontamination chamber, don't women need their backs (and chests) oiled, too (except in men's fantasies)?
(c) Why no military time on Enterprise ("2:00 a.m. in the morning")?
(d) Was the tree carved up in Archer's expiation ritual the tree bepissed by the pooch, or just any old tree?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a real groan inducing episode. At least we don't have to beat around the bush about Archer and T'Pol wanting to get in each other's pants for seven seasons. It was such an obvious hook up from the start, so no surprises, and it would be really stupid to drag this out.

Why not just go right to it and have them get together and have to hide their "forbidden love" for each other due to the Vulcan and Human mistrust and interspecies cultural prejudices (we've seen this "racial" angle before, but not very often on Star Trek)? It would save us from going through the "will they get together, or won't they?" syndrome hell that permiates most other shows through 6 more sweep-weeks.

However, T'Pol wanting human emotions (and suggesting she has the "hots" for Archer, a feeling she should not have at all in her mind) is starting WAY too early in the series. There's not a lot of room to explore. Although, with Berman and Bragga writing this stuff, it's not surprising.

Dan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Rex, indeed it was baptized by Porthos, which was the source of the offense.
And if you're decontaminating, yes, you need the ENTIRE surface area oiled. Of course, they don't actually have to SHOW the threesome. Unnecesary silly titilation
I will be happy if it's Star Trek: Enterprise indeed.
How can you people NOT love Porthos Jack? Can you melt your heart just a little? The rest of the show may be mediocre at best, but Porthos is the real star! :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think you have to assume that the tree that Archer chopped up is the tree that Porthos claimed for his own. :D
As soon as I saw that the writers were Braga and Berman, I knew we'd get some decontamination scenes. The titilation is getting predictable and somewhat wince-inducing. Even the treadmill scene (with T'Pol's twins on display) was almost too much. The B & B boys should be ashamed of their pandering.
The episode did serve as a good character exposition of Phlox, who definitely has a richer history given his training and his marriages and extended families. I did LOL when Archer finds out that Phlox even has a degree in pschology as Flox starts to do some psycho-analyzing of Archer's curtness with T'Pol and the underlying attraction he feels for her.
Porthos is just one of the cutest beagles you'll see on TV. When he's in a scene, I tend to forget about the rest of the crew because he's just a cute pup (and I'm not even a dog person). And yes, Archer is Porthos' bitch.
So the episode is quite an uneven episode, there were some good parts, and many groan-inducing parts.
And also, why does Archer...talk...like...Captain...Kirk...when...he' s...unsure...and...formulating...his..comments... and...retorts?
It's...annoying...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
It was bad. After what seemed like an eternity I looked at the clock and saw that it was only 8:20. After that... it got worse.

I'm sure Gene Roddenberry is turning over in his grave. I have been a Trek fan since the early Seventies and this is the first time I just felt like turning the set off.

-Ric

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Can I say "This episode was for the dogs" without getting bombarded in replys?

Truly horrible, and I liked most of the Voyager episodes too. It is going to take me months to figure out how many ways I didn't like it. Maybe I'll get back when the reruns start up again.

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Wow. I guess Berman and Braga were looking over their shoulders, noticed that "Andromeda" had blown past them in terms of being completely nonsensical (speaking of besmirching Roddenberry's good name, I've built up a whole thread's worth of venting on what Captain Hercules has done to that show), and decided they had to play catch-up. I may have giggled a couple of times, but neither that nor the very cute dog makes up for:

(1) Absolutely nothing happening,
(2) Re-using a plot device that wasn't terribly interesting the first time,
(3) Keying the plot off Archer apparently being an idiot and the last person humanity would want as their representative (see also Janeway, Kathryn),
(4) Apparently not telling Bakula and Blalock that there was supposed to be sexual tension between their characters these past two years, with it thus sounding completely like something Phlox pulled out of his ass.

Once again, I would like to enlist your support for a movement to overthrow Berman & Braga and install Shiban as show-runner until democratic elections can be held.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For once I'm with you Jason, as long as it's a pro-Porthos regime ;)
How do you know this? All I heard was that Archer was perturbed to have to chop up a tree. I didn't ever hear them say which tree he would be required to hack up. Did I miss a line?
Yes, T'Pol goes up to Archer "I believe I have found the source of the offense" "Tell me" "I believe it would be better in your ready room" (cut to RR) *blah blah holy grove of trees blah Porthos urinated on one of them"

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
The one problem I have with it being the same tree is that supposedly the tree Porthos urinated on was hundereds of years old. The one Archer cut up (we don't know that he cut it down, in fact, it was just a trunk, without any branches or leaves) seemed much younger than that.

I'll give B&B the benefit of their experimenting with an episode. Mind you, the experiment failed, but at leat it got tried.

I still love the exchange:
"We need to superhydrate Porthos."
"You're goin to drown my dog?"
"Just for a few hours."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
For once I'm with you Jason, as long as it's a pro-Porthos regime ;)
Well, I can only promise that if I am elected, and I'm sort of a longshot, since my only entertainment-industry experience is working as an usher in a movie theater. Still, if you join the revolution, you'll have a chance to particiapte in drafting the "Star Trek Constitution", and I wouldn't object to it requiring a 3/4 vote of the writing staff to remove any canine members of the cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks