Enterprise 1/30/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Pretty sad when the money shot of the episode is given away in the previews from last week. [​IMG]
    And how come Archer wasn't in the chamber with the other 3?
    I think if I had to classify Tripp's personality, it would be of a trust family bloodhound, he's just so easy going and earnest.
    Archer's dialogue delivery is...so...stilted..., but I did like seeing him using his noggin in "negotiating" with the female Klingon and later the ungrateful Klingon captain.
    Of course, I found it rather funny to see Archer and Tripp so laid back with a total lack of urgency as the trio (Malcom, Hoshi, T'Pol) were on the Klingon ship falling to their deaths, Archer is just poking around the Vulcan archives on Klingons and Tripp is just hanging around waiting on orders.
    But the episode definitely made it into the "did not suck" category for a change.

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Archer wasn't in the decon chamber because he was on the ship for all of five minutes; he'd have been certified as 'clean' and let go, and didn't feel the need to 'get that klingon smell out' like the others. :)

Not a bad episode, but he should have started smacking around the female klingon. I don't think that reading a 900 page essay is going to give him enough cultural background to start dictating what is and isn't honorable to a Klingon warrior.

3. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

To me this episode was rather mediocre. It's not that I disliked it, but there wasn't much to recommend it by. That said, there were some good bits, like the bit of comedy toward the beginning of Reed's cold coming up on the Klingon ship ("I don't smell anything"). All in all, not bad, but not great. Taken in context, it's a good thing that in the past three weeks, this is the worst the show has gotten, because the last two were very strong episodes, and therefore I find it exceedingly tolerable to have something like this. I'd be singing quite a different tune if this were the best episode of the bunch, believe you me.

4. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the sentiment so far, it was an average show. Something still bugs me about female klingons. I dont quite know what it is, but something about them has rubbed me the wrong way.
    I did enjoy the one line where the weapons officer was wondering what photon torpedos and disruptors were. Funny, I didnt know that Klingons put photon torpedos on thier scout ships, much less 6 tubes. Maybe I have been playing Star Fleet Battles too long.
    Gotta love the decontamination scene. [​IMG]
    -ikiru

5. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

So Klingons had Pho-torps first? Would be interesting to see how the newly invented phasers, er sorry, phase cannons, are taken by the Klingons. My understanding of the lore had phasers being stronger then the Klingon disruptors.

Anyway, a light weight episode, but enjoyable. Only real down side was Porthos(sp) was not in the episode. I would like to think that we are seeing a building escalation of events that totally piss the Klingons off, and set them against Earth. We are being ourselves, and the Klingons, themselves. A lot of Earth cultures have a strong “help your fellow man” focus. So our simple desire to help rankles the Klingon mentality. Not one single event will set them against Earth, IMHO, but the fact that they had been the "big bad" (to borrow from BtVS) on the block, and along comes the Terrans, who seem weak to the Klingons at first but refuse to stand down to them. The weakness that Klingons perceive in our willing to help those of “lesser status” totally hides our stubbornness from them. It takes them centuries to puzzle out us Terrans…

What I want to see is the beginnings of the Earth-Romulan conflict, something that takes place early in Earth's warp capable history, and before the Federation's creation. It was a rather nasty event that has never really been settled, as in the future (TNG, etc) the two sides are still separated by a neutral (no-go) zone.

Trying to remember my future history again... Earth barely won, due to the fact that they had (high) warp capable ships, the Romulans did not. Should be an interesting story arc to follow, better then some "temporal cold war" stuff that might happen. The end of the war, and Enterprise's adventures can help forge the creation of the Federation. Actually that is what I want to see, the eventual stories and adventures behind the creation of the Federation.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

IIRC, there already was a neutral zone in the original series. By the time Kirk's enterprise encountered the Romulans for the first time, there already had been a war between the Federation and the Romulans.

7. Lance Nichols

Mike, The USS Enterprise was the first Federation starship to SEE the Romulans. Prior to that no one but the Vulcans knew that the Romulans were a race that spun off of the Vulcans. Due to the great cultural embarrassment of the event that caused the rift they (the Vulcans) have never really been open about the issue.

All combat and negotiations up to the events depicted in TOS had been over subspace and radio.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A disappointing episode, agreed.

As we have been noting in previous threads, there is a rush in this series to get to Trek-business-as-usual. We're engaging in firefights (erm, phaserfights) and starting to behave around the Klingons as though we have been at odds with them for years.

There is too much that's being taken for granted too soon.

Interestingly, it appears as if the Berman/Braga axis is paying close attention to fan commentary and, apparently, market research. Case in point: Last night's debut of a kindler, gentler T'Pol. The scene of bonding between her and Hoshi aboard the Klingon vessel, as well as Blalock's attempts at cocking her eyebrow (a la Spock, Sarek), indicates that someone somewhere at Paramount is surfing the Web in a big way.

If by any chance these studio wonks surf HTF, try this: Exploration, folks. Reaching out into space. Recapture that sense of wonder that comes simply from being Out There.

There's still much potential for this series. But I am beginning to wish that something like it had been set, instead, during the TNG timeframe. Say, a maverick captain and crew in a small Federation vessel that's simply on a mission of exploration. That way, you can keep the usual Trek cast of characters on hand.

Whatever.

9. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

I just love the fact that they haven't yet found a cure for the common cold!

I also liked how Archer used his tactical advantage, the little knowledge he had of Klingon honor and the threat of use of force to save both the Klingons and keep the peace (for now) instead of just being "Happy, Trusting Mr. Diplomat".

Otherwise, as noted above, not the best episode.

-Mike

10. Lance Nichols

Definitely concentrate on exploration. These people are out pushing back earth's boundary’s for the first time. They should be almost gibbering over everything they see. I loved the scene a few episodes ago when they were sending "mission briefs” back to a local school on Earth. Reminiscent of the sort of thing NASA did in the Apollo missions. They want to engage the imagination, we want OUR imagination to be engaged.

We should also hope to see more of the back history of the early Federation. T’Pol’s assignment and reports to Vulcan should be seen as injecting exploration interests back into Vulcan sciences. IIRC, The Andorians, Vulcans, Tellerites and Terrans formed the core of the Federation. I would love to see some joint/cross culture missions, with Archer helping to defuse tensions between Vulcan and the Andorians. Not diplomatically, but by making the two sides work together. Remember that this is history to Kirk and crew. It should be at the very least, as exciting to the Enterprise’s crew as to 1701’s crew.

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Maybe my expectations have been lower, but I have enjoyed the series. 1/30/02's episode was fun, I thought. I like the way the relationships are evolving, and how we are starting off slow in our exploration.

Relationships was something that I thought DS9 was lacking in for a long time. It wasn't until Worf came on board that we actually saw the characters start almost liking each other. TNG was all about the relationships the characters had, as well as TOS. I didn't watch enough of Voyager to get a good idea on that series.

Enterprise is doing just fine, in my book.

13. Jack Briggs

The TOS episode to which Mike refers is the first season's "Balance of Terror." Excellent show. And it is the first time a Federation crew laid eyes on a Romulan, in this case played by Mark Lenard.

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'm detecting something of an incongruity here. The history of the Human-Romulan War as described in Balance of Terror doesn't match the technology we see in Enterprise. In BOT, we're told that the ships were so primitive during the War that each side couldn't see the other. But the ship in Enterprise obviously does have this capability, and it's just as obvious that the events in the series take place prior to the War. We'd have to assume that Romulans had no A/V communications on their ships, which doesn't seem reasonable.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, inconsistencies in the Trek timeline are as common as fleas on a dog.

Part of the appeal of the new Trek show was that it wouldn't have much of the technology we see in the other shows, including visual communication. Yet we already have seen visual communication a number of times.

16. Jack Briggs

Lessee here, the usual cast of HTF Trek characters has chimed in--except for somebody from Cambridge. Jason? I thought my insightful post would have elicited a comment by now. [​IMG]

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hey, I've been busy... Didn't get to watch it until after the Iron Monkey/Peking Opera Blues double feature at the Brattle last night, then they yanked our internet access at work so that we wouldn't email people to say that the entire company was being laid off (so we used the phone). And then, of course, there was drinking... [​IMG]
    (Not a plea for sympathy - we've suspected that the axe would eventually fall for about a year, I've already got a line on a job that won't require an hour's commute in each direction, and we are spending tomorrow morning translating all our code and documentation into double-encrypted Finnish. And I, personally, didn't drink anything, having long ago decided that my movie, comic, electronics, action figure, and Atari collections not being monuments to restraint, it would be best if I didn't develop a taste for alcohol)
    Anyway... I seem to have liked it more than others. The nuts-and-boltsiness of it appealed to me, from the docking and grapplers to Hoshi not being able to translate perfectly, but having to figure out idiom to a certain extent. The plot was about as straightforward as it could be, but the characterization was good and I liked the sense of history in the making, how even the confrontations with the Klingons that don't end in outright disaster do increase tension; I think even those who don't have 35 years of Trek history in their heads can figure out that humans and Klingons will eventually have it out.

18. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

OK, I have a question for you. I noticed that Hoshi looks very much like one of the "we are hot chicks with big breasts" alien babes from 'Dude, Where's my car?'. Checking the credits for that movie revealed that the actrss who plays the character is named Linda Kim. The actress who plays Hoshi is named Linda Park. Is this the same person?? Maybe she got married, hence the name change, or just didn't want her real name associated with Dude, Where's My Car?

19. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I thought it was an 'ok' episode. my only niggle was 'Are the Klingons really that dumb?'

I mean did they really believe this ship that they had never seen before somehow made them all ill?

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Linda Park and Linda Kim appear to be differnt actresses, just check on IMDB for their "resumes".