What's new

Enterprise 10/30/02 (1 Viewer)

Eric F

Screenwriter
Yes, yes, I doubt anyone here is a trek-geek of the type depcited in "Trekies" (which is a great mocumentary, if you haven't seen it), we all know it's just entertainment and yet...

It's hard to ingore 30yrs of continuity. There are set rules in the ST universe. Simple, basic things that existed from the first ToS pilot are ignored. If B&B decides none of these rules apply, why bother at all?

That's why I threw up the idea for a series like "Mirror Trek" before Enterprise was announced. Setting Trek in a parallel universe would have been fun. Bring in a totally new cast. Put a new twist on things and it would be OK. Occasionally bring back old friends in new roles. Mess with continuity all you want.

So far Enterprise is just a confusing mess. I suspect this whole "Temporal War" thing will be an "easy out" for B&B. Eventually they can say Ent exists in a parallel universe, (different timeline, whatever) therefore they can do whatever they want.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Bugs Life Analogy = ROFLMAO

Blazing Saddles = Yeah, I thought of that one too!
- Klingon 1 "What do we do now?"
- Klingon 2 "Send someone back to the ship to get a
sh!tload of dimes"

T'Pol's Outfit = Say what you will. She sure looked good walking away from the camera.

Transporter Coordinates = Thought of that instantly, as well. Luckily, I guess, Klingon's Is Stupid!

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Hi, my name is Andrew and I have a problem. Even when crap is rolled out and called ST I am unable to not watch. I think it's in case it ever gets good and I miss something. Maybe because I wonder how long something with this much potential can be murdered. The prognosis is currently 7 years.

The transporter co-ordinates didn't occur to me. Doh! But I did wonder what Warf would have thought of these Klingon's? And what was going to stop them from coming back unexpectedly and killing everyone.

At least I can watch Firefly tonight and Andromeda on Sunday.

The real killer is that this stuff isn't even passable soap operah standard. Forget the sci-fi they can't even write a cognisant story.

Eric F

Screenwriter
They've already shown last season that the Klingons have access to stolen technology, and much of it is superior to Starfleet's. You're right though, it's quite possibly no better, just that the Klingons don't care, have no shuttle, whatever.
Coordinates must have a point of reference (the planet is rotating and moving through its orbit). Do the Klingons actually have one for the planet? Seems just as likely that they kinda know where it is, they lock in on sensors, and then "beam there".
Ok, so point of references can worth both ways. They've been to the settlement many times, know the area, and, even if as you say they need an orbital reference point (which, you would think any computer powerfull enough to handle transport technology could do), there are geographical landmarks that can't be moved.
We're delving into the realm of the geek now, and I resigned not to do that.:) There are plenty of ways to explain the gaffes, but I'd rather not bother.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It can be explained by imagining the lead Klingon said to his transporter chief "Set us down in the middle of their main street."

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Beam large rock to approximately one mile above village
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too cowardly.
Um, Worf and Martok are pretty much the only Klingons we've seen who take the whole code-of-honor thing to heart. These guys were beating up on unarmed colonists and killing people to make examples of them.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did'nt really mind this Ep, but it was no great shakes either. The One glaring thing that I found hard to overlook was'nt the Beam Down co-ordinates Snafu, but the Fact that Trip Leaves Schematics of Earth's Most Powerful Starship, in the Hand of a 10 year old as Bathroom Reading Material. Especially when they've already sown to be on a Natural invasion Route. It does'nt make much sense Hell in a couple of weeks they are doing a whole show onthe retrieval of a lost Communicator, and tonight they left something far more valuable, does'nt anyone question these things in theStory review stage?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

People who care about this stuff are called "continuity Nazis" by the people at the top. So, it seems, TOS really is a long time ago. And I was watching "Journey to Babel" just yesterday on DVD. And then a couple of TNG episodes after that. (Can't wait for Season Five to arrive tomorrow. And then, after the next two sets, DS9 starts arriving! These glad tidings, along—I hope—with a halfway decent Nemesis, keep me hopeful about this Trek obsession. This reads like an outburst, I know.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or does T'Pol walk really strangely, like she throught walking through the terrain like she was walking on a catwalk? It was the most unattractive walk I've seen a female character walk in quite a long time.

Everytime I see a "Story by Berman and Braga" credit, I shudder, and brace myself for full impact of story suckitude.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Everytime I see a "Story by Berman and Braga" credit, I shudder, and brace myself for full impact of story suckitude.
Hey, if it's just "Story By", the guys who wrote the actual teleplay may have banged it into something that didn't suck. It's when the credit just says "Written By" or "Teleplay By" that you know it will suck.

BTW, Jack, did you catch the credits on last week's "Twilight Zone"? Three DS9 guys - Weddle & Thompson(?) for the first and old friend Robert Wolfe on the second. Not perfect, but a definite uptick. I wonder if Ira Behr is starting to assert himself on the show, as opposed to the "New Outer Limits" people.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, this is even more fun - set up some lawn chairs, get out the blood wine, and sit back and watch the puny humans (hey, it took me 45 minutes to realize they were wearing prostheses) realize how doomed they are until the rocks start falling, and then running like crazy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks