What's new

ENTERPRISE 05/21/'03: "The Expanse" (2 Viewers)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Found this on a favourite bloggers site, James Lileks. I really liked this posting he did...

I'm postin' the Enterprise/ST portion of his entry, just so you don't have to jump through the first part about his daughter. :) This is kinda long... hope ya enjoy.

Enterprise finale. It was all about 9/11. Proves my point, which isn’t really mine at all and is crushingly obvious besides, but one I’ve been making for years anyway: Star Trek TV shows explicitly mirror the geopolitical climate of its times. Each one is an analogy for the era in which it’s conceived. I’ve written this before but I’m too lazy to find it in the archives, so I’ll repeat myself. Warning: this will contain small fragments of unbelievably dorky insider references. Apology: I know this is of limited interest. Explanation: it’s my website. Accusation: you think I’ve cared one whit about Buffy for seven years? No. Have I said one word against the Slayer? No. I respect people’s adoration of the show. I understand these things. Hell, I still watch Twin Peaks reruns. (Right now, Hugh Hewitt is sending an email to his producer, telling him to get the TP soundtrack. Today Mr. Dub-Aitch’s daily libel accused me of being a comic-book / Star Trek geek - well, duh. Let’s prove him right.)

The original show was your post-Kennedy New Frontier view of the future, with an oversexed cowboy at the helm. You wouldn’t be surprised to learn that Kirk’s first command had been the NCC-109. We all know what that show was about; it’s been pecked to death, so let’s move on.

Next Generation was the New World Order version of Trek. The Enterprise wasn’t a warship threading its way through uncharted seas - it was a space-faring UN agency with a career diplomat in the captain’s chair. A French diplomat, for heaven’s sake.

Geek moment coming down in three . . . two . . . one:

I always half-expected to find that the rest of the Galaxy class ships were named after Secretary Generals.

“Sir, the U Thant and the Hammarskjold are en route to assist.”

“And the Kofi?”

“Last seen in the neutral zone, adrift. . . I’m getting a message from the Waldheim, sir - it’s still in combat maneuvers over Zeon.”

Oh, you want an even more obscure reference? Okay, try this: the Prometheus' modules were named Boutrous, Boutrous, and Ghali. Top that.

Okay, back to a somewhat general-knowledge discussion:

In the original series, the Klingons were the Soviets. In the Next Generation, they were still the Soviets, but now there was a chilly entente. This was a smart move, dramatically speaking; it allowed the show to more time with the Klingons, who were far more fun than any of the stuffy wads-o-rectitude on the Enterprise. (You can trace the entire Klingon subculture to the episode where Riker has a brief tour of duty on a Bird of Prey.) All of a sudden everyone realized these guys were actually alcoholic pirates with a mean sense of humor and a complex social code. And who were the humans? Sober missionaries who never got involved, just showed up to sign treaties. Booooring.

Oh, NextGen did give us a new species: a villainous bunch of misshapen dwarves called the Ferengi, whose social system was ordered entirely around profit. Capitalists.

But I loved the show anyway. We all did. It had its charms, although I could probably do without 70% of the episodes.

Then there’s Deep Space Nine. Standard reaction: I never got into that one. I understand why; as with Next Generation, the first two seasons chewed donkey bris. But it had better characters, and under the guiding hand of Ronald Moore these characters flourished into the most well-rounded cast of all three shows. The show started slowly - Avery Brooks played Sisko as though he was attempting to hypnotize everyone, and it didn’t help that the space station didn’t go anywhere. But the idea was, again, a reflection of the time: an outpost on the edge of a crumbled empire. An embassy in the Balkans, in other words. The space station had a bar, which served as a future version of Rick’s Cafe in “Casablanca.”

The Enterprise had a lunch counter run by Whoopi Goldberg.

In the last few years DS9 just got better and better - a four-year story arc, complex politics, exceptionally acted secondary characters & villains. I still think it’s the gold standard for Star Trek shows.

Voyager. Sigh. Inert, cautious. A show about a ship going home. Some fine moments, but as I said before not one character changed over seven years. And they weren’t really interesting characters to begin with. There will not be a Voyager movie in 2009 that ends with the shocking death of Harry Kim. So how did this sum up the Clinton era? Um . . . it didn’t. But you can see a culture adrift, less concerned with pushing out than pulling back. Yes, yes, “Lost in Space” had the same concept, and it was contemporeanous with the original Trek series, so I suppose my idea falls apart. No - wait! The Borg had a big role in Voyager. They were joyless cyborgs intent on crushing all cultural differences. They were the Republicans! And Cap’t Janeway was Clinton, finding a third way home, striking a deal to free her people! Yes, that’s it!

You think I’m nuts? Look at the series finale. She pardoned, like, 50 Borgs before she left the Delta Quadrant, and I hear she took some china and a chair from Voyager, too. Read it on Drudge!

Which brings us to Enterprise. It’s had some wincingly PC moments, but overall I like it. Sharp characters, with a couple exceptions. Best doctor since McCoy. The obligatory hotcha dame in spandex - Jolene Blalock as the Vulcan T’Pau - can radiate about six things at once just with her posture, and her take on Vulcanism makes Tuvok look like Rip Taylor.

So how is this Trek a reflection of the zeitgeist? Well, it was different right out of the box; it’s set before the Federation was incoporated. It gives us the future as pre-history. The only other aliens on Earth’s side are the Vulcans, who are in this context the Europeans - the older, more cynical, “wiser” culture attempting to restrain this brash upstart planet. There’s no way the show’s creators could have anticipated how prescient this would seem when they thought of the show, but after 9/11 this theme stood out in hot glowing letters. And then came the season finale:

Earth is attacked by a suicide bomber. There's much death and devastation. The Enterprise is sent to a far-off place to retaliate. The Vulcans refuse to help.

It gets better: the area into which the Enterprise heads is called “the Expanse,” which shares the same vowels as “Levant,” and the same concept as “the Empty Quarter.” But that’s probably unintentional. And it’s probably unintentional that the Expanse is known for causing absolute madness to all who go there. We even see a fragment of a log from a Vulcan ship - they’re all at each other’s throats, screaming, drinking blood, etc. Unintentional or not, there’s no other way to read this: the Enterprise is going to the galaxy’s cradle of suicide bombers, and it’s a place where everyone goes absolutely nuts.

No, I’m not saying that’s how the writers regard the Middle East, nor am I saying that the very air of the region makes rational decent people feel stabby. But popular art reflects the era in which it’s born. Time pares away the artfice. Ten years later a nuanced, complex simile is a big white bone on the desert floor.

So the Enteirprise is a few days out of port; Captain Archer and his First Officer are sitting up late at night drinking scotch. (!) The First Officer lost a sister in the suicide attack. He’s not exactly the cheerful fellow he used to be. He kills his drink and glares at the captain with angry, haunted eyes. “Tell me we’re not going to pussyfoot around when we get in there,” he says. “None of that noninterference crap.”

Archer stares out the window. “Whatever it takes,” he says, and he drains his glass.

This is not your father’s Star Trek, you might think. But it is. We’re back to the sixties’ vision of the future. All Kirked up and ready to roll.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There was a time when Trek was appointment Television for me but with Enterprise its just too weak for me to watch again. I gave it a few tries and I think that its just a retread of all other Treks and not even as intersting.
As seen from the ratings it doesnt look like too many people checked out the "BOLD new direction so we'll see how it does next year but I basically think they are grabbing at straws now and we'll see how long there picked away next year.
They are going to try hard, especially up against Smallville.

Frankly the only think that will bring me back is if I hear they get some good new writers in there and they show B&B the door

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I also got the vibe that the exploration of the Deplphic Expanse will be a Voyager Redux. And hey theres 7 years of stories to canabalize there.
Rumor has it that half-way through the next season they will pick up a human female who had been assimilated by the Borg. And Capt. Archer will make it his personal mission to try and re-humanize her. :D

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
****cough****** Star Blazers ******cough*******

Just in case people forgot where JMS ripped off the story for Crusade :)

I enjoyed the finale certainly more than the dren the rest of the series has produced. I am hopeful that the 8 new military characters can bring some much needed bite to the show.

The finale was good enough to allow me to tune in next season, of which I agree with most on here will be Enterprises last if they don't pick things up considerably.

Andy

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I am hopeful that the 8 new military characters can bring some much needed bite to the show.
Not that I really want to see "love and love-type relationships" on Enterprise. But it could be kind of interesting if one of them was a woman and there is an attraction between her and Archer, and T'Pol starts being jealous and has to deal with that.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I may not be coming out of left field because the very first villains that Enterprise encountered were the "Suliban." At that time we were attacking the Taliban in Afghanistan. Coincidence, with B&B at the helm, I don't think so...
And here I thought that tennis player Bjorn Borg was the inspiration for both Bajor and the Borg.

About Archer's comment "whatever it takes" in response to Trip's "please can we kill them" request, hopefully they will discover that not all Vindi are Vindictive. Though their name doesn't inspire much faith.

I don't really see that Enterprise would take on a "Yee haw, my name's Dubble-yew, eat lead!" approach, given that much of its fan base is from Next Gen, which was (as noted above) rooted in civil liberties and generally expoused Progressive philosophies (though I'm not sure the term Progressive was around then). At best they'll discover a varied world (um, region of space) and find allies and...oh no this really does sound like Voyager, doesn't it?

Delphic Expanse...delphic expanse... why does their terminology always sound like it's some horrific surgical procedure?

I keep thinking about the last scifi show that attempted to be interesting by going into anther part of space... Buck Rogers. Gil Gerard flew through some sort of wormhole and wound up in another universe in which the stars looked a bit different. Don't recall that it hurt or helped the show much.

The clouds which surround the delphic expanse reminded me (and probably everyone else) of King Kong, did they not?

John Madia

Second Unit
I just watched "Expanse" (my UPN affiliate doesn't show it until Saturday) and here are some thoughts that ran through my head during the ep:

What's with the shaky cam in the opening scene on the Enterprise? I find it annoying enough in most films and certainly don't need to see it on Star Trek. Also, I felt that everyone's reaction to the news was a bit of; it felt like they were acting like someone who heard the news rather than being like someone who heard the news. Not sure if it was the director's, actors' or writers' fault but I think it was a bit off all three.

The Suliban were able to kidnap Archer with no problem whatsoever. I'm guessing they forget this once they make them the main bad guys again.

Did they really need to bring time travel into this story? Once they did, I started asking questions like "Why not just send someone back to Earth and tell the three ships hanging around that someone was going to attack Earth?" Time travel on this show really gives me a headache. It appears that the federation has the power to travel back in time, just not further back than the time frame of the current episode.

Why does Earth still have a military? Aren't they supposed to be at peace for 100 years now? A better question is why bring new characters into a show when you can't write the current ones compellingly.

Speaking of current characters, I'm glad to see they're trying with Trip but his conversation with Reed seemed rather cliched.

The Klingons seemed rather superfluous.

Overall, I'd have to watch the episode again to really rate it. Once the motivations of the Xindi were revealed as being because of something that happened in the future, my cynical chip intrinsically kicked in and I started looking at everything that was bad with the episode (and series) and didn't look for anything good.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just in case people forgot where JMS ripped off the story for Crusade
Not quite, since Star Blazers actually had a destination that they were heading for, while Crusade was about the search. (and probably to be a lot more, knowing JMS.) Too bad we will probably never know. :frowning:

As for the finale, I missed the first half, so I can't really judge this episode, but I can't really get involved with the characters in this series. I'm afraid that they have lost me and it would take a lot to get me back.

Jason

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>> A better question is why bring new characters into a show when you can't write the current ones compellingly.>>

That's my problem with this 'bold new direction'. It's the same freakin' crew where dealing with here. Who do they think they are foooling? They couldn't make the show interesting with it's current direction, despite plenty of interesting history to fill us in on, so they start up a thought process.

'Hmm, it's obviously not us....must be the show. I KNOW! Lets keep the writers, the people in charge, and most of the main actors, but lets give the show a new heading! That'll fix our problems for sure!'

It'll be really interesting to see how long Paramount will be willing to let the ratings slip, especially if this bold new direction dosn't work. Especially considering it's the same crew t hat couldn't make the first direction work 95% of the time.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Why does Earth still have a military? Aren't they supposed to be at peace for 100 years now? A better question is why bring new characters into a show when you can't write the current ones compellingly.
In the hostile universe you would need a defense force.

John Madia

Second Unit
In the hostile universe you would need a defense force.
Right, but they were acting as if starfleet and the military are two separate entities. Why have a military when Earth has been at peace for a century? Eventually, the two would have merged with the military becoming a subdivision of starfleet used for weapon training, weapon development, etc. So the military would have been assimilated into starfleet rather than being a separate entity. I'm assuming that everyone on Enterprise went through weapon training so they should already be prepared to fight what's out there.

Also, I think they should have had an episode setting up the need for the military in Archer's mind. Have him get in over his head and lose a crew member because of it. It would have given Archer some more character development and made the request for military by Archer seem more sound.

Speaking of character development, why not have Reed select the soldiers and have him lead the hazard team? It would help the Reed character by allowing him to display leadership and give the writers more to do with him.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
You hear me Paramount? There are two reasons your ratings are slipping and there was very little interest in Nemesis, and they both start with a "B."

Can them and hire out some real writing talent. The Farscape writers need work...

Can't these execs. get the picture??

Dan

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
This Farscape praise cracks me up. After watching season one I don't see what all the fuss is!

You still need a defense force even thought there has been peace for 100 years. How do you know a dictator may not arise or a threat from space? Are you going to assume everybody is friendly!

John Madia

Second Unit
You still need a defense force even thought there has been peace for 100 years. How do you know a dictator may not arise or a threat from space? Are you going to assume everybody is friendly!
Didn't they say in TNG they have tests that can determine whether an individual is prone to criminal behavior? I don't doubt the need for law enforcement but I think it would be hard to maintain peace for a century if every country still had a military force.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I meant a Federation like police force, with only one thats in charge of the whole planet.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Not quite, since Star Blazers actually had a destination that they were heading for, while Crusade was about the search. (and probably to be a lot more, knowing JMS.) Too bad we will probably never know.
I do agree that JMS was most likely going to take the series in a different direction as it moved along.

However, there can be no mistake about the all too many similarities between Crusade (what little we knew of it) and Star Blazers.

Andy

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Here's one for the disruption in the timeline, what do you think?

Since we have talked about how the Borg episode has changed the timeline in conjunction with First Contact. Now here is another hypothetical change in the time line:
With the death of Duras by the hand of Archer, let's suppose he is the head of the same Duras family in the future, and his death ends the Duras family. This could lead to: No Duras to spy on Kittimer that leads to the Kittimer massacre. Consequently, Worf does not become an orphan and never joins Star Fleet and his future never happens (no Alexander). He does not marry Jadziah Dax, she probably won't get killed.
Okay, let's say Duras does not matter and someone else spys on Kittimer to cause the massacre which orphans Worf and he joins star fleet.
Whisk forward to the Duras that has his father treason give the blame to Worfs father. He no longer exists, nor does the Duras that Worf kills to avenge K'lar's death, Alexander has both his parents alive, maybe grows up less whimpy. Worf then likely does not court Troi since K'lar is still alive. Also since Duras does not exist, the klingon who dies by his hand still lives (K'hempec?), Gowron does not become chancellor, and perhaps Martok does not go to war, become friends with Worf especially since he will not likely marry Jadziah with K'lar still alive. Martok will not likely become chancellor in the future... and I'm sure there could be more!

it's like one of those things, where you step on a butterfly and affect the future of the world. Oh, well hope all of you found this amusing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks