Enterprise, 11-20-02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Pryor, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

It's still 2 1/2 hours until 7pm but I just wanted to jump the gun on today's episode. So, how bad is it gonna be? If it says 'written by B&B' please turn the channel!

2. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I said it last week. ive been a enterprise supporter, but the last few weeks have been so bad i had to turn it off and i have never done that with any trek at all not even voyager. A few things i want to see happene

1)Let Bakula get past the "Going to make mistakes" part already . Let him be tough and sure of him self, and not make him sound like hes always doing a lecture

2)Someone do a travis story. Just because someone screwed up his one major story dont take it out on the actor.

3)I know it wont happen but the show needs a continuing story line. The ratings are low anyway, take a chance. They did with DS9 and it was excellent

Capt

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    It's not written by B&B, it's written by someone else. Unfortunately, he seems to have been mentored by B&B because the story isn't that much better.

4. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

5. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I'll probably be in the minority, but I found this to be the most entertaining episode in quite some time. I prefer episodes that focus on the crew rather than the "forehead alien of the week" and this was thankfully a crew episode. Though we've seen the whole "crew acting weird" plot before, I liked seeing this crew have a go at it. I especially enjoyed the "mad doctor" version of Dr. Phlox.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm less than thirty minutes away from it. Wonder if I can log off, turn off the iMac, cover 'er up, give my beloved Attila his second evening meal, and open a beer in time to see it? Oops! A half minute has elapsed already!

7. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Uhhhh...speaking purely as someone who hasn't seen this particular episode yet...doesn't the crew ALWAYS act weird? It's my main pet peeve with this show. What could make this episode special?

8. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    I missed parts of this ("Singularity").
    What is the explanation for there being only one path by which to escape the radiation? Why would it radiate in all directions in three-dimensional space except one?
    Otherwise an "okay" episode by Enterprise standards. Nothing to stay home for.

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

For a "ship in the bottle" money saving episode it was ok. Started out like a Voyager episode and everything reset by the end, no character development, no new insight into the characters.

10. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

11. Jack Briggs

I want to use another metaphor:

If watching Enterprise could be calibrated to some sort of aesthetic speedometer, this episode would have us up to "passable." In Trek terms, we'd be at less than quarter-impulse power.

How many episodes devoted to getting the viewers to love the characters must be endured?

I detected some serious TNG mining going on here.

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm surprised no one mentioned "The Naked Time" of TOS or "The Naked Now" of TNG. Of course the reason for the crew acting odd on those episodes was a virus, not the region of space. Oh wait, they used that on "The Tholian Web" of TOS. Now the TNG writing staff defends "The Naked Now" as an homage to TOS. Perhaps this was Enterprise's homage to TOS.

Actually, I thought this episode was a hoot! I just had myself on autopilot, brain off and enjoyed a lot of good chuckles. Particularly Dr. Phlox. Reed Alert! Nice little joke or node to TOS. I agree though on an earlier comment, we needed to see Archer, shirt torn open and fighting back the effects of the space region and getting the ship out of danger with T'Pol helping out, ala Kirkian style rather then the way he was.

Nelson

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Here's one thing that can save Enterprise

Re-open the open submission policy

Some of TNG's BEST EPISODES came from this.

14. Jack Briggs

Good idea, Jeff.

I was also thinking of "Naked Time" and "Naked Now." Hell, the episode occasionally had tones of "Data's Day."

In maintaining Voyager's tradition of rehashing that which had been rehashed, Enterprise is proving itself to be deserving of the moniker of an early-'90s Los Angeles rock band I used to review and hang out with: They Eat Their Own.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I did a search and didn't find a thread on last week's weak Enterprise episode. I was astounded.

So, with not much else happening, I got around to watching this episode on Saturday. While it was different to see the crew act all belligerent and focused on their own obsessive dealio, the episode was pretty much of a yawner.

Hope they fix that klaxxon sound effect soon, didn't like this original version of it.

(Note - Oops, found the original thread, have merged my comments into that thread).

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

There was one. The usual indifference and disgust interrupted by the inevitable someone claiming that if you just lower your standards, complete mediocrity can look like quality entertainment!

Gotta say, didn't like this one. Even before the magic black hole voodoo hoodoo was kicking in, I was pretty disgusted with what I was seeing.

And the preview for next week looks like B&B have taken a premise filled with philosophical questions and made it a stupid exercise in technobabble. But I suppose I should probably save the "poor rip-offs of TNG's 'The Next Phase'" comments for when I actually see the episode.

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I just love how much trip is like McCoy. His mannerisms, accent at times, the content of what he says, and he does this without being an obvious McCoy impersonation. I was expecting the Captain's chair to look like Kirk's on the original 1701.

18. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I really got the measure of the ep. when the wife woke up after it had finished (fell asleep 10 minutes before the end) and asked me how it ended. When all I could say was, "they flew through an asteroid field and then all woke up OK", I realized that this was an hour of my life I'll never get back.

Martin.