What's new

Enterprise 1/30/02 (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Can I chime in too?
This week's Enterprise will be shown in my city tomorrow, so I haven't seen it yet!
So, I won't give my opinion other then: I love that dern theme song!
:)
But about the Romulan-Terran War:
From what I've found out by reading alot of Trek books is that this was one of the most brutal wars ever. Even worse then WWIII.
At many times the Romulans advanced into our solor system (The Sol System) and almost beat us.
The Terrans won because of greater knowledge of the surrounding area and greater moral.
I believe the final battle in that war was that battle of Charon.
That's all I have for this week:
Nathan

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Also, Spock was as shocked as the humans to see the resemblance to Vulcans as the humans. Apparently, the Vulcans did not know about their relationship. The split must have happened in their ancient history, possibly before the time when Vulcans adopted logic as their guiding principle.

Yes, the time line indicates that the split took place shortly after the teachings of Surak (sp) started to be widely adopted. According to a series of books (NOT cannon) One of Surak's best desiples violently opposed the teachings after Vulcan was invaded by a rather tyrannical bunch of aliens who really did not know what they were getting into. IIRC. This means that Vulcans, like Klingons got their start into space violently, by overthrowing a superior technological race. Terrans have more or less pulled themselves up by the bootstraps. This could explain Vulcans seeming need for listening posts, a lingering xenophobia that they manage to conquer, unlike the Romulans.

The explanation given to the reason Romulans and humans had not seen each other was the viewer technology was incompatible. The Romulans did not have high warp capable vessels until an alliance with the Klingons, where the Klingons gave them some D7 cruisers, and the Romulans gave the Klingons the technology for cloaking devices.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I'm detecting something of an incongruity here. The history of the Human-Romulan War as described in Balance of Terror doesn't match the technology we see in Enterprise. In BOT, we're told that the ships were so primitive during the War that each side couldn't see the other. But the ship in Enterprise obviously does have this capability, and it's just as obvious that the events in the series take place prior to the War. We'd have to assume that Romulans had no A/V communications on their ships, which doesn't seem reasonable.

But we know that for nearly 100 years the Federation struggled to integrate romulan technology with federation technology, as seen by the Defiant. She was really the first ship to successfuly integrate a full time cloaking device, and the technology had been captured by the crew of the Enterprise 70+ years previously. So maybe the thought of incompatible A/V technology is acceptable, in the Trek timeline.

We already know that WW III did not take place in the early 90s... so some things in the timeline have changed.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jason: Sincerely sorry to hear about the job sitch; hope that line comes through for you. As for your comments, I will bear them in mind when I watch the episode's repeat on Sunday evening.
NathanP: I would imagine that any interstellar conflict would be "bigger than WWII." :)
All: Incongruity is pandemic in Trek--the very fact of this series testifies to that. If the show's premise had somehow been written into the backstory midway through this entire franchise, there would have been common references to the exploits of the NX-01. We've always thought of the original 1701 as the first starship to bear the name "Enterprise."

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Jack-- I suppose you mean world war 3 ?
I said WW III not WW II.
I forgot what it said in First Contact but I believe over a billion people were killed in WWIII..

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my haste, Nathan--not to mention my deteriorating vision and prescription lenses that need replacing. :)

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
But we know that for nearly 100 years the Federation struggled to integrate romulan technology with federation technology, as seen by the Defiant. She was really the first ship to successfuly integrate a full time cloaking device, and the technology had been captured by the crew of the Enterprise 70+ years previously. So maybe the thought of incompatible A/V technology is acceptable, in the Trek timeline
It wasn't an incompatibility that prevented the Federation from using cloak technology, but rather the Treaty of Alderan, which was signed by the Feds and the Romulans (presumably to end the war), stating that the Federation couldn't develope their own cloaking device. Keep in mind that this is from a canon source (TNG's "The Pegasus").

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So maybe the thought of incompatible A/V technology is acceptable, in the Trek timeline.
That's plausible, but still hard to accept. I mean, in all the episodes of Star Trek I've EVER seen, I've NEVER heard ANYONE say "sorry captain, we can't see them, their A/V technology is incompatible" no matter HOW alien they are.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
OK, time to open up with both barrels. :)
According to The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion, it was the Treaty of Algeron. First rate episode, for what it's worth.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Just to add something more to the discussion, according to "The Pegasus," which I've just rewatched, Picard says "That treaty has kept the peace for 60 years," so it probably wasn't what brought the Fed-Rom war to an end way back when. More likely it was what kept the Roms in their space without disturbing the Feds between Kirk's time and TNG.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
It wasn't an incompatibility that prevented the Federation from using cloak technology, but rather the Treaty of Alderan, which was signed by the Feds and the Romulans (presumably to end the war), stating that the Federation couldn't develope their own cloaking device. Keep in mind that this is from a canon source (TNG's "The Pegasus").
You are right about the treaty(as other pointed out wrong planet name ;)), but I seem to remember Scotty cursing a blue streak about the incompatibilities between the two technologies, just before he successfully integrates the cloak with the Enterprise's sheilding. Well, as close to a blue streak as a seasoned engineer can get while being broadcast to 20th century America.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are we being geeks or what? :)
"The Pegasus" is in my personal top ten of all-time best TNG episodes. Love it.

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
one of the things that sucks about TOS (and I LOVE TOS) is that Kirk's enterprise was the first ship to see the romulans (when they saw the Romulan captain (Sarek's unofficial twin brother) on the viewscreen. They were also mentioned as being the first ship to make contact with the Gorn, so we won't be seeing any Romulans or Gorn on ENT. Suckage extreme.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Finally got to see this show, which was broadcasted tonight. Not a very good episode. :frowning: Hopefully next week's will be better.
Jon

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
You can debate the quality of the writing of the episode all you want but any episode that has T'Pol in the decontamination chamber, in that oh so skimpy outfit, is a good episode.
The producers no this too. That's why they made sure she stretched, and why SHE was the one who got up and walked to the communicator.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Yeah, but Scotty cursed about everything he was asked to do in order to make it seem like he was earning his pay. Don't you remember "Relics?"
LOL, yeah this is true...
I do think we will see the Romulans on Enterprise. We just won't see them. I think we will have encounters with them, I just hope they keep the timeline relatively intact.
Good god, we are geeks :)
Oh, I must confess the opening credits theme has grown on me. I keep thinking I know who the astronaut is; I want to say Gene Cernan(sp), but can't say for certain. My wife thinks it is Neal Armstrong, but I don't think so. I have not been poking though my Apollo stuff to jog my brain yet, anyone know who it is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks