Enterprise 11/27/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by doug zdanivsky, Nov 26, 2002.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    God Damn it! Where is it written that they have to rehash EVERY %$#@* TNG episode!?

This is the SAME episode as the one where Gordi and that other girl get all "invisible" and have to stop these other guys trying to destroy the ship..

C'mon guys! Do something original, fast!

2. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    It also resembles the "Good Kirk, Bad Kirk" episode in TOS.
    Ah, the transporter. What other Star Trek device allows writers with a total lack of imagination to conjure up multiple versions of the same basic screw-up? [​IMG]
    BTW, it's a B&B script. Need I say more?

3. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

To be honest I am not looking forward to watching tonights episode. Partially because of who it's written by and partially because of all the negative Enterprise posts to come later. But I will agree with the majority that anything written by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga usually turns to crap. I wonder when someone at Paramount will start looking to replace these two with someone who will do Trek justice.
    FYI
    12/11/02 - Precious Cargo from a story by Berman and Braga
    12/18/02 - The Catwalk by ?
    01/08/03 - Dawn by ?
    02/05/03 - Stigma by Berman and Braga
    Is there hope for Catwalk and Dawn?
    [​IMG]

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Hey I didn't think of that, but now that you mention it it does seem familiar.
    Anything to see a little more of the communications officer[​IMG]
    Brent

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hmmm... "Precious Cargo" sounds fairly close to the TNG with [far-off look] Famke Janssen [/far-off look].

"Catwalk" is Sussman & Strong, with no B&B credited. They're not great, but they did do "Dead Stop", which could have been something with a better director.

"Dawn" looks like it could be worth seeing - John Shiban wrote it, and Gregg Henry is a pretty dependable guest star.

6. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Insurrection is getting mixed reviews already.

I felt they needed to give the series a rest after DS9, but Trek is Paramount's cash cow, and they just won't leave it be.

Can anyone see Enterprise lasting the full seven seasons?

7. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Enterprise may be in for some SERIOUS re-tooling if it does dot get it's act together. Of course, I said that when I gave up on V'Ger....

The Enterprise Season Pass on my TiVo is on borrowed time....

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Geordi might be surprised to discover that he is not a he.

Anyway, that was Michelle Forbes as Ensign Ro in the episode "The Next Phase."

I don't look forward to the show any longer. Used to in the first months of the first season, though my excitement levels were not terribly high. Now, each week, I have to perform an internal debate: "OK, Briggs, let's see here. It's Wednesday evening. Do want to do Enterprise, or is there anything else you'd rather do, such as going online and pushing HTF members around or popping in a DVD in one of the players or further dialing in the new subwoofer or maybe brushing my cat's fur?"

Really, there's no fun in Trek these days. Hasn't been since DS9 departed. If B&B think they can throw just about anything at us, why should we care?

Hey, I still have a lot of fifth-season TNG eps to plow through. And my online vendor just informed me today that my Season Six boxset has already shipped.

So B&B have a lot to compete against. And Attila the Cat needs his coat brushed tonight.

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Anything to see a little more of the communications officer>

Agreed. One of the reasons why I enjoyed the ep, even if it was a TNG rehash. At least Hoshi got something better to do this time around.

10. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    But you'd think they'd at least wait until they ran out of ideas, THEN start rehashing old stuff..

I'm sure they are already getting major flak from the die-hard Trekkies, at least I hope. I'd like to add my name to a list of pissed off fans to send the head honchos, for sure.. Where would I find out about doing something like that, I wonder?

11. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    doug zdanivsky wrote:

Quote:

God Damn it! Where is it written that they have to rehash EVERY %$#@* TNG episode!? But you'd think they'd at least wait until they ran out of ideas, THEN start rehashing old stuff . . .

The whole concept of "retro-Trek" is a gross form of rehash. No one should be surprised at this development. It was predetermined.

Eric F wrote:

Quote:

Insurrection is getting mixed reviews already.

You mean Nemesis, no?

doug zdanivsky wrote:

Quote:

This is the SAME episode as the one where Gordi and that other girl get all "invisible" and have to stop these other guys trying to destroy the ship . . .

Jack Briggs wrote:

Quote:

Geordi might be surprised to discover that he is not a he.

In fairness to the poster, the statement might be interpretable to mean "that girl other than Hoshi Sato", no? I seriously doubt that LaForge/Burton will be mistaken for a female any time soon.

Fran├žois Caron wrote:

Quote:

It also resembles the "Good Kirk, Bad Kirk" ["The Enemy Within"] episode in TOS.

Only in that it involves the transporter. A better comparison is the episode "Realm of Fear" (TNG), which deals with Reginald Barclay's fear of transporting and the ill effects that come about on the occasion of that episode.

This episode's "turn-offs":

(a) Tripp's ersatz-guilt bout. (You might call it a "guilt-Tripp".)
    (b) They've gone back to the canned-heroic soundtrack of Voyager (and some of TNG). How irritating.
    (c) This is Hoshi's "big adventure" that never happens?????
    What a waste of the audience's time (even if the episode were good)!

Okay, so that explains the fact that:
    1. Hoshi can make physical contact with just the right things to (almost) get the job done?
    2. There are no "intruder-alert" devices on the ship, so that these aliens can slide around undetected all over the most sensitive areas of the ship? (Maybe that was explained while I was out of the room for a couple of minutes.)[/list=1]

12. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I'm gonna say that this one was VERY confusing. I mean, she could walk through walls, doors, and people but she could also crawl around in the ventilation system???? Why didn't she fall through the floor?

Also, what the heck happened at the end? Was it a Dream or what? Yeah, I like the show but this one had me scratching my head A LOT!

13. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

Yes, it was a dream. That is how the laws of physics are broken. It was in Hoshi's mind, the interaction with the world; why she didn't fall throught the floor, why her clothes didn't fall off, etc.

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

And that's why the episode was pointless and a waste of time.

And yes, I meant Nemesis was getting mixed reviews. But it's Trek, so we'll all go see it anyways. There isn't much in the movies to get me to go nowadays anways. That and Two Towers.

15. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

I just looked up some TNG episodes. I am a little surprised to see Rick Berman wrote plenty of good ones back then.
    [​IMG]

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So did Brannon Braga. They're not evil or even necessarily incompetent; they've just been in their current jobs too long.

17. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, Berman was essential in getting the franchise back on track. And Jason is actually correct this time: B&B are burnt out, and they don't care any longer.

18. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

You really have to check out the fairly recent interviews with B&B on the TNG box sets (especially 4). They really put things in perspective.

From the interviews I get the feeling that Braga has finally gotten around to watching all the ToS episodes and is influencing his script writing for Ent.

Major suckage. They're both burnt-out big time. There are so many good SF writers out there who would be more than willing to contribute to Ent. Wouldn't it be nice to see some episodes with Peter David or Diane Duanne in the credits? I often wonder why they haven't gone after some of the better authors from the book series. Are B&B's egos that big?

19. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I guess if it was a dream...my next question is what made her dream? Being caught in the Pattern Buffer? They never really explain it at all.
    Thinking back about "The Dream", that means:
    1. There were NO aliens to kidnap Trip and Mayweather
    2. No one kept telling her to take a nap
    3. Nothing ever happened...she emerged from the Transport 8.5 seconds later.
    Is all this correct? That was the basis for an entire episode...her point of view while being in the freaking transporter? Ok, I'll admit it fellas, this one was pretty weak[​IMG]!

20. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Paul E. Fox II wrote: