What's new

Enterprise 10/30/01 (1 Viewer)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
So the Andorians speak perfect english. A few weeks ago the Klingons also seemed to have learned the language as well as the other alien race.
What gives? I thought that one of the things they were going to deal with in this series were communication problems. Seems the problem has been solved.
Writers getting lazy?
Archer needs some self-defense lessons.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I was hoping, before I saw the pilot, that there would be no translator type devices at all. No dice. And it seems awfully odd that the linguist is able to pick up so much of an alien language so fast...
------------------
Todd.
"Ah, mercury, sweetest of the transitional metals..."
- Sealab 2021

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Laziness?
Ummm, yes. This is where dramatized science fiction fails so miserably. One of the greatest challenges that would be faced during a first-contact scenario is establishing communications.
But, if you'll note in the series thus far, the Enterprise is fitted with the rudimentary beginnings of a "universal translator" device. That, along with the linguist herself, means that some of the already "established" alien languages and dialects have been entered into the database, and are serving as sort of a Rosetta Stone to the stars.
The Vulcans, as we saw in the first episode, already were in contact with the Klingons. Their language(s) are now in the Enterprise's database.
Ahh, but I am serving as a Trek apologist here. If I were to be brutal about this, I'd have to say that the entire premise of, say, Voyager has been invalidated on this linguistic issue. I mean, how could entire species in the Delta Quadrant be understood? What reference points would there have been for the Federation computers to work from?
Off topic: No matter what, I've enjoyed all episodes of Enterprise so far. I certainly couldn't say that during the equivalent stage of the Voyager debacle.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks